Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

1 hour ago, JustHangingOut said:

My recruiter is able to view the "progress" through some recruiter online portal they have.  I don't think I will be getting school dates as fast as you did because I'll need an age waiver and aeronautical review board before they can assign me school dates. Based on posts of other folk's timelines, I am anticipating that process taking another 6-9 months once I swear in. 

The agewaiver gets processed AFTER you swear in?

Backing up with @JustHangingOut said. My unit is currently working on my waiver and OTS packet, but I’m still wrapping up with the recruiter and haven’t sworn in yet. Hell, haven’t even heard it mentioned or gotten a timeframe. 

Someone else I spoke with that was hired ANG was still waiting on their packet at NGB (can’t remember if they needed a waiver or not), but they were definitely still in the process/without dates and sworn in/attending drill weekends. 

YMMV by the unit, but that’s the gist I’ve gotten. 

Actually, I’m curious if what would happen if something happened with the process and the waiver or packet was kicked back and UPT became off the table? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

Actually, I’m curious if what would happen if something happened with the process and the waiver or packet was kicked back and UPT became off the table? 

My wing recruiter said he works individuals into commissioned slots for any other open jobs  (Intel, MX, etc...); granted they were interested in taking one of these openings. 

• 2 weeks later...

First time poster but I've been lurking for a while.

Just got picked up as an off the street UPT hire for a Reserve squadron. Here's my timeline thus far:

AFOQT/TBAS: January 2018

MEPS: March 2018

2nd time to MEPS: April 2018 (MEPS wanted me to come back because they said I needed a consultation, so I woke up early again, showed up, and they told me my consultation was cancelled and I needed a waiver for a surgery I had when I was 6 months old....)

Submitted Waiver: April 2018 (heard back in May 2018 that the SG wouldn't grant the waiver unless I completed my IFC1 at Wright-Patt)

Sent my stuff to Wright-Patt: May 2018

IFC1 scheduled: June 2018

IFC1/MFS: August 6-9 2018 (still waiting on final approval, but no one told me I had anything wrong and I only did each test once and passed each one, so I'm betting that I'm good to go. any words of assurance are appreciated haha...I know it's not official until it's official.)

Hired by squadron: September 9, 2018

I'm hoping to make the November AFRC board then get OTS and UPT dates soon after that. It's been a long process but I'm pumped to get in the air!

Edited by TX dude

On 7/13/2018 at 11:54 PM, MountainHerc said:

Yeah. Currently a nav. I heard through the rumor mill that NGB was getting a lot of flak from units who were waiting over a year with guys chambered to go but we’re waiting on waivers. 

I guarantee they don’t care. NGB A1 and A3 wouldn’t know there was a shortage based on the speed the process paperwork. Some of these folks are very good at their jobs. Some are overworked and undermanned. But some don’t give a FU(K how long your age waiver takes. 

Edited by Minus5
  • Like 1

Update

Interview: 02 Dec 2017

Hired: 03 Dec 2017

DD Form 368 signed by State J1 in April and submitted to NGB: 06 May 2018

Transfer Packet kicked back from NGB for wording and resubmitted: 24 July 2018

Flight Physical Completed 06-07 Aug 2018

Flight Physical Results returned week of Sept 10-14

still waiting for NGB to process transfer at 135 days in process....now they changed their mind and want to ETP to process before letting me swear in

On 8/27/2018 at 1:04 PM, JustHangingOut said:

My recruiter is able to view the "progress" through some recruiter online portal they have.  I don't think I will be getting school dates as fast as you did because I'll need an age waiver and aeronautical review board before they can assign me school dates. Based on posts of other folk's timelines, I am anticipating that process taking another 6-9 months once I swear in. 

Can anyone provide some insight on this recruiter portal? My package was sent to HQ a month ago, and my recruiter seems unaware of any sort of tracking through HQ and NGB.

