Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

6 minutes ago, kona4breakfast said:

Interesting. My process so far has been medical, then ARB, then IST packet proper. Currently waiting on the ARB. I'll be helo only, already rated and prior commissioned. Haven't heard about the TS issue, but I'll query my recruiter. I'm about 3 months in. Supposed to be another 3-5 months.

yeah your process may be different since I am going through the UPT pipeline.

2 hours ago, kona4breakfast said:

Interesting. My process so far has been medical, then ARB, then IST packet proper. Currently waiting on the ARB. I'll be helo only, already rated and prior commissioned. Haven't heard about the TS issue, but I'll query my recruiter. I'm about 3 months in. Supposed to be another 3-5 months.

I am UPT route from Army helos and I was told I would be following somewhat of the same route by taking care of the ARB first. I am done with medical and already have a TS. I get the feeling that my recruiter is taking a "trial and error" mentality on what to submit to NGB first. He assured me and my squadron CC that once I get ARB approval I will be able to swear in with the request for school dates running concurrently with age and commission time waivers packages. I will let you bros know how it goes as if and why it got kicked back.

Edited by CharlieHotel47

4 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I would recommend contacting them hard on Thursdays or Friday. Don't wait for a phone call. I also have the contact info for the program manager if you would like to PM me. When you get chance, read the FC1 forum on this site. Lots of good info and accurate check in instructions. It was super beneficial for me when I went thru. I am sure lots of non Air Force bros here would agree.

As far as dates go, I believe you have to swear into your unit prior to requesting school dates. If you aren't in need of waivers for age or commission the flow should be smooth. Push the navy folks to release the DD368 ASAP. It was the hold up for me after getting hired and the ANG could not move forward with any of my packages.

I have heard of folks having to wait over a year after they got hired before receiving school dates. For those in that situation, our best hope is for a shortfall to jump on.

Good luck with everything and congrats on getting hired.

Cheers

Thank you and thanks for all the info.

I'll give them a call later this week. If that doesn't do much good then I may ask for the Program Managers info. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I had a friend have an initial DD368 denied and sit around for a year for it to be approved the second time. We contacted our OCM and figured out his hold up was within our Command and it never reached PERS before and his turnaround was almost immediate with PERS. Most recently, my Program Office told me that my DD368 is with PERS and I've done everything I need to. Much longer I may need to figure out which doors to knock on there, I haven't looked into their setup yet... My hope is I don't have to wait much longer on NAVPERS.

Frustrating that I just need that approval signature and I could get some hard dates if I understand you correctly. I can do that before the FC1 and MFS have been completed?

3 hours ago, Insert name said:

Frustrating that I just need that approval signature and I could get some hard dates if I understand you correctly. I can do that before the FC1 and MFS have been completed?

You can schedule your FC1 and complete it prior to having a DD368... However, you will have to do it on your own time and dime. I don't thinking it will help in speeding up the overall process. I haven't made it to acquiring some hard training dates yet. I will let someone else chime in on that.

Edited by CharlieHotel47

I did FC1, ARB, then swore in, and only then could I get dates. I don’t think it’s even possible to assign you a TLN (ie putting your SSN to a training spot) until you’ve sworn in, and on the reserve side they wouldn’t let me swear in until my ARB was complete. Also regarding the FC1, I have an army bro who was active duty and got the reserves to pay for the FC1 before he swore in on invitational orders (same way I did it as a civilian at the time). Ymmv with guard. 

13 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

I did FC1, ARB, then swore in, and only then could I get dates. I don’t think it’s even possible to assign you a TLN (ie putting your SSN to a training spot) until you’ve sworn in, and on the reserve side they wouldn’t let me swear in until my ARB was complete. Also regarding the FC1, I have an army bro who was active duty and got the reserves to pay for the FC1 before he swore in on invitational orders (same way I did it as a civilian at the time). Ymmv with guard. 

So, if the guard will pay for the FC1, and they are the ones who initiated contact with WP, then I should be able to complete my medical requirements before waiting for the 368 to be approved. I have no problems doing the coordinating from here, but I imagine the guard should need to be in on the loop if they would be paying and I'd be on "invitational orders." I'm just trying to learn what I need to do to push things forward and keep the ball rolling since I've hit a bit of a lull. It's almost 3 months since being hired and nearly 2 since my Request for FC1 paperwork was initially submitted, and coming up on a month since I submitted my paperwork to the FC1 coordinator.

