Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

50 minutes ago, FlyingFisher said:

Can you elaborate on the "slots were cut" part of that?

NGB had allocated thru budgeting/finance about 125-155 UPT slots FY20. The number was cut to 90 by the 19th AF (big blue). The numbers were cut across the board for AD, AFRC and ANG. 

46 minutes ago, FlyingFisher said:

So, sounds like even longer wait times for UPT then? Awesome.

Unfortunately. Stay motivated. I went to WP on my own dime to get an FC1 thinking I would be able to shorten up the timeline. But didn't help much. 

Get Hired. Get gained by the unit. Get UPT dates. Usually about 18 to 24 months in average. 

2 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Unfortunately. Stay motivated. I went to WP on my own dime to get an FC1 thinking I would be able to shorten up the timeline. But didn't help much. 

Get Hired. Get gained by the unit. Get UPT dates. Usually about 18 to 24 months in average. 

I have everything but the UPT date part knocked out so I guess we'll just see how things fall, all worth it in the end!

Thanks for the replies! To answer a few questions:

-I am not a rated military pilot (civilian CFI) and have been AD navy for 6 yrs driving ships and Intel....got med dqd from navy pilot and now am 100% cleared for air force (had to pay back rotc commitment before i could switch)

-I have a unit lined up but am trying my luck with interviewing for pointy nose since i recently just got the height/anthro waiver from big blue for f16/f35 (smaller female)

So, I guess i am trying to see if all the boxes are checked (flight physical, scrolling, etc. And can skip all mentioned above OTS, IFS) what my last day in navy to foot in the door at upt might look like....i plan on getting a seaplane pilot job in the interim...will pay like cheap compared to O3 pay but it will be a fun time filler for me. 

Thanks!

On 11/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

NGB had allocated thru budgeting/finance about 125-155 UPT slots FY20. The number was cut to 90 by the 19th AF (big blue). The numbers were cut across the board for AD, AFRC and ANG. 

Does this effect folks that have already gotten hired but are still waiting for dates? Or does the unit already have the slot secured when they hold their board? 

Does this effect folks that have already gotten hired but are still waiting for dates? Or does the unit already have the slot secured when they hold their board? 

Im sure there have been exceptions in the past; from what I understand, a unit must gain you first. Once your in the books, a school request is submitted to higher. submittal request goes to A3 at NGB. Not sure how it works for reserves.

If your just wanting on dates you must be in the queue somewhere. Unit priority, short falls, and 19 AF availability could be the hold up.

I know it sucks not having dates... but relax, enjoy your time now because once you begin, it will be fire hose type learning equating to a very long year.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Im sure there have been exceptions in the past; from what I understand, a unit must gain you first. Once your in the books, a school request is submitted to higher. submittal request goes to A3 at NGB. Not sure how it works for reserves.

I'm going through this process now in the Reserves. While a unit will hire you, you won't be on their UMD or administratively controlled by them until you get your Wings. The 340th (JBSA) administratively owns all UPT/UCT students until they've completed UPT/UCT. Once you head off to your FTU, you'll be gained by your home unit you were hired into. Once the 340th gains you, it doesn't take that long to get dates (2 days for me) … the weight was getting gained to the 340th.

• Thanks 1

I have 6 months AD time left...Can I start the scrolling process now unsponsored (waiting for choice unit's upt board)?

Also, do I still receive a DD214 when I'm considered an inter service transfer? Everyone I have talked to thus far seems to think I need the dd214 from the navy AD side in order to get the dd368 from navy IRR to cross over to AFR. 

13 hours ago, BlueSkyz said:

I have 6 months AD time left...Can I start the scrolling process now unsponsored (waiting for choice unit's upt board)?

Scrolling on the Reserve side takes a couple months, so definitely start that process with a Reserve recruiter if it’s a Reserve unit. 

It will stay effective as long as you stay in the same rank when you transition. 

19 hours ago, BlueSkyz said:

Also, do I still receive a DD214 when I'm considered an inter service transfer? Everyone I have talked to thus far seems to think I need the dd214 from the navy AD side in order to get the dd368 from navy IRR to cross over to AFR. 

I'm not sure if your recruiter would start the scrolling process as an unsponsored applicant. You should definitely ask your recruiter. 

