Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

6 hours ago, JabroniWizard said:

For those of you hired off the street, what have you typically do/done on drill weekends? Looking for some perspective before my first one this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Not-a-damn-thing. Meet people, hang out, that's about it... Most/some units put you into student flight, but you might be able to "opt-out".

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, JabroniWizard said:

For those of you hired off the street, what have you typically do/done on drill weekends? Looking for some perspective before my first one this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Pretty much nothing. Get to know everyone in the squadron, sit in on any briefs/meetings I can. Get some stuff out of the way like computer access, getting uniforms and flight suits ordered. But otherwise typically just about nothing.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

Not-a-damn-thing. Meet people, hang out, that's about it... Most/some units put you into student flight, but you might be able to "opt-out".

I was in student flight (still am? They're dissolving ours I think) but the pilot hires just sign in at student flight for roll call then dip out to the squadron instead of staying there all day. 

On 3/5/2021 at 5:30 PM, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

Has your base training office (FDO) requested an appointment for your FC1? The way I understand the process is that Wright Patt "gives" so many slots to NGB (assuming you're guard), and NGB magically gives you a slot. But your FDO has to add you to the queue. If they have, then I would ask them what the situation there is. If they haven't, then you should ask/have your recruiter ask/have your DO ask/have your Sq/CC ask them to do it ASAP.

Unsure, but I know my DO sent an email requesting dates. He didnt know why it hadnt been scheduled yet either. Been about a month since then, would love to know more but I also dont want to be the annoying FNG.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, 1nfrequentF1yer said:

My unit put me in student flight and went up for 2 drill weekends to take care of admin stuff like @ryleypav mentioned, but after that they let me opt out since I currently live out of state.

29 minutes ago, TotableMink said:

Unsure, but I know my DO sent an email requesting dates. He didnt know why it hadnt been scheduled yet either. Been about a month since then, would love to know more but I also dont want to be the annoying FNG.

Who did your DO send an email to? When you say DO I assume you mean your squadron director of operations. I would still give your FDO (force development office) a call. It's a fine balance between being annoying and getting stuff done but a lot of times that's what it takes because you have to be one keeping those that are pushing you through honest. So if it's been a month, I think it's fair to ask at least somebody, but don't be a douche about it. Be like "hey I know you guys are super busy, but I'm trying to get some information about my FCI being scheduled, if I need to do anything, etc". If they tell you you're being annoying then ask them (politely) to hook you up with some answers so they won't have to be bothered by you anymore 🙂 

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

March 2021 Update: inching closer. again....again

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

MEPS: Passed April 2020 amid the 'rona outbreak. 

Enlistment: June 2020.

FC1: September 29, 2020

FC1 Stamped Approved: November 2020

NGB approval: March 2021

OTS: ??? 

UPT: ???

FTU: ???

Hired: Jun 2019
FC1: Jan 2020 (rescheduled)
FC1: Jun 2020
FC1 Approved: Jul 2020
NGB Sent: Aug 2020
NGB Approved: Feb 2021

Can anyone give any info/experience on how long it takes to get TFOT and UPT dates once your packet is approved by NGB?

8 hours ago, tlaw99 said:

Can anyone give any info/experience on how long it takes to get TFOT and UPT dates once your packet is approved by NGB?

This is the golden question lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@ryleypav

I've seen 3 months and I've seen up to 9 months for TFOT.  Keep checking in every few weeks and make sure they're actually working on it. The most annoying feeling in the world is when you call to check in a month later to find out they had everything they needed to request TFOT dates but the A1C working your paperwork forgot about you (ask me how I know)

I would also press them to request UPT dates prior to getting to TFOT. It's possible - because I've seen ANG pilot candidates get both TFOT and UPT dates at the same time.

As always YMMV but feel free to DM and I can share more.

Edited by mightymighty
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tlaw99 said:

I got approved by NGB same time you did, and got told like a week later I'm going to the August OTS class. Nothing on UPT yet since that's gonna be an FY22 thing for me so I don't know if that's been laid out yet. 

I had the ol shoulder tuned up in ‘16 but so they had me do a X-ray consult for MEPS. Now just waiting for them to approve it. Should be easy (famous last words) approval as I crushed the consult and have no residual problems from the surgery. Anyone have experience with waiting on SG to approve waiver from MEPS?

