Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

55 minutes ago, Misfit42 said:

2 years left from Mother Rucker (I'm anticipating some pushback for that). Trying to jump before I get sent to Safety and IPC later this FY and get locked in for longer.

You can’t get involuntarily sent to safety/IPC or any other school that adds an ADSO if you don’t want it. Any ADSO you take us voluntary at this point. And no unit will send you if they know you are bailing on that short a timeline anyway. Just my experience. And yeah, continuous orders is how the reserves roll. Takes a while to start, but once you do, it doesn’t stop. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilot said:

You can’t get involuntarily sent to safety/IPC or any other school that adds an ADSO if you don’t want it. Any ADSO you take us voluntary at this point. And no unit will send you if they know you are bailing on that short a timeline anyway. Just my experience. And yeah, continuous orders is how the reserves roll. Takes a while to start, but once you do, it doesn’t stop. 

@pilotThanks for clarifying the continuous orders thing, that helps a lot. I agree on the ADSO thing (sorry if I misspoke and made it sound involuntary).

4 hours ago, Misfit42 said:

Thanks to everyone's insight, I understand the prolonged timeline to getting fully accessed. However, I was wondering if any Reserve bros could give me any insight has to how long of a wait is anticipated between swearing in/in-processing and getting sent to OTS? Also I've heard that upon in-processing at OTS that I'd be on continuous orders until I complete UPT, any truth to that? I know with the Guard that they like to break up orders, so they can save G3 some money

I think I can help some, but I'll preface it with I had a very odd run at things and did a whole lot of it out of whack with the normal progression and timeline.

That said, you're right on the Reserves pipeline all being on continuous orders; although it's not ONE set of orders that spells the whole pipeline out, but just a continuous path through all of the training with orders cut back to back so you're never "off" orders and not in training/not getting paid. For the Reserves, all pilots (no matter the airframe) are put into the 340th FTG, so there's one POC handling the entire training pipeline. So, technically, we're not owned by our home units until (at least) after UPT. No drill weekends while waiting to leave and no real interaction with your home units, besides check-ins. The 340th handles all pay, travel/PCS, orders, leave, questions, etc.; nothing is handled by your home unit. 

The Guard has each individual unit handling things, which means each unit is fighting for limited training slots in each piece of training (OTS, SERE, IFT, UPT, etc.), which can sometimes lead to big breaks in the training. They also "own" you immediately, so you're attending drill weekends and all issues (pay, orders, travel, etc.) are handled directly by them. Any waivers have to go up the chain from unit, to state, to NGB, which can be disjointed, from what I've heard.

Pros and cons to both, but I've appreciated the Reserves single POC/continuous pipeline aspects and knew it would move things a little faster along, which was important with my advanced age.

Anyway, in the Reserves pipeline, you'll go to Inprocessing at Randolph about 2 weeks (can vary, but usually within a month) before your OTS start date. That will be a separate set of orders than OTS and you'll be back off orders after it. Starting with OTS, they'll do just about anything, scheduling-wise, they can to keep you on continuous orders (less than 30 days break in training/authorized delay). As of now, I can only verify this is through UPT, which will also include SERE and IFT (if you don't have a PPL already) and not further through FTU/unit seasoning, because that's my experience thus far. The orders are broken up, so it won't be one set that takes you through everything, but they write them to be back to back as you go through the pipeline so you won't have any breaks in pay/being on AD orders.

For instance, I have OTS orders that end after graduation, that follow the very next day with my PCS to my UPT base, break in training, SERE, break in training, and then start of UPT/T6s. I had initially seen orders taking me completely through UPT, but they got pulled back before full approval and they were cut down in number of days, but the timeline and dates are the same.

Speaking of which, I dunno if I've ever put a full timeline of my little journey up here, so here goes:

Dec 2017 - AFOQT

Mar 2018 - TBAS

May 2018 - MEPS

July 2018 - FC1 

July 2018 - Interviewed with Reserves heavy squadron; told I was hired less than 36 hours after leaving. They hustled to get my age ETP/waiver signed and up the chain, as well as my packet together, for the next UPT/OTS board, which was beyond awesome and super helpful. I also annoyed anyone I could to help expedite things along. Plus, being old as hell (I was 36 then) helped, too. So, my paperwork likely moved quicker than normal due to that stuff, I think.

