Spelling pet peeves

Steve Davies

I hate the word "tarmac" quite a skoshi da*n bit....tarmac this tarmac that....especially when I hear a sentence like "I think we just parked on some soft tarmac"

"That crazy O-6 in personnel haS ORDERED his staff to start wearing cris-crossed reflector belts. They ran out to watch us sinking into the tarmac. Looked like the Mexican Army in "Viva Zapata" only glowing. One got squished by a tug"

Well, since we're de-railing the thread into grammar pet peeves...

I hate it when I get a leadership email that's a page long, and at the bottom, there's a "BLUF" line..."Bottom Line Up Front". No, it isn't...you put it at the bottom, jackass. If it were truly "BLUF", you'd have opened the email with it, not closed with it.

Does anyone else get taskers with a suspense of "soonest"? Just curious...that one also gets on my nerves.

Worst of all...ordinance.

I learned this one the hard way (noobs/shoeclerks/those stuck being an Exec take note)

I was a Wing Exec and spent the better part of a day (about 8 hours) redoing about 25 decorations. Nearly all of them misspelled the word "ordinance"...

...until I stopped to look it up and discovered what "ordnance" was.

Ordnance=weapons

Ordinance=law or regulation

Soooooo I had to go back and fix all of those and recall a couple dozen e-mails looking like a d-bag...

Pet peeve of mine:

insure vs. ensure

When getting a briefing downrange, or at the 'Deid and briefers pronounce the word "potable" as "pot-a-ble" (apparently because you can put the water in a pot).

Straight from the dictionary -- Pronunciation: \ˈpō-tə-bəl\

or for those that don't understand that notation, it is pronounced, "pote-a-ble"

Edited by FireMission

When getting a briefing downrange, or at the 'Deid and briefers pronounce the word "potable" as "pot-a-ble" (apparently because you can put the water in a pot).

Straight from the dictionary -- Pronunciation: \ˈpō-tə-bəl\

or for those that don't understand that notation, it is pronounced, "pote-a-ble"

I learned something today.... I've always said POT-a-ble....

mmmm....Lauren Holly.

You got that right..I figured Butters was just being funny, but it was a good excuse to post her picture..

Lloyd: Hit me! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: [Gulps] You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like... one out of a million.

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

lauren-holly-picture-1.jpg