Makes sense I need to be worn into the guard before I can receive dates and pushing NAVPERS for the 368 is another separate issue I may come upon.

Thanks for all the info

On 1/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, FlyArmy said:

After you swore in, did you have to wait on age and TFCT waivers prior to getting UPT dates?

23 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

After you swore in, did you have to wait on age and TFCT waivers prior to getting UPT dates?

I had to get my ETPs signed and submitted with my packet to the AFRC board. My whole sequence was (keep in mind I was a civ on a break in service so ymmv): “hired” by unit, MEPS, FC1, scroll, ETPs, AFRC board, swear in, get dates, 2 days to inprocess reserves, straight to UPT a few days before my class dates. The guard is a little different so it may not be the same. But I have a little SA from when I was talking to Cathy R at NGB when I was rushing a guard unit and trying to figure it all out. She said I had to get the unit to submit my ARB and ETP paperwork to the NGB, get an FC1, and only after those were complete could I get solid dates. It sounded like I could be penciled in prior to that though. Not sure if she’s still the one assigning class dates, but she was helpful in discussing it with me. 

3 hours ago, dotonfire said:

@FlyArmy how long did the scrolling process take? I was thinking I could only scroll after AFRC selection, FC1 (req'd for swearing in), and swear-in. I'm IRR, so not having a break in service might have affected my timeline.

As soon as the unit hired me my recruiter  started MEPS paperwork and got the scroll stuff going. I think it took about 4 months. I’ve heard of it taking up to 9. And you can’t swear into the reserves until the scroll is done. So I’d expedite getting that rolling. Got a bro from the navy who was navy IRR, selected by an afrc board, stuck awaiting the scroll and had to give up his original UPT date and get a later one because the scroll wasn’t done. 

19 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

As soon as the unit hired me my recruiter  started MEPS paperwork and got the scroll stuff going. I think it took about 4 months. I’ve heard of it taking up to 9. And you can’t swear into the reserves until the scroll is done. So I’d expedite getting that rolling. Got a bro from the navy who was navy IRR, selected by an afrc board, stuck awaiting the scroll and had to give up his original UPT date and get a later one because the scroll wasn’t done. 

What is scrolling? I haven't run into that term before.

2 hours ago, Insert name said:

What is scrolling? I haven't run into that term before.

Reserve thing to allow a commission into the reserves...not to be confused with getting an appointment order once sworn in. This process, signed by the secdef, essentially recognizes a previous commission from another branch/component into the reserves. I don’t think the guard does that but I’m not 100% sure. 

Here’s a few mentions of it in the link below. There’s a little info on google but not much. It was a PITA because I kept asking my recruiter who asked AFRC what the status was and it was “awaiting secdef signature” for a long time...so it’s hard to get any SA on the status. 

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/search/?&q=Scroll&search_and_or=or

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2017 at 12:53 PM, RunningMan said:

Guard-Prior

Interview-Sep16

Selected-Oct16

FC1-Jan17

FC1 Approved-Feb17

NGB Approval and Training Dates-May 17

TFOT-July17

IFS-Sep17

UPT-Nov17

Edited February 27 by RunningMan

Graduated UPT -Jan19

FTU and Sere Dates start this month back to back.

Seasoning days to follow

3 year process start to finish for me. If you apply, expect having to be patient. It is worth it though. Don’t let your scores keep you from applying to a unit. The PCSM is in no way a direct reflection of how you will perform at UPT. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what the timeline may look like for a person transitioning out of AD enlisted to the ANG pending actually getting hired? 

Some additional information that may affect the timeline. I already have a security clearance as well as having my FC1 done before I submit my package. After reading this thread it seems that these are the things that hold people up in actually getting to OTS. This is all hypothetical, but I would feel better about having some idea if someone has been in this situation before. I would potentially need to palace chase if the dates didn't work out. If they worked out perfectly then I would do a palace front. Thanks in advance. 

