Badass of the Week

contraildash

Badass of the Week

note:

You should probably also be aware that this site features an unnecessarily copious amount of profanity, so if you're easily offended by that sort of thing then this would be a good time for you to turn off your computer and go join a convent.

Randomly came across the site when I googled Captain Ronald Speirs:

Now, among this aforementioned brotherhood of hard-drinking, hard-fighting badasses, few men have been more respected or feared than Captain Ronald Speirs of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. This tough-as-fuck Scottish-born Bostonian crotch-stomped his way across Europe in World War II, generally just kicking asses, ruining German lives, and making a name for himself as a completely fucking insane asskicker who didn't show fear, didn't back down, and didn't hesitate to pop a cap in the face of anyone who pissed him off for any reason.

Anyways, there's some funny-ass stuff on the site, the A-10 entry is great, a good read if ya need to kill some time.

edit for quote

Edited by contraildash

The A-10

The A-10 is like the grizzled old-school Linebacker of the United States Air Force. It's not flashy, it's not super-fast, it's not going to do like twenty barrel rolls just to try and prove to you how huge it's cock is... it just shows up, fucks everyone's shit up, and goes home. Even it's name is a good indicator of the fact that this plane doesn't fuck around. Think of it this way - while all those other hotshot fancy-pants jets are out there flying around doing fruity-ass loop-de-loops, feathering their hair and listening to "Danger Zone" with pretentious fucking extravagant nicknames like "Eagle", "Falcon", "Tomcat", and "Raptor", the A-10 is the fucking Warthog.

The same guy authored the book Badass knocked it out in no time. Great read, lots of the same type of "write ups" for other Badasses. Someone needs to submit Robin Olds to this guy and get him featured as BAOTW. Heck his Wiki page, properly tweeked for Basassness, would work great. (Yes I know it's Wiki, but everything on there I read from a "legitimate" source, its just all consolidated on the Wiki page.)

EDIT because I still can't spell... damn it.

Edited by Stitch

Chuck Yeager

If you were to look up the words "balls-out" or "fearless" in the Great Big Encyclopedia of Ultimate Badassitude, you'd probably just see a giant picture of Chuck Yeager's scrotum. The man was the world's premier test pilot for over three decades, literally getting into giant rocket-propelled flying deathtraps with wings, embarking on the most dangerous flights ever attempted, and blasting through the stratosphere at ludicrous speeds so fast that most lesser people would have their brains blast right out the backs of their heads. The man is an aviation legend, a pioneer in the field of "going as fast as fucking possible just for the sake of being totally awesome", and a guy who made a living out of giving the Grim Reaper the finger, spitting in his eye, and/or pounding him in the balls with a two-by-four. :rock:

It's worth it to check out the Buzz Aldrin Basass page, just to see him 'discussing' his moon landing with a conspiracy nut documentary director.

Personally, I don't know how anyone can look at that video of the 72 year-old ex-fighter pilot and astronaut busting a dude in the face with some old-school fisticuff action and not agree that this man is a badass. Sure, most people probably don't fully understand the extreme physical and mental toughness that goes into the profession of astronauting, but I can assure you that all friends of badassitude can agree that jacking a punk in the face for talking shit to you is one of the most hardcore things you can possibly do. Now Buzz Aldrin has done both.

aldrin.gif

One of my favorites though is Joseph Kittinger:

In August of 1960, he put on a ######ing spacesuit and jumped from 102,800 feet. This was – and is – the highest altitude at which any man has ever been crazy enough to jump out of a moving vehicle. Seriously, any higher, and he might as well have been leaping out of the freaking Space Shuttle. He was in freefall for four and a half minutes, traveling over 714 miles per hour and withstanding temperatures close to -100 degrees Fahrenheit. While hurtling head-first towards the earth like Wile E. Coyote on a bad peyote trip he became the first man to exceed the speed of sound without a vehicle. Re-read that sentence again, and give it a minute for the complete utter insanity of that statement to sink in.

kittinger1.jpg

It's worth it to check out the Buzz Aldrin Basass page, just to see him 'discussing' his moon landing with a conspiracy nut documentary director.

