ANG Pilot lifestyle/Quality of Life

Guest skipro101

Guest dudemize

It's actually $180.17 per month. Free for 90 days before you deploy for an OEF/OIF trip of more than 30 days, plus the 180 days after you get back. Thanks, NGAUS for the congressional lobby!

Hopefully they are successful in getting Title 32 included in the Post 9/11 Bill and the reduced retirement benefits!

Guest skipro101

Thank you very much for those of you who have replied to my thread I appreciate the insight greatly.

Also, I would like to encourage anyone who is working as a guard or reserve pilot and an airline pilot to comment on your qol/schedule. What does a typical month look like?

Thanks!

Guest skipro101

Here's a typical year, filled with typical months.

I couldn't resist.

Hmmm I see I see. Not really a lot unlike my typical year.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumming doesn't sound easy.

Actually, depending your life/financial situation it can be the best thing going! I have regularly been able to get ~8 months of pay days, without even trying that hard. It was nice, as a captain, to make 65-70k, have 4 full months off, and not pay a dime for tricare (all w/o deploying). Being able to just up and leave for 4 weeks to do whatever I wanted, was awesome! It also provided plenty of time to build up some residual income opportunities. I would still be doing it if I hadn't gone to the airlines.

Of course, being single/no kids helps! Although, if your spouse has a decent job, it can still give you a great QOL.

Edited by SocialD

• 4 months later...

Actually, depending your life/financial situation it can be the best thing going! I have regularly been able to get ~8 months of pay days, without even trying that hard. It was nice, as a captain, to make 65-70k, have 4 full months off, and not pay a dime for tricare (all w/o deploying). Being able to just up and leave for 4 weeks to do whatever I wanted, was awesome! It also provided plenty of time to build up some residual income opportunities. I would still be doing it if I hadn't gone to the airlines.

Of course, being single/no kids helps! Although, if your spouse has a decent job, it can still give you a great QOL.

This sounds like the total opposite of what Hindsight said. Of course being a captain can change that.

• 1 month later...

I'm a full-timer.

We have been doing the job deployed for almost 3 yrs- most traveling once a month for at least a week at a time. This sucks! I'm gone more now than when we were Herks- 120 days last year, and that's on the lower end compared to many others. We hope this will be done by end of the month. But the pay opportunities for the part-timer are crazy compared to my bumming days. I would have killed for the amount of pay days that are available now.

As a full-timer, I'm looking forward to the homestation ops. No more terrible 12's- 12 straight days of work when we have drill wknd. The schedule is going to be much more palatable and I'll get to spend more time with my family.

Edited by herkbum

What would you guys say is the best aircraft or mission for being a "full-time" guard bum? I'd like to make at least $50k+ bumming. I'm married, no kids.

What about SAR? I'd bet you have to be a full timer to sit alert. But it seems like that mission gets plenty of action.

Gents, quick question. Im fresh off AD and was curious if there was any way to take advantage of leave earned while at a formal school? Do you have to get your orders extended to cover the time period you would be on leave? Is this even possible or is the only option to sell it back when your orders are up?

I've only had contingency orders extended to cover my leave days. Keep in mind, you can sell back more than 60 days in your career (if that's your concern). Leave sold from contingency orders and I'm pretty sure any order less than 1 year, don't count toward your 60 day limit.

Edited by SocialD

• 1 month later...