Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

1 hour ago, ayz33 said:

So you were picked up and your unit isn't helping you but referred you to a recruiter? I thought you usually swear in before going to Wright-Patt and certainly before OTS. I'm pretty sure you don't set up the WP visit on your own and they should be getting your OTS dates for you

When I accepted the job offer they had me start working with a recruiter. I'm about 90% sure he is scheduling me for Wright Patt. Really the only info i've gotten from him is "MEPS, then WP, then board". I emailed him for clarity before posting here, but I was hoping other Civilian to Reserve guys had some answers. 

10 hours ago, OptFire said:

Can someone fill me in on what exactly I have to get done between getting hired and getting to OTS? I was picked up a Heavy Reserve squadron and i'm working with a recruiter, but he is barely giving me any information.

Hired: October 2019

MEPS: December/January 2019

I need a physical at Wright-Patterson? and I need to be accepted by the Air Force Reserves board? Then I can swear in and be gained by the 340th? I haven't had anyone confirm these for me, just things I've picked up from reading this forum. 

That's accurate. ANG guys swear in much earlier in the process than the reserve side. We do it right before we get gained by the 340th.

We are submitting forms to the Guard Bureau this week for training dates.  Anyone have a recent timeline for Guard Bureau to TFOT and TFOT to UPT?  Any suggestions for speeding up the process given where I am?

Guard/Fighter - Non-Prior

Hired: March '19

MEPS/Enlistment: June '19

FC1: October '19 (Failed)

FC1 Re-Test: December '19 (Passed)

FC1 Stamped Approved: December '19

FC1 Received by Unit: January '19

TFOT: 

UPT: 

SERE: 

On 8/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, Tarawa565 said:

Civilian to Guard fighter squadron:

Board: Dec 2 2018

Selection notification: Same Day

MEPS: January 2019

Sworn In: February 2019

FC1: May 2019

NGB Packet Approved: End of June 2019

TFOT: notified in August for 15 October class date, finished TFOT December of 2019, no UPT dates during TFOT

UPT: notified in Jan 2019 for April UPT at Columbus

See above for recent TFOT / UPT timeline.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, OptFire said:

When I accepted the job offer they had me start working with a recruiter. I'm about 90% sure he is scheduling me for Wright Patt. Really the only info i've gotten from him is "MEPS, then WP, then board". I emailed him for clarity before posting here, but I was hoping other Civilian to Reserve guys had some answers. 

That’s the short, short version of exactly what’ll happen. The unit can help if you hit stumbling blocks with the recruiter, but your unit will have little to do with you again until you finish at your FTU in about 1.5-2 years and start your Prog/seasoning tour. MEPS, FC1, swearing in, and Reserve Board are going to be recruiter handled; OTS, IFT (if you need it), SERE, UPT, and FTU are all handled by the 340th. 

The recruiter will get you to MEPS, get all your initial paperwork done (be ready to send and resend things a thousand times), get you scheduled for FC1 (can take awhile, so push hard to get there), get your application to the Reserve UPT board (similar to applying to a unit), and then swear you in. All of that has to be done before the recruiter will get you gained by the 340th. 

The 340th will pick up the ball from there. 

Any idea on the timeline for a non-rated Officer doing a branch transfer, from getting hired to UPT? Can the FC1 be scheduled and completed relatively quickly? 

You’ll skip the ARB process, that might as well be blessing. If you have your PPL already, you’ll be able to skip IFT and jump straight into UPT.

Im hearing 3-4 months for FC1s. The wait is longer during the summer months due to the rotc cadet rush. You could go to WP and your own dime and time to speed up the process. I did it that way it it didn’t really help me much. Best to coordinate that with the hiring unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

3 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

You’ll skip the ARB process, that might as well be blessing. If you have your PPL already, you’ll be able to skip IFT and jump straight into UPT.

Im hearing 3-4 months for FC1s. The wait is longer during the summer months due to the rotc cadet rush. You could go to WP and your own dime and time to speed up the process. I did it that way it it didn’t really help me much. Best to coordinate that with the hiring unit.

Thanks for the info. I'd be all over going to WPAFB on my own dime if it expedites the process. 

On 1/20/2020 at 1:39 PM, FDNYOldGuy said:

If you're Reserves, I'd doubt that you'll have that much of a break. They like to keep you on solid orders from start to finish with no more than 30 days break in training (causes them more paperwork?). Got a buddy in OTS right now, leaves for IFT 2 days after OTS graduation, then right to SERE, then immediate PCS to UPT. Don't think he's got more than 4 days break between any of the different training pieces. I had some longer stretches between OTS-SERE-UPT, but still nothing more than 30 days. 

You're also not "owned" by your unit until you're spit out at the other end of the pipeline post-FTU, so you won't be going to drill with them. You might, if anything, go to your UPT base and get a casual job. 

