Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

8 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

It’s the blind leading the blind around here.  Reserve T-38s are for instructors in the 340th, spread around all the UPT bases and Randolph.  You (most generally) already are established in a major weapons system before you become an instructor in this unit.  I’ve heard of a very few (maybe 1) person getting hired with no experience to join the 340th.  Once in UPT you will be taught by these reserve Instructors when they are available but usually taught by active duty folks, there are way more of them.  The exception to all of this is the reserve T-38 red air bubbas, but they are not in the 340th.  Clear as mud?

edit:  the 340th also has T6 and T1 instructors.

do you know if the guard also has the same opportunities for folks to do short tours back at the training bases?

On 8/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Jetpower said:

340th FTG = 340th Flying Training Group. They manage the UFT pipeline for all the reserve candidates.

Nice, which branch are you in? Although I'm glad that we don't have to attend OTS, I'm curious to see how the AF OTS is compared to the Marine Corps OCS. Do you already have a separation date from your current branch? Nov 1st is my separation date but I may have to push it back so that I can minimize the gap of transition period.

I'm active duty Air Force, so our timelines may look similar. My tentative separation date is 8 November, but that may get pushed slightly for outprocessing purposes. 

As far as the transition period, there will likely be a 2-3 month gap where you're not paid. Be prepared for that. From what I've been told from the 340th, when I separate, it will be about 1 month until I can get gained by the Reserves because of beaurocracy (duty dates are backdated to show no break in service). Then there's a minimum 30 day wait between inprocessing and actually starting training. With classes every 3 weeks, hopefully it all lines up well. There's also the potential to PCS to your UPT base and go to SERE before UPT. 

Hopefully that's helpful. 

• Like 1

There is a Reserve FTS here at Vance; The 5th FTS. We've had a couple guys fly with us in T6s and they aren't tied to specifically to us Reservists; they've flown with everyone in our class regardless of status. Wiki says the 5th instructs in 1s and 38s, too. Our Reserves LNO (officer who wrangles us Reservists at each UPT base), is attached to the 340th and also a 38 IP here. Not sure if he only flies with 340th 38 studs or not. Like @matmacwc said, these folks have been MWS trained and came back years later to instruct.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:47 PM, Fly For a 62E said:

Then there's a minimum 30 day wait between inprocessing and actually starting training. With classes every 3 weeks, hopefully it all lines up well. There's also the potential to PCS to your UPT base and go to SERE before UPT. 

It should be less than 30 days. I went to Inpro and was headed to OTS in 24 days from leaving Randolph and there were folks in our Inpro group that went to the class that started a week earlier than me, so definitely didn't have a 30 day wait. They try to keep a 30 day limit for breaks in training with the Reserves, so it's highly likely you'll be sent to SERE or IFT between OTS and UPT start. Some of my group went directly to SERE from OTS (seriously, the Monday after OTS graduation), others (myself included) PCS'd to UPT right after OTS then left for SERE a week or so after getting here, and others went to IFT and will hit SERE after UPT. 

YMMV, but that was the gist for our batch. Only a few folks that had already been to SERE or had a PPL and didn't have to go to IFT started right up with UPT after OTS. Their goal seems to be to keep training rolling over paying us to sit in a casual job, so they'll fit in what training they can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

YMMV, but that was the gist for our batch. Only a few folks that had already been to SERE or had a PPL and didn't have to go to IFT started right up with UPT after OTS. Their goal seems to be to keep training rolling over paying us to sit in a casual job, so they'll fit in what training they can.

Good to know. I was curious about IFT and if it had become mandatory regardless if one held a PPL (seems requirements change back and forth). As for times between schools, a couple of buddies of mine said the same. Thanks!

Just now, iRobot said:

Good to know. I was curious about IFT and if it had become mandatory regardless if one held a PPL (seems requirements change back and forth). As for times between schools, a couple of buddies of mine said the same. Thanks!

Still not mandatory unless it just recently changed. I didn't go and had a PPL and know there was another stud that wanted to go (even with a PPL) but wasn't allowed to. I had heard that they might have changed it to you'll have to go to IFT even with a PPL if you haven't flown in 2(3?) years, but I don't have a solid line on that.  

• Like 1

Still not mandatory unless it just recently changed. I didn't go and had a PPL and know there was another stud that wanted to go (even with a PPL) but wasn't allowed to. I had heard that they might have changed it to you'll have to go to IFT even with a PPL if you haven't flown in 2(3?) years, but I don't have a solid line on that.  

Good info. I was curious about IFT. I have my commercial rotor wing license but zero fix wing time. My first fix wing flight could end up being in a T6. Might get some lessons here and there before UPT To somewhat understand the “flare” prior to touching down. In the helo world, we just come to a hover and land... I would rather skip IFT and go directly to UPT instead to having to attend IFT. Hope the rules haven’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 8/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, JustHangingOut said:

do you know if the guard also has the same opportunities for folks to do short tours back at the training bases?

There are no ANG white jet instructors.  An ANG member can transfer to the reserves to fly trainers, I’ve seen dudes do it.

43 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

Good info. I was curious about IFT. I have my commercial rotor wing license but zero fix wing time. My first fix wing flight could end up being in a T6. Might get some lessons here and there before UPT To somewhat understand the “flare” prior to touching down. In the helo world, we just come to a hover and land... I would rather skip IFT and go directly to UPT instead to having to attend IFT. Hope the rules haven’t changed.