Yes, you will still receive your DD214 as an inter service transfer guy upon separation from AD. If you already have served your initial 8 year commitment in the Navy, then you may cross over directly to AFR without having to deal with the Navy IRR, all you'll need is the DD368 from the AD Navy. If you still have the 8 year commitment left then you will have to go through the Navy IRR which will require you to get another DD368.  

Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I recently went through the inter service transfer process as an AD Marine (dark side) to AFR myself. I am just waiting to EAS from the Corps and to be gained by the 340th. 

Edited by Jetpower

For the AFR folks, the UPT pipeline is currently backed up and the 340th is still trying get seats for folks who were selected early this year. I'm not sure how long it will take for the UPT pipeline to unclog but I'd highly recommend saving at least 5 months of your pay to sustain yourself and your family if you're coming off of active duty. 

I am slated to EAS in late Jan 2020 and got a tentative UPT date of 23 June. However, nothing is official until I in process with the 340th and receive the orders. :banghead:  

Edited by Jetpower
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, Jetpower said:

For the AFR folks, the UPT pipeline is currently backed up and the 340th is still trying get seats for folks who were selected early this year. I'm not sure how long it will take for the UPT pipeline to unclog but I'd highly recommend saving at least 5 months of your pay to sustain yourself and your family if you're coming off of active duty. 

I am slated to EAS in late Jan 2020 and got a tentative UPT date of 23 June. However, nothing is official until I in process with the 340th and receive the orders. :banghead:  

So how does that work?

Do folks just get released from training/duty (go back to their respective workplace(s)) until it's time to return or will they go to their sponsoring unit, even though they aren't technically gained until after UPT graduation? Also, as a reservist, will there still be a requirement to do my weekend drills during that timeframe, if so, with whom? (340th or Sponsoring Unit)

Started as an enlisted Traditional Reservist. 

Guard CSO Board: May 2018

Notified: May 2018

Gained By Guard: September 2018

Reserve UPT board: September 2018 (good timing right?)

Notified: September 2018

FC1 Scheduled: January 2019

AFRC UFT Board: January 2019

Notified: January 2019

FC1: May 2019 (Need anthropomorphic waiver for exceeding 40' sitting height) 

FC1 Stamped: September 2019

EDSCA: Nov 2019

There was an issue processing my separation because guard, so I wasn't actually separated until a month later

Gained by 340th: Dec 2019

OTS: February 2020

On 12/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, iRobot said:

So how does that work?

Do folks just get released from training/duty (go back to their respective workplace(s)) until it's time to return or will they go to their sponsoring unit, even though they aren't technically gained until after UPT graduation? Also, as a reservist, will there still be a requirement to do my weekend drills during that timeframe, if so, with whom? (340th or Sponsoring Unit)

You won’t drill with the 340th or your gaining unit as a Reservist before UPT; the 340th doesn’t have drills for UPT pipeline and won’t let you drill with your home unit. You’ll just be on DEP, basically. You’ll swear in, but you won’t be doing anything until you leave for your first piece of the pipeline. 

Your sponsoring unit has no control over you until you head to your PIQ/FTU. 340th handles your school/travel, pay, leave, orders, etc., so your home unit is just waiting for you to pop out at the other end with some wings. 

• Like 2

Well said, thanks for the reply. I think the delay will only affect the folks who are coming off active duty. If you are a civilian applicant, I’m sure you can work for your employer until you begin your training pipeline (OTS, IFT, UPT, or FTU).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Ex-AD, ANG Nav (ECs -> ACs -> slicks) looking to X-train to Pilot with same unit.

37 yo O-4, 12 years TFSC, needed ETP approved by NGB/A1 and AF/A1P. Have PPL.

Board: March 2018 <- canxed, pilots overmanned

Board: April 2019

Hired, pending ETP approval: April 2019 

FC1 Scheduled: May 2019

FC1: July 2019 (soonest available after finishing IN school)

ETP submitted: July 2019

FC1 stamped, ETP updated: August 2019

ETP approved: 26 December 2019

UPT: ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ex-AD, ANG Nav (ECs -> ACs -> slicks) looking to X-train to Pilot with same unit.
37 yo O-4, 12 years TFSC, needed ETP approved by NGB/A1 and AF/A1P. Have PPL.
Board: March 2018 Board: April 2019
Hired, pending ETP approval: April 2019 
FC1 Scheduled: May 2019
FC1: July 2019 (soonest available after finishing IN school)
ETP submitted: July 2019
FC1 stamped, ETP updated: August 2019
ETP approved: 26 December 2019
UPT: ??

