Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

@Targeteer sounds about right!. I tried to contact Personnel and Readiness when the Navy stonewalled my conditional release, but was eventually able to get it resolved backchannel by posting on the Navy equivalent of this board. I'm surprised you had the scrolling hangup since I promoted to O-3 while Navy IRR as well and didn't have that issue. Was it a recent promotion?

It seems lots of processes here are broken and nobody is working with any sense of urgency (and in some cases, competency).

It wasn't a recent promotion. Nobody really blatantly stonewalled anything for me. It was more about getting every piece together when it was needed from all the different offices involved. Navy Bupers, my 4 different recruiters and I had been trying to figure out what "ratified into the Navy Reserve" meant in regards to scrolling. I finally tracked down the right people and found out that the "ratification" meant my last promotion letter in the Navy, not that they needed to verify that I was IRR. My last day of active duty was as an O-2 and I promoted to O-3 in the IRR the next day. The SECDEF P&R needed this information to scroll properly. The Navy kept saying my IRR file looked accurate on their side (showed O-3, dates, etc.), and they didn't understand the hold up until recently.

The process definitely needs to be fixed, especially for inter service transfer types.

I am also an interservice transfer guy transitioning from the Marine Corps to AFRC. My recruiter sent my scrolling paperwork at the end of April with a temporary DD368 that was signed off by my squadron CO just for the sole purpose of initiating the scrolling process so hopefully it gets done smoothly. The Headquarters of the Marine Corps approved my conditional release from active duty for 1 Nov without reserve commission or IRR commitment which I am glad about. All in all, I just do not understand why the scrolling process takes 4-6 months, that’s not including the time to obtain a DD368 which can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Maybe I should avoid all this hassle and stick with the Corps so that I can stay in shape - my hiring unit told me that I’m going to be the only one PTing at 0600..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got good news today. My scroll was approved. The bad news is my DD-368 Conditional Release form expires (2nd or 3rd time this has happened) tomorrow apparently according to my recruiter. All sides are pushing to get me gained by tomorrow. I have an oath of office form in hand waiting to be witnessed and signed. I have to track down another officer or go to a notary in town when given the go ahead by the recruiters.

Interservice transfers, your experience may vary, but be prepared to play middle man between recruiters, squadron, and others involved. Stay proactive.

8 hours ago, Targeteer said:

Got good news today. My scroll was approved. The bad news is my DD-368 Conditional Release form expires (2nd or 3rd time this has happened) tomorrow apparently according to my recruiter. All sides are pushing to get me gained by tomorrow. I have an oath of office form in hand waiting to be witnessed and signed. I have to track down another officer or go to a notary in town when given the go ahead by the recruiters.

Interservice transfers, your experience may vary, but be prepared to play middle man between recruiters, squadron, and others involved. Stay proactive.

Your gaining date will be the date on your oath so you should be good already

16 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

Your gaining date will be the date on your oath so you should be good already

Correct, as soon as I'm told all my other paperwork is squared away I am then supposed to date and sign the oath. All the dates are blank as of right now. Gaining date should be today.

1 hour ago, Targeteer said:

Correct, as soon as I'm told all my other paperwork is squared away I am then supposed to date and sign the oath. All the dates are blank as of right now. Gaining date should be today.

interesting....my swear in date was the day i raised my hand...my gain happened about a month later....at the end of the day, the only date that matters in relation to your DD368 expiring is the day you swore in because that is what will show on your records for the "day you joined the Air Force"...but if your unit is squared away and can knock them out that close together that's awesome!

15 hours ago, Targeteer said:

I am on the same boat. My application is still floating somewhere in NGB land looking for approval. I can’t swear until I have ARB approval at NGB. My 368 has expired 3 times while sitting on somebody’s desk. 

I should start a new tread that reads “bastard child from another branch” and what you should expect during the process. 

Are you Navy fighters going Blue? If so, you have an advantage vs us dirty army guys going heavies. Fighters are priority all across the board from what I understand (NGB & AFR). Their applications move faster thru the process. 

Oh well... get after it fellas. Staying proactive is the key for sure. 

Cheers 🍻 

On 4/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, PTM.24 said:

Timeline for guard heavy unit.

UPT selection board - 28 March 2018

Selection notification - 9 April 2018

FC1 - 27 August 2018

FC1 stamped - 10 October 2018

Dates received - 15 April 2019  (TFOT 30Jul) (IFT14Nov) (UPT?)

Any idea why it took 8 months post FC1 and 6 months from the stamp for your dates?

I'm 3.5 months out from FC1, unofficially told I passed 2.5 months ago and now radio silence.

I don't need TFOT, so hoping to get IFT dates that start in Nov or Dec.. 

Edited by Insert name

On 5/23/2019 at 5:24 PM, dotonfire said:

MEPS: 01 Mar 2018
Package submitted: 08 Mar 2018
FOIA request for certain military records (at squadron's request): 16 Mar 2018
MEPS redux (to correct missing documentation): 03 Apr 2018
FOIA received: 06 Apr 2018
Interview: 27 Apr 2018
Hired: 1 May 2018
DD368 (Navy IRR > USAFR) rejected: 21 May 2018
DD368 reconsidered and approved: 02 July 2018
ETP (TFCS) approved: Sep 2018
Board: Nov 2018 missed due to another required waiver (signed Nov 2018)
Board: package resubmitted for Jan 2019 board
Scrolled: Jan 2019
IFC 1A 16 Jan 2019
Squadron notified of selection 16 Jan 2019
DD368 extension to 31 July from 28 Feb granted: 05 Feb 2019
IFC IA submitted to AETC: 29 Apr 2019 (had to get some bloodwork redone and there was debate as to whether or not I'd require a waiver for things; ultimately not required)
IFC IA stamped: 20 May 2019

Swear-in: June 2019?
DD368 submitted: June 2019?
340th inprocessing: September 2019?
UCT: ??