Sep 2018 - UPT/OTS board; picked up by board

Dec 2018 - Inpro with 340th FTG at Randolph

Jan 2019 - OTS

Mar 2019 - PCS to Vance

April 2019 - SERE

May 2019 - May 2020 UPT (I have orders only to T1 start, due to FY break/funding

FTU and Prog Tour dates TBD, but likely following a PCS back to my home base at the completion of UPT, before the TDY to the FTU.

YMMV at all of this, but that's the general Reserves system and timeline.

Edited by FDNYOldGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, JustHangingOut said:

• 25 Feb 19: School Dates Received (starting UPT fall 2019 and bypassing IFT)
    • hoping for a shortfall to get a sooner class date...anyone want to trade

Hey, congrats on getting the dates and through the process, it's pretty grueling...quick question for ya, if you don't mind.

We're looking at 6-7 months out for school dates, now? I'm waiting on my med to be stamped, then need paperwork sent to NBG and then gained by my unit (transferring as O from other reserve branch.)

I still have to go to IFT as well, any idea if the wait for IFT is the same amount of time? And to my understanding UPT can't be requested until IFT has been completed?

Thanks

Edited by Insert name

@Insert name, I'm in a similar boat as you - waiting on my med to get stamped so I can swear in, sign my DD368 and send that in, and then finally get dates. How long ago did your phys get sent in?

Also, anybody know if you've completed IFT for another branch but don't yet have your PPL, can you get USAF IFT waivered?

On 3/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, FDNYOldGuy said:

The 340th handles all pay, travel/PCS, orders, leave, questions, etc.; nothing is handled by your home unit. 

1 caveat on that (as of march 2019) your home unit cuts orders for your FC1, at least that's what the 340th told me last week. 

EDIT: I was hired before my FC1, I see your timeline is different. 

Edited by rudderrightmore

58 minutes ago, Insert name said:

Hey, congrats on getting the dates and through the process, it's pretty grueling...quick question for ya, if you don't mind.

We're looking at 6-7 months out for school dates, now? I'm waiting on my med to be stamped, then need paperwork sent to NBG and then gained by my unit (transferring as O from other reserve branch.)

I still have to go to IFT as well, any idea if the wait for IFT is the same amount of time? And to my understanding UPT can't be requested until IFT has been completed?

Thanks

I would say 6-7 months for school once you are gained in the unit. I was gained in late december, received IFT dates in Feb for a May date and UPT dates for October. Other guys in the pipeline with my squadron have closer timelines where they are all back to back. Make sure you also check with the security manager that they have started your TS paperwork as well or NGB wont let you swear in until your investigation is open (not complete or even started...but status of "open"). That was a big head ache for me towards the end that added some time to the whole process.

8 hours ago, rudderrightmore said:

1 caveat on that (as of march 2019) your home unit cuts orders for your FC1, at least that's what the 340th told me last week. 

EDIT: I was hired before my FC1, I see your timeline is different. 

That was it; I went on my own dime to FC1, before I was hired by anyone. I figured it would help with my age already being an issue to have another potential hurdle out of the way. 

2 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

That was it; I went on my own dime to FC1, before I was hired by anyone. I figured it would help with my age already being an issue to have another potential hurdle out of the way. 

Whoa, how’d you manage that? I tried to pay my own way to do MFS since I already had an IFC1 but they wouldn’t let me.

12 hours ago, mb1685 said:

Whoa, how’d you manage that? I tried to pay my own way to do MFS since I already had an IFC1 but they wouldn’t let me.

A whole lot of legwork/networking and my penchant for annoying a whole lot of people, honestly. Pretty sure my recruiters (yes, had to work with a couple) hated me and continue to stab voodoo dolls of me, even in their retirement. But, it got me to where I wanted to be.