3 minutes ago, CubeWarrior said:

Can anyone provide some insight on this recruiter portal? My package was sent to HQ a month ago, and my recruiter seems unaware of any sort of tracking through HQ and NGB.

here is all i know.  My recruiter uploads documents through a "portal" that is specific to the recruiting office.  so the commander does not have visibility on this.  This is where he uploads documents and if the records are pulled they can show the status as being reviewed or something.  When they kicked mine back, they also left a note in the system for the reason so corrections could be made.  I'm sorry if this is vague.  I'll ask him what the system is next time i speak with him.

edit:  HQ is different because that is internal within their state.  Those documents are probably floating around different peoples email inboxes at state headquarters before they go up to NGB

Edited by JustHangingOut

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently on active duty and am looking to apply to Guard/Reserve units. I would have to Palace Chase but I only have one year left on station, is a year enough time to go from submitting a package to getting selected and starting the Palace Chase process (which I hear is also a dragged out process)?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do about your civilian job when you're scheduled to start the UFT pipeline? I'm going reserves and supposed to leave for OTS in January followed by UPT. I have a solid job right now and not sure if I should quit or keep my job (using of SCRA) even though I'll be gone for about 2 years. Just thinking it'd be smart to keep it in case something happens (i.e. break my ankle at OTS).

Keep it. Unless you want to come home and find a new job for when you are off orders. 

Even if you want to take an ART or AGR job later there is no harm to you for keeping the job through training.

I got picked up reserve recently and plan to keep my job. Even if you don't want to work there after you get back, it keeps options open. Options are always (usually) a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Soccer2 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do about your civilian job when you're scheduled to start the UFT pipeline? I'm going reserves and supposed to leave for OTS in January followed by UPT. I have a solid job right now and not sure if I should quit or keep my job (using of SCRA) even though I'll be gone for about 2 years. Just thinking it'd be smart to keep it in case something happens (i.e. break my ankle at OTS).

To me it would make sense to keep it. They are legally obligated to have a job for you when you return (I think so at least). It doesnt have to be the same job, but a job of equal position/responsibility I believe. 

Another Update

• 02 Dec 2017:   Interview
  • 03 Dec 2017:  Hired
  • 06 May 2018:  DD Form 368 signed by State J1 in April and submitted to NGB
  • 24 July 2018:  Transfer Packet kicked back from NGB for wording and resubmitted
  • 06-07 Aug 2018:  Flight Physical Completed
  • 10-14 Sep 2018:  Flight Physical Results returned week of
    • I was also informed that NGB changed their accessions process to require ETPs to be completed and approved before swearing in.....fortunately I already had my flight physical done so I could push that up as soon as the policy dropped.
    • Transfer packet at NGB paused
    • New policy came with change in ETP checklist and shortened timeline (approx 30 days)
  • 21 Sep 2018:  ETP pushed up
  • 25 Oct 2018:  Age Waiver Approved at NGB (34 day turn around)
Edited by JustHangingOut
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is where I sit as a prospective reservist:

AFOQT November 2013 (attempted to go active duty)
Interview: February 10, 2018 hired within 1 week
MEPS: June 6, 2018
FC1: September 3-8, 2018
Board: November 14, 2018
OTS/UPT Dates ???

An age waiver got approved sometime in there... Will update once I know more.

Edited by Piper Nick
  • Like 1

My timeline for AFRC so far. Theme to this one is bumpy road with lots of hoops.

MEPS: 01 Mar 2018
Package submitted: 08 Mar 2018
FOIA request for certain military records (at squadron's request): 16 Mar 2018
MEPS redux (to correct missing documentation): 03 Apr 2018
FOIA received: 06 Apr 2018
Interview: 27 Apr 2018
Hired: 1 May 2018
DD368 (Navy IRR > USAFR) rejected: 21 May 2018
DD368 reconsidered and approved: 02 July 2018
ETP (TFCS) approved: Sep 2018
Board: Nov 2018 missed due to another required waiver (signed Nov 2018)
Board: package resubmitted for Jan 2018 board
IFC 1A 16 Jan 2019
Squadron notified of selection 16 Jan 2019
DD368 extension to 31 July from 28 Feb granted: 05 Feb 2019
IFC IA submitted to AETC: 29 Apr 2019 (had to get some bloodwork redone and there was consternation as to whether or not I'd require a waiver for things)
UCT: ??