I'm recently sponsored and working with a recruiter to get my package up to the March AFRC board.  Does anybody know for certain what you need to have complete prior to meeting the board?  My unit says I need the FC1 done; however, my recruiter says I do not.  I feel like these kind of things are constantly changing, given the pilot shortage.

Thanks!

On 2/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, cowdog said:

I'm recently sponsored and working with a recruiter to get my package up to the March AFRC board.  Does anybody know for certain what you need to have complete prior to meeting the board?  My unit says I need the FC1 done; however, my recruiter says I do not.  I feel like these kind of things are constantly changing, given the pilot shortage.

Thanks!

I was sponsored and selected in January’s board WITHOUT an FC1, so it’s possible.

That being said, I wish we would’ve scheduled it as soon as I was sponsored since there’s such a backlog at WP

On 3/21/2018 at 1:03 PM, ackc said:

I’m a prior Army Officer (non rated) 28.5 yrs 

interview/hire - April 2017

packet forwarded for approval - May 2017

medical DQ from previous military injury - August 2017

waiver granted - October 2017

MEPs -October 2017

final waiver granted - November 2017

DD 368 (release from Army to AF) approved - 30 January 2018

Appointment packet sent to State/NGB - 1 February 2018

I’m almost 1 year out from date of hire without swearing in, nor do I have any other dates or FC1 appointments scheduled. Obviously fighting the delay/waiver took a big chunk of time. How long should I expect it to take to be sworn back in/ reappointed?

So- after nearly a full year from this post, I'm still not sworn in.  I was hired at 27 years old, I'm currently 29.

July 2018 - Appointment Packet returned without action.  Policy change requires ETP memo for Years in Service / Age

September 2018 - FC1 complete at WPAFB

November 2018 - FC1 Results sent back to unit

December 2018 - ETP Sent to NGB for review.  Told to expect 4 week process

February 2019 - Still waiting.

I was hired 22 months ago, and I still haven't been sworn in.  I've had to complete 4 DD368's because they keep expiring, I've now had 4 different recruiters, and any progress made has been because I've gone around my recruiters to get things done.  I emailed Army HRC after weeks of my recruiter telling me, "We're working on it," and got my DD368 within 4 hours.  After being told there was no way to move my FC1 date from Nov 26 to any time earlier, I emailed the folks at WPAFB and got it moved to Sep 22.  After being told the results of the FC1 would be complete after 30-45 days, and on day 46, the recruiter says, "just keep waiting," so I email the folks at WPAFB and get the results sent to the SQ OPS within 2 hours.  After my travel to and from WPAFB, I'm told that I won't be reimbursed for my travel or lodging after driving my POV to OH, because I didn't use the right channels to reschedule the appointment.  I was told my ETP waiver would be complete in 4 weeks from submission, but it's now been 8, and the recruiter says, "just keep waiting."  

At this point, I don't really care how something gets done, I just want it done.  Can someone please give me some advice? Or the email / phone number for whoever approves ETP memos at NGB? Am I just in a super bad situation?  I have a really hard time accepting that this is normal.  Especially after looking at so many profiles with so many other hires that have dealt with similar situations in shorter periods of time.

@ackc My ARB package is sitting at NGB/A3OS. I think ETP/waivers for age and officer time take the same route. Submitted 3 weeks ago when I was told the turn around time should be about two. I have been global stalking ppl in hopes of finding the right person that can tell me where its at and how much longer it will take. The recruiter keeps telling me the same thing "we are working on it". By that he probably means he checks his email daily for an update, but that's probably it. I would recommend sharing your frustration with your squadron CC if you haven't already. 

See the attached flow chart depicting package flow from unit to NGB. Like I said, I have been literally googling NGB/A3OS... whatever name comes up, I use the global to see if they are associated with NGB/A3OS... I've sent about 20-30 emails so far with no respond. Probably because I am contacting the wrong people. Anyway, I am not at the 22 month mark yet but it seems like the only way to get things done is to contact someone else outside of recruiting who is willing to help.

I went to WP on my own time and dime thinking it would speed up the process but it hasn't. The FC1 is only a small part of the process, and from what I understand, its not even required to submit for ETPs or to the ARB. If anyone in here could share a contact at NGB, that would be a great help for sure. Package process flow chart.pdf