Badass of the Week

contraildash

Great job, "badass"...we'll be seeing your daughter on stage at the strip club when she decides to get even. Teenage girls do & say stupid things, but parents are the ones that can mess their kids up forever with irresponsible crap like this. Clown.

He should pay her for her household work and then charge her for room and board. 5 minutes of chores = ~$0.69. If a kid wants to act like an adult, treat them that way.

Col Kittinger did not break the sound barrier. He achieved 614mph which is pretty damn close at those higher altitudes.

EDIT: I hope this guy can pull it off, but Col Kittinger's jump 50 years prior is still more badass IMO.

Footage of his jump, ran across it today.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=481_1329000044

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

455th Air Expeditionary Wing

Story by Tech. Sgt. Vernon Cunningham

BAGRAM AIR FIELD, Afghanistan - Men and women from every service dedicated their day to honoring one of the Air Force's fallen heroes at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan, March 4, 2012. The 455th Air Expeditionary Wing hosted a ruck march, remembrance ceremony and celebratory barbecue to honor the 10th anniversary of Pararescueman Senior Airman Jason Cunningham's sacrifice for his country.

Cunningham was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross Sept. 13, 2002, for his extraordinary heroism while engaged in combat against an enemy. He provided medical aid to wounded service members while under fire and relocated them to three different casualty collection points, after each one was overrun. His actions saved 10 lives and allowed the bodies of seven fallen warriors to return home with honor. Bagram dedicated a compound in Cunningham's memory.

The day started with the remembrance ruck march. A spokesperson said more than 270 supporters showed up in the early hours of a misty day to take part in the march. Airmen, soldiers, sailors, Marines, Coasties and civilians strapped on 35 pounds of gear and marched 7.6 miles through puddles and rocks to show their appreciation for Cunningham's dedication to duty.

Bagram service members then assembled for the Senior Airman Jason Cunningham Remembrance Ceremony. The ceremony featured a retelling of the events at Roberts Ridge, the mission in which Cunningham gave his life, and the reading of his Air Force Cross citation.

Lt. Col. Spencer Cocanour, 21st Expeditionary Special Tactics Squadron commander, was the narrator on the day Camp Cunningham was originally dedicated to Cunningham. Fittingly, he was present to speak at the remembrance ceremony eight years later.

"The motto of Special Tactics is 'first there...that others may live'," said Cocanour. "Jason followed a quick reaction force and gave everything he had, including his life, so others may live.

"Jason Cunningham was ready to go that day," he said. "When they called his name, his heart beat faster, his adrenalin was pumping...he was in the zone. He went in knowing it was dangerous. He knew the enemy was there, on the attack, and knew there was U.S. wounded and dead on the battlefield. He knew all of this, yet he never faltered...never hesitated. He was all in."

Cocanour went on to explain that the reason we name camps, streets and buildings after our true professionals and fallen heroes is to honor their memory. He said it serves to remind us of those who gave everything right to their last breath.

To emphasize the example set by Cunningham, Cocanour cited a famous quote to the audience.

"George Orwell said it well," he said. "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand in violence on their behalf. Jason Cunningham was one of those men. We should all strive to be the same."

Brig. Gen. Thomas Deale, 455th AEW commander, also spoke in honor of Cunningham's remembrance ceremony.

"Jason's was a life of significance," said Deale. "He made an impact. He truly embodied our Air Force corps values. Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do. When you listen to that remarkable story on that day, on that ridgeline, you see that we lost great airmen. Airmen who weren't afraid to stand up and answer the call when it came. I am proud of them."

Deale commented that Cunningham, being one of the most junior ranks, set an example of getting the mission done that Deale, as a brigadier general, follows.

He then issued a challenge to the audience.

"I ask you to reflect on your service, look at those corps values and bring it every day," Deale said. "It's what we need. It's the only way we are going to get the mission done here. Senior Airman Cunningham knew that. And when you see it out there, and you recognize it, it should make you proud."

Deale and Cocanour then placed a wreath in front of Cunningham's shadow box and rendered a ceremonial salute. A flight of airmen also marched to the shadow box and saluted to honor Cunningham's memory.

This story could fit in many threads, I hope that this thread does some small justice to this Hero.

:beer:

After the things I've read about SrA Cunningham's actions that day, I'm left with the feeling that he should've been the first OEF MOH recipient.