One of my favorites though is Joseph Kittinger:

And now Felix Baumgartner is trying to break Joe's record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGmTV0q2kY

Did Col Kittinger break the sound barrier? The promo clip is trying to claim that Felix will attempt to be the first to go supersonic without an aircraft.

Saw a history channel type show about this guy recently, trying to prove who killed him (Brits or Canucks)

Captain Michael Wittman

While I've long said that the Panther was the most badass tank of World War II, it should be noted that the Tiger is a close second, and in the hands of a guy like Michael Wittman it was deadlier than heart disease and more dangerous than sticking your face in a bag full of angry squirrels.

After fighting basically non-stop for five straight days, the crew of his Tiger had taken out 30 tanks, 28 anti-tank guns, two full batteries of artillery and one of those trucks that drives around and ladles out borscht for $2 a bowl.

I should mention that his turret gunner was a dude named Balthazar, which makes it sound like he had a fvcking demon or some shit sitting in the cockpit with him.

Despite being a goddamned Nazi, Michael Wittman was perhaps the greatest and most daring tank commander the world has ever seen. During his career, he recorded 138 tank kills, 132 anti-tank gun kills, and destroyed hundreds of trucks, carriers, artillery, and errant sportscars. There's even a report that he fired his tank gun at a Russian submarine once, probably just to be awesome. The guy was completely balls-out, afraid of nothing, and capable of killing anything with wheels and/or tracks. He was an accomplished commander, a skilled tactician, and a worthy adversary for Allied forces on both sides of the European Theater.

I love the sportscar and submarine part.

And now Felix Baumgartner is trying to break Joe's record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGmTV0q2kY

Did Col Kittinger break the sound barrier? The promo clip is trying to claim that Felix will attempt to be the first to go supersonic without an aircraft.

Col Kittinger did not break the sound barrier. He achieved 614mph which is pretty damn close at those higher altitudes.

EDIT: I hope this guy can pull it off, but Col Kittinger's jump 50 years prior is still more badass IMO.

Edited by Timbonez

Saw a history channel type show about this guy recently, trying to prove who killed him (Brits or Canucks)

Captain Michael Wittman

I love the sportscar and submarine part.

There's a great book on him by Schiffer Military publishing. Great stories of Tigers taking upwardds of 100 hits from AT Guns and tanks. Imagine sitting in a steel box and just getting peppered by shells...hoping the next one doesn't come through and blow you out the back of your tank.

Cooter

There's a great book on him by Schiffer Military publishing. Great stories of Tigers taking upwardds of 100 hits from AT Guns and tanks. Imagine sitting in a steel box and just getting peppered by shells...hoping the next one doesn't come through and blow you out the back of your tank.

Cooter

Well thanks to the Canucks, Wittman experienced that on the 8th of August 1944.

• 2 years later...

Col Kittinger did not break the sound barrier. He achieved 614mph which is pretty damn close at those higher altitudes.

EDIT: I hope this guy can pull it off, but Col Kittinger's jump 50 years prior is still more badass IMO.

Sounds like Felix's jump (Red Bull Stratos) is back on with a jump window opening up in July. Pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/

That is some gnarly shit, although I posted it in the flying videos thread last week :beer:

Didn't Kittinger almost lose his hand to frostbite because one of his gloves leaked? I thought I read that he realized it was leaking and his hand started to freeze as he was going up, but rather than let anyone know or abort he just said F it and continued all the way to the top! :rock:

Edited by spaceman

They do sponsor some pretty cool events. There was a Red Bull Crashed Ice event here in St. Paul a few weeks back. It was packed down there but a lot of fun to watch.

Holy crap I never really thought of hockey gear as racing equipment... I guess you can make a race out of anything!