Guard will give you longer breaks between training pieces, but I haven't heard of anyone in the Reserves having 3+ months. Then again, maybe the shortage of slots has changed things up? 

Will confirm the shortage of slots has complicated things.

Some people I know have decently long gaps between training (~2 months) in the Reserves. They were told they will still be on orders (collect full pay, insurance, and entitlements), but they will either stay and work with the 340th or go back to their sponsoring until it's time for their next training course. 

You are 100% correct that you are not "owned" by your sponsoring until training is complete, even if you are working in the Squadron sweeping floors and manning the phone.

Edited by Fly For a 62E
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 9:11 AM, iRobot said:

Figured I'd post my timeline for the Civilian to AFRC studs:

AFOQT/TBAS: July/Aug. 2018

Sponsored: Sept. 2018

MEPS: Jan. 2019

MFS/FC1: April 2019

AFRC Sponsored Board (submitted): May 2019

AFRC Board Results (hired/acquired): June 2019

OTS: Jan. 2020  **Could've been Oct. 2019, but pushed I it out. 

UPT: TBA

Understand my timeline is kind of unique, I had a recruiter (squared away professional) who help me from out of state, so I could've been done A LOT sooner. 

**Update** 

AFOQT/TBAS: July/Aug. 2018

Sponsored: Sept. 2018

MEPS: Jan. 2019

MFS/FC1: April 2019

AFRC Sponsored Board (submitted): May 2019

AFRC Board Results (hired/acquired): June 2019

OTS: Jan. 2020  

UPT: April 2020 - May 2021

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, Insert name said:

Hey all,

I was selected for UPT by a Guard unit and was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on where my timeline will go from here, how long to expect in between. Some background, I'm currently in the Naval Reserve with my DD-368 being processed. Fwiw I took the AFOQT back in 2014 as well, retook it summer 2018.

Sept 6 '18-  AFOQT

Nov 2 '18 - Interview

Nov 6 '18 - Hired

Dec 11 '18 - DD368 Submitted to Program Office

Jan '19 - DD368 marked for approval by program office - off to NAVPERS for approval.

Feb 2019 - FC1

Some issues with FC1 sitting on desks and paperwork to be gained, but eventually:

Jan 2020: Gained to unit.

The way I hear it is all IFT/UPT dates are fall-out as this point, does anyone have any recent news on this front? Would prefer not to have to wait 8 months, but also would like more than 3 days...or a weeks notice.

IFT: ???

UPT: ???

Possibly SERE/aquatic survival before?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Insert name

2 minutes ago, Insert name said:

That's frustrating. Will be 2 years from being hired by then, and your buddies were already in the pipeline too..

It was insane to hear some of the stories how long it took some people just to get to OTS. 

That's frustrating. Will be 2 years from being hired by then, and your buddies were already in the pipeline too..

The average has been 18 to 24 months from hired to UPT for the longest I can remember. It sucks, but all you can do is be a good bro, learn about your unit and the mission and try to get an idea of what life will be like for seasoning.

• Like 1

The average has been 18 to 24 months from hired to UPT for the longest I can remember. It sucks, but all you can do is be a good bro, learn about your unit and the mission and try to get an idea of what life will be like for seasoning.

18 - 24 months sounds about right. Mine is 14 months from hire to UPT (AFRC) but I’m an inter-service transfer guy with a PPL so I got to skip OTS and IFT. There’s been times when I had to nudge my recruiter and my chain of command to get stuff done so don’t be hesitant to make the phone call. Ultimately, it’s your career, and no one else cares as much as you do.

2 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I agree. 18 - 24 months sounds about right. Mine is 14 months from hire to UPT (AFRC) but I’m an inter-service transfer guy with a PPL so I got to skip OTS and IFT. There’s been times when I had to nudge my recruiter and my chain of command to get stuff done so don’t be hesitant to make the phone call. Ultimately, it’s your career, and no one else cares as much as you do.

Edited by Jetpower

On 2/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, mightymighty said:

Updated for Guard Bureau update. 

Guard/Fighter - Non-Prior

Hired: March '19

MEPS/Enlistment: June '19

FC1: October '19 (Failed)

FC1 Re-Test: December '19 (Passed)

FC1 Stamped Approved: December '19

FC1 Received by Unit: January '20

Packet sent to Guard Bureau: February '20

TFOT: 

UPT: 

SERE: 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Squawk7600 said:

Hired: Sept 19
Swore in : 8 Nov 19
FC1: Jan 20
FC1: stamped approved 24 Feb 20
Packet sent to NGB: 7 Mar 20
Just need some UPT datesemoji106.png

Congrats on the progress. Judging by your picture, did you get picked up for HH-60's? 

I got notified in January for -60's but it's been silent on the recruiting end after that. I've been told I can expect FC1 in May, but the rest is unclear. your timeline seems pretty fast, any advice for someone waiting on dates? 

Thanks