Badass of the Week

contraildash

Wow, things are going to be awkward in that household for a while...

"Hey Dad, remember that time you shot and killed my boyfriend when I snuck him into my bed at 2:00AM?"

The best intimidation story ever used on the boyfriend of a daughter was told to me by my Sq/CC at SJAFB. His (at the time) 16 year old daughter had her boyfriend over for dinner and said Sq/CC began to tell the story of the 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash wherein - as he told it - a BUFF full of nuclear weapons crashed in North Carolina and despite exhaustive efforts, they never found all of the weapons.

Imagine a great story teller finishing this elaborate story over dinner and putting his fork down, then leaning in to the young man with eyes towards his daughter and saying, "If all those people with so many resources couldn't find nuclear weapons in North Carolina...what makes you think they would ever find you?"

Sometimes you don't need a gun.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Col (ret) James Kasler has passed away. Three-time Air Force Cross awardee who started out as a B-29 enlisted gunner, F-86 fighter pilot in Korea (and ace), F-105 pilot in Vietnam, and POW in North Vietnam also was awarded 2 Silver Stars, 9 DFCs, 2 BSMs, 2 PHs, and 11 Air Medals. Wow!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Col (ret) James Kasler has passed away. Three-time Air Force Cross awardee who started out as a B-29 enlisted gunner, F-86 fighter pilot in Korea (and ace), F-105 pilot in Vietnam, and POW in North Vietnam also was awarded 2 Silver Stars, 9 DFCs, 2 BSMs, 2 PHs, and 11 Air Medals. Wow!

:beer:

http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/decorated-pow-pilot-james-h-kasler-dies-at/article_66e6d821-262c-58ad-8fc9-3878fb98b02f.html

Had the chance to meet him in college not too far from where he ran that golf course. There is a pretty nice writeup about him on the portal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Survivor of Pearl Harbor attack (Bougainville, Pelileu, Okinawa and Korea) dies at 93.

Semper Fi bro :salut::flag_waving::beer:

http://www.14news.com/story/25993779/survivor-of-pearl-harbor-attack-dies-at-93?utm_content=buffer8f84a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

For the record I know the use of Semper Fi by non-Marines is frowned upon and no I wasn't a Marine, the use of the term was meant with the deepest respect and gratitude for this man' service.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

.....and a lute.

Also, what are the odds that our badass will be able to play the damn thing.

Found one. Lockheed is selling it for $150 million. The good news is it's guaranteed to win any conflict no matter the circumstances, and we can get a bunch. Never know when an extra lute will come in handy.

800px-CF-1_flight_test.jpg

Edited by Royal
  • Upvote 1

Retired Marine Maj. “Fox” Sinke says he has received threatening phone calls from Arabic speakers since he stood guard at Canada’s National War Memorial last week.

But as he told police: “If they’re looking for a fight, they came to the right guy.”

Sinke said he received at least two phone calls on Tuesday from people who screamed at him in Arabic and then hung up.

“The only words I recognized were ‘kill you,’ because I’ve heard them before,” he said.

When Sinke told police about the phone calls, he added, “I promise you this: If they come here, they’ll die here.”

Sinke is a decorated veteran who did tours in Vietnam and received five Purple Hearts. When Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a Canadian service member, was shot and killed last month while guarding Canada’s war memorial, Sinke felt obligated to honor the fallen hero.

“The murder of the young Cpl. Cirillo was so despicable and craven that I just couldn’t find it within myself to do nothing,” said Sinke, a dual Canadian-American citizen.

So Sinke, who lives in Canada, donned his Marine uniform and sword and went to the memorial to stand guard on Friday. He told local media that he came to pay tribute to fallen comrade in arms and he wanted to show that Canadians will not be intimidated.

He also had a message for would-be terrorists: “I said, ‘Hey, you’re looking for a target, here’s a new one for you; give it your best shot; we’ll see how it works out for you.’ ”

Sinke arrived at the memorial at 6:30 a.m. and guarded the memorial alone until 9 a.m., when the Canadian honor guard and eight Canadian police officers armed with fully automatic weapons showed up, he said.

After the video story aired, questions were raised about whether Sinke really served in the Marine Corps. Those who run the Guardian of Valor website, which vets claims about people’s military service,posted a news release with Sinke’s service records.

“...We did some digging and reached out to our contacts to find out more about Major Sinke, and we can tell you that not only did this man serve as a Marine, he was a highly decorated Marine!” the release states. “He is taking a stand for what he believes is right, and yes he has five Purple Hearts.”

The Canadian troops were glad to see the Marine at the war memorial and allowed him to guard the northern side of the monument for the day, but the senior police officer was initially perturbed, telling Sinke he should not have been there by himself.

“He says, ‘God man, you got more balls than brains don’t you?’ ” Sinke said. “So I said, ‘Well actually, sir, I was kind of hoping that one of those scum-of-the-earth radicals would show up and take me on because, to tell you the truth, I have always dreamed of being able to confront an evil-doer and run him through with this damn sword.’ So he kind of liked that, you know.”

• Upvote 3

Probably not competitive for Senior or Chief because all he does is deploy and do his job and refuses to organize the Sq Xmas party, beside's that he has my respect and proud of this fellow MSgt.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/554378/tacp-receives-second-silver-star-medal.aspx?source=GovD

• Upvote 1

Do you find it a little ironic that this TACP doesn't have a markmanship ribbon? I guess he lets his radio do the shooting.

141113-F-NI493-044.JPG

• Upvote 1

Do you find it a little ironic that this TACP doesn't have a markmanship ribbon? I guess he lets his radio do the shooting.

Interesting observation, I'm guessing his rack isn't completely up to date since he earned his first Silver Star in Iraq and I only see a Afghan Medal. Also another thing I just noticed is he has 3 Bronze stars with at least one for Valor and a Joint Commendation Medal with a V device as well.

Edited by Fuzz