4 hours ago, glockenspiel said:

I had the ol shoulder tuned up in ‘16 but so they had me do a X-ray consult for MEPS. Now just waiting for them to approve it. Should be easy (famous last words) approval as I crushed the consult and have no residual problems from the surgery. Anyone have experience with waiting on SG to approve waiver from MEPS?

From MEPS to AF Surgeon General to approval was, if I remember right, 2 to 4 weeks.

56 minutes ago, yervis said:

From MEPS to AF Surgeon General to approval was, if I remember right, 2 to 4 weeks.

Must be nice lol. Mine took from the time my recruiter said my MEPS packet was at the surgeon general to the time he said it was approved was just over 2 months. YMMV

3 hours ago, yervis said:

1 hour ago, Terminator5 said:

Must be nice lol. Mine took from the time my recruiter said my MEPS packet was at the surgeon general to the time he said it was approved was just over 2 months. YMMV

Thanks for the replies dudes! Hope mine is like yervis. 

Classic "it depends" answer.

All up to how many slots NGB has and when they have them. I know a guy that got OTS dates about 3 months after his package was approved, then waited another 8 months after graduation to get UPT dates.

Another dude got OTS and UPT dates about 6 months after his package was approved. It's just luck haha.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

A little bit of a unique case, but thought I would post my timeline in case it helps anyone in the future!

Guard Fighter, 2d Lt Commissioned out of AFROTC

Begin College/AFROTC: August 2016

AFOQT: September 2017

TBAS: March 2018

AFROTC Field Training: June/July 2018

Reserve Rated Board(RCP-R)/Selection/Notification: October/November 2018

FC1: May 2019

College Graduation/Commissioning: May 2020

Gained/In-Processing with 340FTG: June 2020 - UPT start date October 2020

Guard Fighter Interview/Selection: June 2020 (week after in-processing)

Released from the Reserve/340FTG: October 2020

NGB Approval/Appointment/Swear into ANG: January 2021

UPT: September 2021, Vance AFB

Edited by WeekendPilot

21 minutes ago, JabroniWizard said:

Has anyone run into trouble trying to get their unit to pay for FC1 travel? The finance dept. at my unit says I have to complete OTS before I get travel benefits.

Reserve side here. I’m trying to figure that out as well. If I find out something I’ll let you know.

32 minutes ago, JabroniWizard said:

Has anyone run into trouble trying to get their unit to pay for FC1 travel? The finance dept. at my unit says I have to complete OTS before I get travel benefits.

This was definitely not my experience. Once I was gained by my unit, I got the process starting to get a CAC, get a government travel credit card (GTCC), and get DTS access. I’m Guard, btw so this may be different for you if you’re in another component. My FC1 travel was completely booked through DTS and paid through my GTCC. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FOX3 said:

This was definitely not my experience. Once I was gained by my unit, I got the process starting to get a CAC, get a government travel credit card (GTCC), and get DTS access. I’m Guard, btw so this may be different for you if you’re in another component. My FC1 travel was completely booked through DTS and paid through my GTCC. 

Heard. I'm guard as well so this definitely applies. Just got the GTCC application done as of now. Admin is optimistic this issue will be cleared up. I'm the first off the street new hire they've had in a while so they're understandably scrambling. Bottom line though I'll go out of pocket if it means saving just a month of time by not re-scheduling the FC1.

28 minutes ago, JabroniWizard said:

Heard. I'm guard as well so this definitely applies. Just got the GTCC application done as of now. Admin is optimistic this issue will be cleared up. I'm the first off the street new hire they've had in a while so they're understandably scrambling. Bottom line though I'll go out of pocket if it means saving just a month of time by not re-scheduling the FC1.

I feel you there -- I would've done that 100% too!  Good luck with getting everything set up, and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JabroniWizard said:

If you're enlisted into the unit that hired you, then they should allow you to request an authorization in DTS for the TDY and book your travel through DTS (you'll need a line of accounting from your finance folks to fund that trip). Been said but my experience and experience I know of with other guard guys is that the unit will pay for it. So I'm not sure what's different about you going TDY to WP vs someone else going TDY to some other place.

On the reserve side, the dudes I met at FC1 said they have to pay for it out of pocket and their recruiter will get them reimbursed.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, JabroniWizard said:

Reserves here, I wasn't enlisted when I got my FC1. My squadron had me submit my receipts (flight, car, gas, hotel) and fill out a reimbursement form/direct deposit. Got it all back within a couple months.