USAFA (Academy) or ROTC

Guest ZOOKID

I don't want to make it seem about money, but it's something to keep in mind. You can go to USAFA (you can drop the "the USAFA" shit even though it makes sense, sort of) and not have to pay a thing. Graduate debt free other than a low interest car loan, if you elect to take it.

Depends what kind of finances you/your parents have, or what kind of scholarships you can get, but it's pretty hard to beat free.

Guest Lindseyaf

It's not really a car loan. Every junior gets a $30,000 dollar loan. They can use it however they wish. Many put most of it into savings and are able to pay it off with what they make on it. Lots use it on booze.

It is coincidence. Going to the AFA or ### school doesn't make you a good pilot, your personal ability does, not to mention luck and timing (which also has nothing to do w/ what school you went to).

I respect your opinion, but whip should remember he has the rest of his life to "play real AF." Assuming a full career, you'll have 20 yrs of the "real" AF, so it's weak at best to say the AFA is better b/c it's "real" military...which I can only imagine it is nothing close to the real thing; neither is ROTC obviously.

That's a big one. Just b/c one det is incredibly retarded doesn't mean every one is. Find a group of people you like in ROTC and associate w/ them...there will be idiots, avoid them except when necessary. That goes for everywhere, not just ROTC.

Brabus,

First and foremost, I respect you because your to the point. That aside, I think you took what I wrote wrong. Of course theirs rotc grads/ots grads out at Luke, I've just not run across many.

Second, I don't think the AFA is the real AF either. I was talking about ROTC alone and the fact that it isn't like the AF. My statements about ROTC are my own. I just figure if someone is going to come in here and ask about ROTC, I will give them a different perspective. I heard only the good things about ROTC when I first joined and figured out so many things I wished someone would of shared with me from the start, but didn't. ROTC is a commitment that's time consuming and I think if someones gonna commit to it, they should put 100% into it and be happy with their decision to commission that route. So by giving them the heads up from another's perspective, they can take it for what its worth. If its worth nothing, they've lost nothing, if its worth something, hey thats cool.

Third, your right about all dets being different. I would like to see other det's, but I'm stuck here for school and gotta make due with what I've got now.

Hope this cleared up my statements. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That makes sense. Biggest thing was that nothing is like the "real AF" (ROTC, AFA, OTS), so it shouldn't be expected as such. I'm sure the AFA is definitely more "military" than ROTC. My opinion is that you have at least 4 yrs, maybe 20 yrs of the real deal ahead of you, why not enjoy college and get to the "real thing" when you do? Sure you can play Air Force 24/7 at AFA, but why is that a good thing?

Also on another note (in general, not directed at you Yerfer), there are douche bags from every school and every commissioning source. So to anyone deciding on what program to do, don't try to do one so you can avoid all "the gay ROTC nazis" or all "those socially inept zoomies." There's cool dudes and retards everywhere.

• 3 years later...

I have been doing some research online and on baseops and have not found enough info to clear everything up. So here is the deal:

I am currently in AFROTC and I just finished my first year and will be starting up my 2nd year this fall. My first of ROTC and college was substantially better than I expected it to be, finished the year with a 3.65 GPA (Major is Business Finance--save the jokes), and was placed in the top 5% of the ROTC Det. during the end of the Spring semester awards. Now having said that, I am seriously considering transferring to the Academy. I know, I would be a fool to do that considering I have to spend 4 years there and I will already have 2 years of college under my belt before I go, but its just something that I want to do.

Now I am here because I want some info on being a 2nd year college AFROTC cadet and transferring to the Academy. I read somewhere that ROTC cadets don't need Congressional Nominations, they can just get a nomination from there commander at the Detachment. Is this true? Also, does the Academy accept quiet a bit of current ROTC cadets ? I know I didn't have a chance coming out of High School going to the Academy because my grades weren't that great, but after my first year of college and sustaining a decent GPA and having a good year in ROTC I feel that I have a great shot at it. I guess i'm just looking for any helpful info on the subject and how the process goes for a current college/ROTC student who wants to transfer there. Thanks in advance.

At least "back in the day" you still had to get a nomination, but it may possibly be from a "different pot" than the nominations for HS students. It definitely is more than just a DET/CC recommendation. But, I saw a couple dudes do that when I was in ROTC and it seemed a good year in ROTC set them up for the Academy (they both got in). You probably should contact your congressman and find out from that end how the nomination process works (or if it even is any different for you). Nothing wrong with wanting to go to the Academy, but you are just going to prolong the time to get on AD, get to the job you want to do, etc. and in the end, no one could give a rat's ass where you went to school. So, if it's some personal goal that you must do, then that's OK, just realize it's not going to get you anywhere more special and in the end you just took an extra year of school, bullshit reindeer games as a cadet, etc. But up to you...good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

https://admissions.usafa.edu/rrs/afrotc_hms_info.htm

ROTC got about 20 slots to send dudes to the Academy for the 2016 class (starts next Fall.) The link should hopefully tell you what you need to do.

I don't know how you'll be treated. I suspect it'll be like just about anybody else they figure out has prior experience - CAP, Young Marines, JROTC, etc..

• 4 years later...

I am currently active duty as a parachute rigger and I'm struggling with this same dilemma. I pack for the pararescumen and many of them are academy grads, but I have my reservations because they went to USAFA straight out of high school and I am unsure if I want to go through 4 years of BMT meets college. I like the idea of going to a service academy however, the closest degree they have to what I want, criminal justice, is legal studies. I love the opportunities that you have there and the fact that you are being paid to go to college and are guaranteed commission but I also feel like maybe I should try to just go the OTS route. I just completed my CDCs and my next goal is my CCAF and an AS in criminal justice. What do the masses think??

Sounds like you're leaning towards ROTC/OTS.  Pros and cons to everything, but any of those will get you to commissioning...means to an end.  OTS fluctuates a lot in terms of how many people they'll take; the academy or ROTC will give you a higher chance, though going through 4 years of college with zero BS and only having to slug out 12 weeks (or however long OTS is) would be preferred, but also much riskier as you hope there's an OTS slot for you in 4-5 years.  If you want to avoid 4 years of BMT as you put it, do ROTC and don't look back.  I'm very glad I went that route, but I also have a lot of great friends who went the Academy route...we all ended up in the same place, except one side put up with significantly less BS and had significantly more freedom to live a normal lifestyle.  The education is excellent either way.

I have never met a single officer who went to ROTC or OTS who wished they'd gone to USAFA.  I've met plenty of USAFA grads who regret not having a normal college experience.

I agree with that. As a ROTC guy I got the pleasure of spending a week there for some leadership conference. It was terrible, I couldn't wait to get back to my coed dorm with half naked chicks walking through the halls.

Criminal Justice major from ROTC. Went to a cross town state school. Highly recommend. You only have to drink the blue kool aid a couple hours a week. Rest of the time you are free to bang chicks, drink beer, and have a life. ROTC commissions aren't guaranteed anymore  so don't f*ck around to much, keep your nose clean, don't be dick and play the "game" and get good grades and you will be fine. I believe ROTC is offering commissions direct to the guard/reserve now to if you decide in a few years that would be a better fit.