Flashlight Advice

LJDRVR

OK, I've searched about nine different ways and can't find a previous thread.

I've been using a three D - cell, LED Maglite for years. I've just moved to a new jet and my bag is now stuffed to the gills with charts for said airplane. I'm looking for something smaller that will still illuminate all the dark crevasses of a large airplane, with a minimum amount of bag space.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Funny you should ask! I just picked up an iTP SC1 Eluma this weekend at the gun show....

ITPSC1.jpg

Very small (uses one CR123 battery), brighter than hell (190 lumens at full strength!) and adjustable settings with a strobe.

Obviously, I can't attest to its long-term durability; but it is much brighter than the Surefire 6P I’ve been using and a much cleaner light as well (since it’s an LED). But if it lives up to expectations, it’s one helluva great lashlight!

Cheers! M2

nice. I need to get me one of those.

The SC2 is currently the same price, uses two CR123 batteries (so obviously it's longer), and goes up to 220 lumens, but I liked the more compact size of the SC1 better.

I just wish I had checked Amazon.com first. I paid $49.95 plus tax for mine, but it’s still worth it!

Fenix Flashlights. I can vouch for the quality - great little lights. Look at the LD10 (120 Lumens, but uses AA batteries), TK11 R2 (small, but puts out 240 Lumens), or PD20 (180 Lumens - 1 Batt).

Try this site too, more information than you could ever want. God knows how someone can spend this much time on flashlights. The main index has every light I've ever/never heard of.

Edited by Spoo

Guest dropkick_9

Phantom Military Lights

I ordered these for my unit, they are NVG capable, not sure if thats an issue for your current environment but they are also very inexpensive compared with Surefires, also NSN ordering available.

Guest Potsy

Has anyone ever tried the Flitelite flashlights that clip onto your boom mic? It seems like it'd be a good handsfree option for the cockpit. I've been thinking about picking one up so if anyone has any first hand experience let me know.

Edited by Potsy

You asked for smaller, so this probably what you're looking for, but since we're talking flashlights, I use this one and its great.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Flashlights/Light-for-Life-Flashlight-UC3400/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50500/I/53000

It uses no batteries, so its very light. It has a capacitor, and charges in 90 seconds or less. It's big though, not quite as long as a d cell maglight, and a little wider.

Has anyone ever tried the Flitelite flashlights that clip onto your boom mic? It seems like it'd be a good handsfree option for the cockpit. I've been thinking about picking one up so if anyone has any first hand experience let me know.

A-10 guys have lip lights on their O2 masks, one on each side. They work great.

I flew for a long time with an Inova X5. It uses LEDs so the batterys last forever compared to my old mag-lite.

My door prize for my last trip to Iraq was a Surefire U2. If price is no object, this flashlight can't be beat. Its variable power (5 settings) so you can use it to read something in the cockpit or dial it up to check out the top of the tail. It runs on 2 CR123 batteries.

U2_45L_large_24187.png

is a lip light not working out for you? Go talk to your AFE troops, they probably have a stash of lip lights in a drawer somewhere.

Lots of good suggestions.

I have a Surefire G2 (polymer version). I like it, although it can eat 123 batteries (incandescent). Definitely one of the brightest, smaller flashlights that can be had for $30.

I also have one of those little INOVA LED keychain lights (when I don't want to light up an entire room).

I have a Gerber Cornea. Good for walkarounds and a dark jet when the powercart takes a dump. Fits nice in the leg knife pocket which is handy. Cheap too. 22 bones on Amazon.

Edited by snoopyeast

I have an Inova XO3 in the knife pocket, a red Inova Microlight on the main zipper pull, and a white Microlight on my dogtag chain.

Now that the tech behind LEDs has matured, I'll never buy another incandescent flashlight again.

Phantom Military Lights

I ordered these for my unit, they are NVG capable, not sure if thats an issue for your current environment but they are also very inexpensive compared with Surefires, also NSN ordering available.

I tested a Phantom Warrior for a few months when I was in the other service (we had a Reserve MGySgt in our Flight Equipment shop who worked for NAVAIR's Flight Equipment DT&E division at Pax River for his .civ job, and would often use us to do "real world" testing on gear that NAVAIR was looking at) . The NVG-compatible white light was nice to have, but having to explain to grunts and other crewmembers from outside our squadron that it was, in fact, NVG-compatible, got old real quick.

At the time, they weren't cheaper than SureFires, but that may be a different story now, since SF has some really expensive lights available now.

I bought the Scorpion - perfect! Small, light but bright enough to illuminate the large aeroplane during walkarounds.

Thanks, fellas!!

Any of y'all get through Houston, drop me a line - we'll go fly the Cub and tell lies.

:beer:

Edited by LJDRVR

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ruby09

Funny you should ask! I just picked up Handy Flashlights this weekend at the gun show....

Very small (uses one CR123 battery), brighter than hell (190 lumens at full strength!) and adjustable settings with a strobe.

Cheers!

I just got this compact flashlight a few days ago. i love it. The hard anodized finished kept from getting any marks works perfect!!

Edited by Ruby09