Your HARM rep at your unit should be able to reach out to the NGB A3 chief undergraduate flying training rep for an outlook for potential dates. Worst case, you’ll have to wait until the next FY dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Non-rated AD Air Force to AFR C-17 unit. 

FC1: November 2017

Reserve Hiring Board: April 2019

Hired:  April 2019

Palace Chase Application Submitted: May 2019

Palace Chase Approval (Jan 2020 separation): July 2019

AFR Pilot Board: September 2020 (met and accepted) 

Separated AD: January 2020

Gained at 340th: February 2020

SERE (maybe): March 2020

UPT: April 2020

• Like 2

Civilian to Reserve. We graduate OTS in April. Buddy just got orders for August UPT. Assuming I'll get the same. What do you do between OTS and UPT? TDY somewhere? Drill? Anything?

Edit: sounds like SERE at least for a month. Still leaves 3 months in limbo. Not that that is an awful thing. Just curious if anyone has a better idea of what happens between OTS and UPT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Baseops Network mobile app

17 hours ago, jvlonardo said:

Civilian to Reserve. We graduate OTS in April. Buddy just got orders for August UPT. Assuming I'll get the same. What do you do between OTS and UPT? TDY somewhere? Drill? Anything?

Edit: sounds like SERE at least for a month. Still leaves 3 months in limbo. Not that that is an awful thing. Just curious if anyone has a better idea of what happens between OTS and UPT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Baseops Network mobile app

If you're Reserves, I'd doubt that you'll have that much of a break. They like to keep you on solid orders from start to finish with no more than 30 days break in training (causes them more paperwork?). Got a buddy in OTS right now, leaves for IFT 2 days after OTS graduation, then right to SERE, then immediate PCS to UPT. Don't think he's got more than 4 days break between any of the different training pieces. I had some longer stretches between OTS-SERE-UPT, but still nothing more than 30 days. 

You're also not "owned" by your unit until you're spit out at the other end of the pipeline post-FTU, so you won't be going to drill with them. You might, if anything, go to your UPT base and get a casual job. 

Guard will give you longer breaks between training pieces, but I haven't heard of anyone in the Reserves having 3+ months. Then again, maybe the shortage of slots has changed things up? 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:39 PM, FDNYOldGuy said:

If you're Reserves, I'd doubt that you'll have that much of a break. They like to keep you on solid orders from start to finish with no more than 30 days break in training (causes them more paperwork?). Got a buddy in OTS right now, leaves for IFT 2 days after OTS graduation, then right to SERE, then immediate PCS to UPT. Don't think he's got more than 4 days break between any of the different training pieces. I had some longer stretches between OTS-SERE-UPT, but still nothing more than 30 days. 

You're also not "owned" by your unit until you're spit out at the other end of the pipeline post-FTU, so you won't be going to drill with them. You might, if anything, go to your UPT base and get a casual job. 

Guard will give you longer breaks between training pieces, but I haven't heard of anyone in the Reserves having 3+ months. Then again, maybe the shortage of slots has changed things up? 

I might know your buddy ...another FDNY bro named Joe?

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone fill me in on what exactly I have to get done between getting hired and getting to OTS? I was picked up a Heavy Reserve squadron and i'm working with a recruiter, but he is barely giving me any information.

Hired: October 2019

MEPS: December/January 2019

I need a physical at Wright-Patterson? and I need to be accepted by the Air Force Reserves board? Then I can swear in and be gained by the 340th? I haven't had anyone confirm these for me, just things I've picked up from reading this forum. 

12 minutes ago, OptFire said:

Can someone fill me in on what exactly I have to get done between getting hired and getting to OTS? I was picked up a Heavy Reserve squadron and i'm working with a recruiter, but he is barely giving me any information.

Hired: October 2019

MEPS: December/January 2019

I need a physical at Wright-Patterson? and I need to be accepted by the Air Force Reserves board? Then I can swear in and be gained by the 340th? I haven't had anyone confirm these for me, just things I've picked up from reading this forum. 

So you were picked up and your unit isn't helping you but referred you to a recruiter? I thought you usually swear in before going to Wright-Patt and certainly before OTS. I'm pretty sure you don't set up the WP visit on your own and they should be getting your OTS dates for you