It's tough to believe I was hired a year ago and am still going through the process, but there's light at the end of the tunnel finally.

I've a buddy who got hired in Sept 2017, our Naval IRR unit didn't get his 369 submitted until Dec after they released that Navadmin saying Navy wouldn't release anyone. He finally got his FC1 done late April '19....keep pressing.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

I am on the same boat. My application is still floating somewhere in NGB land looking for approval. I can’t swear until I have ARB approval at NGB. My 368 has expired 3 times while sitting on somebody’s desk. 

I should start a new tread that reads “bastard child from another branch” and what you should expect during the process. 

Are you Navy fighters going Blue? If so, you have an advantage vs us dirty army guys going heavies. Fighters are priority all across the board from what I understand (NGB & AFR). Their applications move faster thru the process. 

Cheers 🍻 

Ah this doesn't give me hope...I'm sure my 368 has expired by now..

On 5/31/2019 at 1:33 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Cheers 🍻 

No, I'm a Navy non-rated-O that used to know about bombs/targeting transferring to bomber WSO. We tried to get everything finalized last Friday, but my recruiter was told by ARPC/DPAAA to wait until this week (no jumping to the front of the line). This week has now turned into a specific day next week for my oath (at least we're narrowing it down to a day.) 

16 minutes ago, Insert name said:

Ah this doesn't give me hope...I'm sure my 368 has expired by now..

My 368 expired last Friday, but my recruiter was able to get it extended pretty easily. I think it was that Friday or following Monday COB that it was extended. As long as he knows who to contact in the personnel commands it shouldn't be a big deal.

3 hours ago, Insert name said:

I've a buddy who got hired in Sept 2017, our Naval IRR unit didn't get his 369 submitted until Dec after they released that Navadmin saying Navy wouldn't release anyone. He finally got his FC1 done late April '19....keep pressing.

Thanks, it was quite a fight to get it approved by the Navy with that Navadmin, even though I have the most useless desginator in the service. It really set my timeline back a ways, too.

O5 at my hiring unit keeps asking me why I'm not in OTS yet. He said once i get the FC1 it shouldn't take as long as i think to approve and that they can push it. Is it wrong to really doubt he's right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Baseops Network mobile app

Took me 7 months from FC1 to OTS for your reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jvlonardo said:

O5 at my hiring unit keeps asking me why I'm not in OTS yet. He said once i get the FC1 it shouldn't take as long as i think to approve and that they can push it. Is it wrong to really doubt he's right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Baseops Network mobile app

The technicians at Wright Patt told me it takes 6-8 weeks for it just to get to AETC and that they're backed up right now. That probably doesn't include the 900 other people it has to go through. 

• Like 1

I was picked up on the May reserves board and already have an IFC1 complete and have an MFS scheduled for mid July.(I didn’t do my IFC1 at Wright Patt)

Has anyone had any recent experience regarding how long it’ll take to get to OTS once that’s complete?

to my fellow Army guard bums: Is anybody having issues with ARB approval at the NGB level. The recruiter I am working with told me they changed the process and its taking longer than expected push applications thru. So far my timeline:

AFOQT & TBAS: JUL 17

Interview: MAY 18

Hired: JUNE 18

FC1 Complete: AUG 18

DD368 Approved: DEC 18

ARB packet submitted to NGB: DEC 18

ARB packet rejected due to expired DD368: MAR 18

ARB packet submitted with DD368 Extension: APR 18

ARB approval so that I can swear in the AF:________???

All I hear from squadron leadership and my recruiter is that NGB's new system for bringing a bastard from other branch like myself is Broken. 

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I sure hope so. My current Chinook unit already has a NOS for late FY21. I've had enough of Afghanistan. Can a guy just get a pickle suit and a comfortable hotel room in Germany to finally feel like a real pilot?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

to my fellow Army guard bums: Is anybody having issues with ARB approval at the NGB level. The recruiter I am working with told me they changed the process and its taking longer than expected push applications thru. So far my timeline:

AFOQT & TBAS: JUL 17

Interview: MAY 18

Hired: JUNE 18

FC1 Complete: AUG 18

DD368 Approved: DEC 18

ARB packet submitted to NGB: DEC 18

ARB packet rejected due to expired DD368: MAR 18

ARB packet submitted with DD368 Extension: APR 18

ARB approval so that I can swear in the AF:________???

All I hear from squadron leadership and my recruiter is that NGB's new system for bringing a bastard from other branch like myself is Broken. 

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I sure hope so. My current Chinook unit already has a NOS for late FY21. I've had enough of Afghanistan. Can a guy just get a pickle suit and a comfortable hotel room in Germany to finally feel like a real pilot?

Thanks for the update. I’ve got UPT dates coming up in a few months and won’t be able to go until my ARB is done

32 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

Thanks for the update. I’ve got UPT dates coming up in a few months and won’t be able to go until my ARB is done

I think you’ll take priority over me in the ARB queue since you have school dates. Did your unit bring you into a non rated slot in order to swear in the Air Force without ARB approval? 

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I think you’ll take priority over me in the ARB queue since you have school dates. Did your unit bring you into a non rated slot in order to swear in the Air Force without ARB approval? 

I was brought into student flight but attached to the squadron...if that’s a thing...I’m not sure if that’s what they were supposed to do and I know that my packet was kicked back once because if it. I don’t think NGB normally did what my unit did.