I wish I could offer better advice, but it really was just a whole lot of luck, my own hustle to find info, and getting in touch with the right people at the right time. I had the same luck with my AFOQT/TBAS scheduling, too. Judging from a lot of folks I've talked to recently and posts on here, a lot of the openings (FC1, AFOQT/TBAS, etc.) to be able to do a lot of that stuff have been closed. Pipelines are jamming up with pilots, so the chance to just shuffle people in for that stuff seems to be greatly diminished. 

So, my apologies for not being able to provide specific details, but it really was a lot of hustling on my part, networking, and chance that isn't an exact roadmap that will work for others. The main thing I can advise is to do a lot of your own work getting boxes checked, if you really want this. It's easy to get frustrated and die on the vine if you're always waiting for someone else to tell you what to do next, waiting to hear back from someone, or waiting for someone else to schedule something for you.

Research the hell out of everything you need to do, network and ask questions, and handle as much of it as you can by yourself. It'll pay off two-fold; first by proving that you're serious by taking the initiative and second by getting the networking wheels moving.  

No one cares about you getting this job as much as you, so do what you can to prove you want it to those that you encounter in your path to wings.

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, JustHangingOut said:

I would say 6-7 months for school once you are gained in the unit. I was gained in late december, received IFT dates in Feb for a May date and UPT dates for October. Other guys in the pipeline with my squadron have closer timelines where they are all back to back. Make sure you also check with the security manager that they have started your TS paperwork as well or NGB wont let you swear in until your investigation is open (not complete or even started...but status of "open"). That was a big head ache for me towards the end that added some time to the whole process.

Ok, thanks for the info. Haven't started any TS work yet, but I'm also not gained into the unit yet either. Med has been passed but not stamped/approved and sent through the chain. Was your unit able to request IFT and UPT dates at the same time for you, or do you need to complete IFT before getting UPT dates? At this point, it's looking like I won't get into UPT until 2020 or possibly later if it's 8 months lead time?

Also, in the guard, could you help to clarify what happens between parts of the pipeline? My understanding before was you go back to your job. But, speaking with my unit they said they were going to cut orders for IFT-UPT-and individual aircraft all in one go. I can't see this all being back to back, is there any word what you do in between, I heard mention of being stashed at headquarters, would this be NGB in Arlington?

Thanks again for any info!

On 3/15/2019 at 11:12 AM, dotonfire said:

@Insert name, I'm in a similar boat as you - waiting on my med to get stamped so I can swear in, sign my DD368 and send that in, and then finally get dates. How long ago did your phys get sent in?

I completed my medical late Feb, got a call last week from my unit I had passed but that it still needs to go through the paperwork drill before it's approved and then my packet gets sent to NGB so, similarly to you, I can be gained and then get dates. 

Will be interesting to see how this goes, have you heard anything about lead time outside of what we've seen on the forum here?

12 minutes ago, Insert name said:

Ok, thanks for the info. Haven't started any TS work yet, but I'm also not gained into the unit yet either. Med has been passed but not stamped/approved and sent through the chain. Was your unit able to request IFT and UPT dates at the same time for you, or do you need to complete IFT before getting UPT dates? At this point, it's looking like I won't get into UPT until 2020 or possibly later if it's 8 months lead time?

Also, in the guard, could you help to clarify what happens between parts of the pipeline? My understanding before was you go back to your job. But, speaking with my unit they said they were going to cut orders for IFT-UPT-and individual aircraft all in one go. I can't see this all being back to back, is there any word what you do in between, I heard mention of being stashed at headquarters, would this be NGB in Arlington?