Edited by dotonfire
Updated timeline

• 2 weeks later...

Squadron Interview : 26 May 17

Selection Confirmation: 31 May 17

MEPS: 26 July 17 

Enlistment: 28 July 17 

FC1: 4 December 17 

State Packet Approval: 22 January 18

Complete Packet to NGB: 30 January 18

Received TFOT Dates: 11 April 18

TFOT Class 18-07 Start: 19 June 18

TFOT Graduation: 17 Aug 18 

UPT Start: 8 April 19

Active Duty

• Aug 2016 selected 
  • Oct 2016 FC1
  • Feb 2017 FC1 stamped approved
  • Mar 2017 security clearance interview
  • Mar 2017 received OTS class date of Jun 2017

ANG

• May 2017 interviewed
  • Jun 2017 selected
  • Jun 2017 DEP discharge from AD
  • Oct 2017 swear in
  • Feb 2018 MFS
  • Apr 2018 packet sent to NGB
  • Apr 2018 packet returned to unit for corrections
  • May 2018 packet resent to NGB
  • July 2018 NGB approved (70 total days from resubmit)
  • 1 Aug 2018 dates received:
  • 12 Sep 2018 OTS
  • 28 Feb 2019 ENJJPT

Edited by Sit On Acorns
formatting

On 10/25/2018 at 1:22 PM, Soccer2 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do about your civilian job when you're scheduled to start the UFT pipeline? 

100% keep it. You lose nothing by keeping it...I can't think of any downsides at all since USERRA protects you.

I kept mine and I'm back from OTS with a job and income while off orders until UPT starts in February. Holidays would be interesting had I not done that.

• 15 May 2018: Interviewed  KC-135 ANG
  • 23 June 2018: Hired
  • 13-14 Aug 2018: Flight Physical Complete at W. Patt
  • 15 October 2018: FC1 Stamped and Approved no waivers
  • 19 November 2018: DD Form 368 signed by SCNG submitted to NGB and ANG

The Recruiter I was working with put in his retirement papers and is out on terminal leave. What is to be expected at this point? Should I plan on attending UTAs from this point on as the accessions and ETPs process moves forward? Do I still belong to my old unit until all ETPs are approved and swearing in with the ANG is complete?

Cheers...

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:
  • 15 May 2018: Interviewed  KC-135 ANG
  • 23 June 2018: Hired
  • 13-14 Aug 2018: Flight Physical Complete at W. Patt
  • 15 October 2018: FC1 Stamped and Approved no waivers
  • 19 November 2018: DD Form 368 signed by SCNG submitted to NGB and ANG

The Recruiter I was working with put in his retirement papers and is out on terminal leave. What is to be expected at this point? Should I plan on attending UTAs from this point on as the accessions and ETPs process moves forward? Do I still belong to my old unit until all ETPs are approved and swearing in with the ANG is complete?

Cheers...

Refer to my timeline post.  You will need to complete ETPs prior to swearing in.  You are not released from you current army unit until you swear in with the new squadron, then outprocess your old unit.  I had my 368 signed back in May and still haven’t sworn in because of the backlog at NGB.  Also, you need to have the squadron security manager initiate a TS clearance for you.  This is the last thing I’m waiting on and I should be swearing in within the next week hopefully.  For reference I attached an ETP checklist to a post a little while ago.  Start knocking out those requirements and get them to your recruiter.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to anyone selected on the Nov 6-7 reserve board! I found out on Nov 28. Anyone know how long it usually takes between reserve board selection to finding out dates for OTS? My unit says I have to discuss these details with the recruiter who will arrange with the 340th FTS. He was a bit slow on the process up to now and I want to make sure he isn't neglecting something that needs to be done. Thanks