:beer:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

415548_10150808397414369_42358244368_11743722_2123623478_o.jpg

CAPTION: USAF Lt. Col. James Routt, an HC-130P Combat King aircraft pilot with the 550th SOS, waits to taxi after transporting two injured Afghan patients to Kandahar Airfield, Kandahar, Afghanistan, April 9, 2012, for treatment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Greg Biondo)

Got this from a friend's post about the pic:

"A true living legend! A 1970 Oregon State Beaver Alumnus, Lt Col Jim Routt is the oldest flying pilot in the USAF. He started his carrer in the B-52 and was involved in planning the famous Linebacker II operation in Vietnam. Now, over 40 years later, he is flying Combat Kings in Afghanistan."

Much respect :beer:

---

PK...

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks entry into Badass of the Week is Joe Foss. USMC aviator from WW2, MOH recipient, namesake of the Sioux Falls, SD airport (Home of the Lobos), commissioner of the AFL, and about 100 other crazy accolades. A true BAMF!

Oh, and one time he was also detained by the TSA for trying to bring his Medal of Honor on an airplane with him – they thought about taking it away until he convinced them that thing wasn't a weapon, HE was the weapon.

http://badassoftheweek.com/joefoss.html

This weeks entry into Badass of the Week is Joe Foss. USMC aviator from WW2, MOH recipient, namesake of the Sioux Falls, SD airport (Home of the Lobos), commissioner of the AFL, and about 100 other crazy accolades. A true BAMF!

http://badassofthewe...om/joefoss.html

A true BAMF indeed!!!

Good sh!t :salut:

TSA on the other hand... :bash:

---

PK...

+1 on LtCol Jim Routt as the BAMF du jour. AFCENT has a television interview that's not edited, but available via their PA website... terrible reporting skills by the interviewer, but completely worth the watch/listen if you've got a few minutes to spare in-between CBTs, DTS, and EMS.

Couldn't agree with PK more if I tried :beer:

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon: Airman to run half-marathon in full uniform, 168-pound pack

"On Sunday during the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon, Brustad will run the half-marathon in his Air Force uniform, including boots, carrying a 168-pound pack on his back in memory of the 168 lives lost in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building."

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-memorial-marathon-airman-to-run-half-marathon-in-full-uniform-168-pound-pack/article/3669304

Watched this Staff Sargent hike the last mile to the finish line this morning to a standing ovation by the crowd. Pretty awesome event to witness, read the rest of the article to see the other world records he has set in memory of those who died.

*Side note: he only weighs a 140lbs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Korean War vet shoots intruder inside home

Published May 09, 2012

Associated Press

ELIZABETH, Pa. – Police say an 84-year-old western Pennsylvania man wounded a home invasion suspect with the gun he carried in the Korean War.

Elizabeth Township police say 25-year-old Raymond Hiles was captured not long after trying to break into Fred Ricciutti's home early Tuesday morning.

Ricciutti tells WPXI-TV (http://bit.ly/JdVDJ1 ) he heard Hiles break a window and then confronted him, firing a single shot that grazed Hiles' neck.

Investigators say Hiles was arrested a few blocks away, carrying a screwdriver and a stun gun. He's being held on $100,000 bail on charges including criminal trespass and burglary.

Online court records don't list an attorney for Hiles.

Authorities say they don't expect to bring any charges against Ricciutti.

___

Information from: WPXI-TV, http://www.wpxi.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1uNgE53ar

Get-Off-My-Lawn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this on the Chive today and wanted to get the story out there. Taylor Morris is an EOD tech who is one of only a few quadruple amputee survivors after stepping on an undetected mine. Chive set up a donation fund to help him with the down payment for a cabin when he gets out of the hospital. Original goal was $30K and has now passed $100K. Talk of paying for the whole damn cabin is the latest. Story and link for donation here:

http://thechive.com/2012/05/31/chivers-this-is-the-story-of-taylor-morris-22-photos/

:beer::salut:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Short version: Dad finds some guy trying to molest his 4 year old daughter and beats him to death. Grand jury is investigating charges. Something tells me (and the article basically confirms) a jury of his peers would not take long to deliberate this one.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/12/texas-district-attorney-to-present-beating-death-case-to-grand-jury-after-probe/?test=latestnews

Short version: Dad finds some guy trying to molest his 4 year old daughter and beats him to death. Grand jury is investigating charges. Something tells me (and the article basically confirms) a jury of his peers would not take long to deliberate this one.

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

If the Governor of Texas has a pair, he'll give this guy a medal.

• Upvote 2

Saw this on the Chive today and wanted to get the story out there. Taylor Morris is an EOD tech who is one of only a few quadruple amputee survivors after stepping on an undetected mine. Chive set up a donation fund to help him with the down payment for a cabin when he gets out of the hospital. Original goal was $30K and has now passed $100K. Talk of paying for the whole damn cabin is the latest. Story and link for donation here:

http://thechive.com/...rris-22-photos/

:beer::salut:

I think I have something in my eye...