Getting a couple hours won’t hurt but you would be surprised at how natural it feels still after all those auto rotations with a solid decel at IGE or a roll in landing in the 60

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:22 AM, CharlieHotel47 said:
Anybody else waiting for FY20 UPT dates to drop on the Guard side?

I think we all are in the same boat. I’m a Reserve applicant and the 340th still hasn’t received the dates from the Big Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jetpower

Dates just dropped for FY20.... I can finally complete my timeline. Army rotor guy to ANG tankers

• 15 June 2018: Interview
  • 28 Jun 2018:  Hired
  • 13 Aug 2018:  Flight Physical Completed @ WP 
  • 15 Sep 2018:  Conditional release from Army approved (for 30 days....)
  • 30 Sep 2018:  DD-368 pushed up to NGB. ARB processes started. 
  • 30 Oct 2018: ARB package returned (expired DD-368) missing TAG initials and dates.
  • 15 Nov 2018: ARB package resubmitted to NGB with new 90 day conditional release
  • 29 Jan 2019: ARB package returned (expired 90 day conditional release)
  • 10 Feb 2019: ARB package resubmitted to NGB with 90 day extension of conditional release)
  • 21 May 2019: ARB package returned (expired 90 day conditional release)
  • 1 June 2019: ARB package resubmitted back to NGB with 90 day extension
  • 25 July 2019: NGB A3 issues MFR granting ARB approval
  • 8 Aug 2019: State JFH submits appointment package to NGB A1
  • 9 Aug 2019: NGB A1 issues MFR approval for Temporary Appointment for Prior Service Officer
  • 16 Aug 2019: Swear In with unit
  • 24 Sep 2019: UPT school dates for 2 NOV - Vance OK

Was hoping for Columbus but beggars cant be choosers. Anybody want to trade?

15 months from hired to UPT. 

cheers

Edited by CharlieHotel47
spelling
  • Like 8

10 months to process the ARB @ NGB is BS, which is especially dumb if you're going to be going to UPT anyway. I'm at like 10 weeks and I'm pissed. Of course, it did take 11 months to FEDREC me into the Army Guard so I'm not terrible surprised.

Interestingly, I've been told I don't need my conditional release until the ARB is approved. 

The conditional release Is not part of the checklist so submitting it is not a requirement... however, if you do submit one, they will hold ur package until an extension has been received whenever it expires. Learned my lessoned on that one.

So army bros, if your reading this, don’t submit a 368 along with ARB. You also don’t need ARB approval to submit for ETPs. Very important!

There is more to the hold up at NGB, but when I hit 6 months waiting point, I went up to Andrews and stumble into A3 to ask some questions. Overall, folks are nice and they get ARB should NOT be a req for UPT Bound dudes. However, it’s a HAF requirement and they can’t do anything about it.

• 3 weeks later...
Shot in the dark but is the timeline from hire to WP physical around 2 months or does it vary? 
I'd say that's below average from the guys I've talked to, but it varies. It depends on a lot of things, especially if you're coming from off the street. Availability at WPAFB, how quickly you can get through MEPS, how quickly your unit submits the request, etc.

Some units want you to swear in first. Some recruiters think you have to before you can go to your FC1, but that's not the case.

For me, I went to MEPS around a month after being hired and went to my FC1 about 5 months after being hired. But that was due to some miscommunication and my MEPS results not being quickly delivered to the guys scheduling my FC1.

I know an enlisted guy that got hired at his home unit, and his FC1 was about 3 months from hire. So I'd be ecstatic about getting there in 2 months.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 8:20 PM, elvis said:

Prior enlisted Fighter Guard unit:

(Enlisted in the Unit hired by)

AFOQT/TBAS: Dec 2018

Board: February 2019

Hired:  March 2019

FC1: May 2019

OTS: OCT 2019

(No IFT) 

UPT: April 2020 Laughlin

FTU:??

Updated for UPT dates. 

Off the street hire at a Guard Tanker Unit.

AFOQT/TBAS: July 2016

Board: November 2019

Hired:  November 2019

FC1: ???

OTS: ??? 

UPT: ???

FTU: ???

Feels good to finally start this timeline. 

Edited by ryleypav
I'm dumb.
  • Like 1

Anyone out there with an estimated timeline for someone switching services? I already have a commission (can skip OTS), pilots license (can skip IFT), TS clearance, FC1 complete with all waivers needed in hand (finished with this bureaucracy)...just wondering possible timeline from my last day in the Navy to potential UPT dates. 

Were you a flier or rated guy in the navy? 

A- get hired by unit, have a valid DD368 

B- hope you have a shit hot recruiter that can get you gain in a reasonable amount of time.

C- slots were cut for FY20. If your lucky after accomplishing A & B, (in 4-6 months maybe) tag another 6 months until you can get dates. If luck is really on your side, your actual arrival at UPT dates will not be far from notification of school dates. 

hope that helps. Cheers 

2 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

C- slots were cut for FY20. If your lucky after accomplishing A & B, (in 4-6 months maybe) tag another 6 months until you can get dates. If luck is really on your side, your actual arrival at UPT dates will not be far from notification of school dates. 

Can you elaborate on the "slots were cut" part of that?