Thanks again for any info!

the in between time...every unit operates differently. Idealy they will try to get class dates that all line up, but if NGB doesnt have that option available, you won't get it and will likely be sent back to your home unit. Whether your unit keeps you on orders during the time in between is up to them, but i would assume it would not be likely. My IFT and UPT dates were scheduled at the time, but were slotted months apart to where i would not be on continuous orders the whole time. Now i do not have to go to IFT so it's no big deal. I'm sorry i cant give a more definitive answer as ever situation is a bit different and what drug deals your unit is able to work with NGB to get everything to line up back to back. From what i have seen on the forums here, from UPT on, everything tends to be back to back, but everything prior is a crap shoot.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:27 AM, ctf151 said:

Anyone know the current timeline, from getting hired as a sponsored pilot through the ANG to OTS? I'm fresh off the streets. 

It really depends on your unit.  It took me 2 years from hired to TFOT. I needed an age waiver.   But i know someone who got hired a year after me who is going to TFOT now.  

10 hours ago, RIOMAR89 said:

It really depends on your unit.  It took me 2 years from hired to TFOT. I needed an age waiver.   But i know someone who got hired a year after me who is going to TFOT now.  

Literally had my interview and selected in September, MEPS and my first class physical in November and then OTS/TFOT in March! Really depends though, I know a guy who waited 2 years to even get his first class physical!

47 minutes ago, AlphaPapa said:

Literally had my interview and selected in September, MEPS and my first class physical in November and then OTS/TFOT in March! Really depends though, I know a guy who waited 2 years to even get his first class physical!

Nice.  What unit are you with?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Lifetimeflier said:

Does anyone know if TFOT 30July class is full? We heard of a guy get that date two weeks ago and I'm currently waiting on dates myself. They canceled the August TFOT and I don't think the fiscal 2020 class dates are out yet.

Follow up question, are guard/reserve not allowed in the first couple FY2020 classes? The 340th said I'd have to wait until the next calendar year for OTS dates if I didn't get in 19-07

• Like 1

Another Green to Blue guy here (currently active duty rotary wing officer). So far my timeline looks like:

AFOQT: FEB 18

TBAS: MAR 18

Interview/Hired: JUN 18

DD368 Approved: SEP18

Army Separation Packet Approved: OCT18

FC1 Scheduled Notification: OCT18 (Originally scheduled for JAN19, but they were able to get me in NOV18)

FC1: NOV18

FC1 Stamped: JAN19 (although nobody ever notified me when it was approved, so I didn't get it until MAR19 and missed the AFRC Board)

AFRC UPT Board: Will submit in MAY 19

Separation from Army: SEP19 (Thank God!)

Since I'm already and officer and I have my PPL, I understand I will go straight UPT. I'm hoping to minimize my break in service, so do any of you see an issue with the time between the AFRC board (May19) and my separation date (late Sep19)? Ideally, I would go inprocess with the 340th the day after my separation date.

8 minutes ago, Flip6 said:

Another Green to Blue guy here (currently active duty rotary wing officer). So far my timeline looks like:

AFOQT: FEB 18

TBAS: MAR 18

Interview/Hired: JUN 18

DD368 Approved: SEP18

Army Separation Packet Approved: OCT18

FC1 Scheduled Notification: OCT18 (Originally scheduled for JAN19, but they were able to get me in NOV18)

FC1: NOV18

FC1 Stamped: JAN19 (although nobody ever notified me when it was approved, so I didn't get it until MAR19 and missed the AFRC Board)

AFRC UPT Board: Will submit in MAY 19

Separation from Army: SEP19 (Thank God!)

Since I'm already and officer and I have my PPL, I understand I will go straight UPT. I'm hoping to minimize my break in service, so do any of you see an issue with the time between the AFRC board (May19) and my separation date (late Sep19)? Ideally, I would go inprocess with the 340th the day after my separation date.

Congrats! great to see another rotor head get through the gauntlet! I start this fall. If you are headed to Columbus, let's get together for a beer. 

Anybody know anyone at AETC (the training command that approves FC1s)? Or how your unit finds out that your FC1 gets stamped approved? - If I can help it I would rather not wait an extra 2 months like @Flip6 did, to find out his was approved. I had waited 3 weeks to ask the Wright/Patt crew for any kind of update and they said it had just been sent to AETC the day before I called.