Flashlight Advice

LJDRVR

Fenix Flashlights. I can vouch for the quality - great little lights. Look at the LD10 (120 Lumens, but uses AA batteries), TK11 R2 (small, but puts out 240 Lumens), or PD20 (180 Lumens - 1 Batt).

Try this site too, more information than you could ever want. God knows how someone can spend this much time on flashlights. The main index has every light I've ever/never heard of.

2. Fenix flashlights are great. I have 2 PD30s and an LD20.

• 5 months later...

I gotta get me one of these!

267.jpg

Currently being reviewed by The Guinness Book of World Records, The Torch is the world's brightest and most powerful flashlight. This flashlight is easily capable of melting plastic, lighting paper on fire within seconds, and if you want, frying an egg or a marshmallow on a stick! At 4100 lumens, The Torch is 100 lumens more powerful than The Polarion Helios, the former most powerful flashlight. Looking to buy a bright flashlight? This flashlight torch will not disappoint you.

:rock:

Holy fuck!

Kong-12-MCE - 10,800+ Lumens

Kong-12-MCE.1.jpgKong-12-MCE.2.jpg

Kong-12-MCE.3.jpgKong-12-MCE.4.jpg

Kong-12-MCE

* Powered from twelve 18650 Lithium-Ion Rechargable Batteries (Not included): There are many good 18650 Li-Ion rechargable batteries available on the Internet. For your convenience, I will give a link to one very good brand,which is called 'AW': AW 18650 Li-Ion battery They also have a link on the bottom of their page for a charger. The web site is www.lighthound.com . The 18650 battery used in this flashlight should have nipples, otherwise you need to use little magnets in between the batteries

- Twelve (900 Lumens per LED) Cree MCE LEDs

- Collimating optics

* Two switches, one for high, one for low

* This is one hefty flashlight! : 4.5" x 3.5" head, body is 2" diameter, overall length is 17.5"

* Weighs 6 pounds

* Uses common 18650 Li-Ion rechargable batteries, about 1 hour continuous run time (depends on batteries used).

Brightest LED flashlight in the world! Custom built to order.

$1,499.99

• 1 year later...

Funny you should ask! I just picked up an iTP SC1 Eluma this weekend at the gun show....

ITPSC1.jpg

Very small (uses one CR123 battery), brighter than hell (190 lumens at full strength!) and adjustable settings with a strobe.

Obviously, I can't attest to its long-term durability; but it is much brighter than the Surefire 6P I've been using and a much cleaner light as well (since it's an LED). But if it lives up to expectations, it's one helluva great lashlight!

Cheers! M2

Just an update, as it is rolling up on two years since I got this flashlight. It still works great, the battery (a CR123) lasts a long time (I think I've replaced it once, twice at the most) and with the exception of a few small scratches (I'm tough on it), it looks new.

I've also picked out a couple iNova 24/7s, which are very versatile. I keep one in the Jeep and another attached to the outside of my daily bug out bag (along with the above iTP SC1 Eluma). I like the different options, from low to bright white light, red light (again, for night vision), an SOS flash, a multi-colored strobe and a slow, alternating two-color flash. There is also a very slow, dim flash mode so you can use it to mark a location in very dark conditions. Good shit!

Cheers! M2

• 1 year later...

I have about 3 flashlights I fly with (C-130 LM) and my favorite is the Pelican 2360. It's white (LED) only so using it in a flight deck at night is probably out of the question. I am not a fan of the need to buy the Surefire batteries all the time and think anything that uses normal batteries is probably just as good.

http://www.pelicanproducts.us/c.Pelican.Black.Knight.html

• 1 year later...

2. Fenix flashlights are great. I have 2 PD30s and an LD20.

I got a Fenix PD34 2014 Edition several weeks ago for doing preflight walkarounds. There are 5 different intensities that you can choose, as well as a strobe that is at max brightness. Typically, I use the mid brightness, which is 180 lumens and last up to 10hrs. The max brightness puts out 960 lumens. Very happy with it so far. For $70, I don't think you could find much better out there.

I bought one of these figuring it would not be a tragic loss should the thing prove to be worthless. I ordered 3 more after I got the first one. Very bright and can focus the beam down to put lots of light on things further away.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3C_SC_3p_dp_1

I bought a bunch of the non-adjustable ones about a year ago, half have gone tit's up but at that price they are pretty much disposable. I would advise carrying a back-up if you use on as your primary light source!

P.S. Best response in the Q&A section...

We had some loads on my first deployment buy them. I think the company gave a 10% discount for military. Imagine customs going through and finding it in your bag.

WxMan

Easy fix. Insert (STS) Mini-Mag flashlight into aforementioned device's opening and taa-daa! it's now an actual flashlight, not something else!

The other day Costco had a three pack of these 300 lumen Duracell tactical flashlights on sale for $15, with batteries included. That was after $4 instant off. I tried a pack, and they are pretty bright. The downside is that they are noticeably bigger than some of the smaller "tactical" flashlights, there is no place for a string type thing to hold it, and it does not have a strobe. But it is bright as hell (about 300 lumen bright, ha), and it seems pretty durable so far. It uses the 4 AAA batteries shown there in the box, and inside it has one of the standard rotary bomb launcher things that holds the 4 batteries in it, just like those cheap tin LED lights have.

Overall, for $5 per light, this seems like a very solid flashlight.

• Upvote 1

I have an Inova XO3 in the knife pocket, a red Inova Microlight on the main zipper pull, and a white Microlight on my dogtag chain.

I'm still running this same setup, going on 6 years now. The red Microlight has been replaced once (the switch failed - I use it far more than the others), and I've replaced the batteries in both the Microlights several times. The XO3 is still on the original CR123 batteries; they are on their last legs, but still put out usable light.

With the proliferation of CR123-powered lights in .mil use these days, as long as you're not using the hell out of it (which I know some folks do, due to the nature of their jobs) an LED light running CR123s isn't IMO much of a liability these days.

At my .civ job, I'm running a Streamlight Stinger DS LED as my primary work light. Not terribly practical for aircrew use, unless you can mount & power a charging base in your aircraft (we actually service a couple law enforcement agencies with Streamlight bases hard-mounted and hard-wired into their aircraft), but great for ground duties.

EDIT: spelin

Edited by JarheadBoom