Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

1 hour ago, Piper Nick said:

Congrats to anyone selected on the Nov 6-7 reserve board! I found out on Nov 28. Anyone know how long it usually takes between reserve board selection to finding out dates for OTS? My unit says I have to discuss these details with the recruiter who will arrange with the 340th FTS. He was a bit slow on the process up to now and I want to make sure he isn't neglecting something that needs to be done. Thanks

You unsponsored? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, TX dude said:

First time poster but I've been lurking for a while.

Just got picked up as an off the street UPT hire for a Reserve squadron. Here's my timeline thus far:

AFOQT/TBAS: January 2018

MEPS: March 2018

2nd time to MEPS: April 2018 (MEPS wanted me to come back because they said I needed a consultation, so I woke up early again, showed up, and they told me my consultation was cancelled and I needed a waiver for a surgery I had when I was 6 months old....)

Submitted Waiver: April 2018 (heard back in May 2018 that the SG wouldn't grant the waiver unless I completed my IFC1 at Wright-Patt)

Sent my stuff to Wright-Patt: May 2018

IFC1 scheduled: June 2018

IFC1/MFS: August 6-9 2018 (still waiting on final approval, but no one told me I had anything wrong and I only did each test once and passed each one, so I'm betting that I'm good to go. any words of assurance are appreciated haha...I know it's not official until it's official.)

Hired by squadron: September 9, 2018

I'm hoping to make the November AFRC board then get OTS and UPT dates soon after that. It's been a long process but I'm pumped to get in the air!

update:

Package sent to November AFRC board: November 2018

Squadron notified me of board selection: December 1, 2018. 

My recruiter as of last week had not been notified about board selections yet, so now I'm just waiting on dates for indoctrination, OTS, UPT. Can you receive your dates before swearing in? and how do most people receive their class dates (in an email, from squadron/recruiter) ?

Huge congrats on your selection, TX!!! You and I are on a similar timeline. I was notified by the squadron and I contacted my recruiter with the news. He had me start and send a credit report and I exhaustingly completed the security clearance application and sent it. I’m hoping to swear in this week. I think you have to be fully gained by the 340th before you get dates, and I believe that is initiated by your recruiting office when they send your package (not entirely sure what that entails) to them.  

@TX dude, you likely won't get your official training dates until Inprocessing, which is usually a couple weeks before you're headed to OTS. I'm headed to Inpro next week/projected for Jan OTS and still have yet to hear anything about future training dates. I know a couple others going with me to Inpro that have gotten tentative UPT dates and base assignments, as well as a couple that can't get any info and don't know anything more. So, it seems like nothing is in stone until you are sitting down with the orders person at Inpro.

I'm totally guessing, but you and @ssup's next possible OTS classes are the March/early April TFOT dates. If you're on track for those, it means you'll likely get gained by the 340th in late-Jan or Feb sometime with a week trip to Randolph for Inpro probably being in early-mid March, unless those OTS classes are full and you're delayed to the next ones. 

Totally extrapolating on all of that based off of my experience, though, and YMMV.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 8:07 AM, Piper Nick said:

This is where I sit as a prospective reservist:

AFOQT November 2013 (attempted to go active duty)
Interview: February 10, 2018 hired within 1 week
MEPS: June 6, 2018
FC1: September 3-8, 2018
Board: November 14, 2018
OTS/UPT Dates ???

An age waiver got approved sometime in there... Will update once I know more.

Latest and greatest:

AFOQT November 2013 (attempted to go active duty)
Interview: February 10, 2018 hired within 1 week
MEPS: June 6, 2018
FC1: September 3-8, 2018
Board: November 14, 2018
OTS Date: Randolph inprocessing March 8-13, 2019 and OTS either March 27 or April 1 2019
UPT: TBD

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 02 Dec 2017:   Interview
  • 03 Dec 2017:  Hired
  • 06 May 2018:  DD Form 368 signed by State J1 in April and submitted to NGB
  • 24 July 2018:  Transfer Packet kicked back from NGB for wording and resubmitted
  • 06-07 Aug 2018:  Flight Physical Completed
  • 10-14 Sep 2018:  Flight Physical Results returned week of
    • I was also informed that NGB changed their accessions process to require ETPs to be completed and approved before swearing in.....fortunately I already had my flight physical done so I could push that up as soon as the policy dropped.
    • Transfer packet at NGB paused
    • New policy came with change in ETP checklist and shortened timeline (approx 30 days)
  • 21 Sep 2018:  ETP pushed up
  • 25 Oct 2018:  Age Waiver Approved at NGB (34 day turn around)
  • 19 Nov 2018: I was notified that the squadron needed to initiate a TS Clearance before I could swear in. The unit security manager sent me a link to fill out the SF86 digitally. After that it went up to OPM to begin the investigation process. Once the investigation was "open" and reflected that status is JPAS, the unit could send a specific memo to NGB to let me swear in
  • 14 Dec 2018: TS Investigation opens and memo sent to NGB
  • 17 Dec 2018: NGB sends the temporary Fed Rec that allows me to swear in
  • 28 Dec 2018: Fini Flight in the Blackhawk, and swear in with the my new ANG squadron. Separation orders are cut by the Army Guard to release me
  • 5/6 Jan 2019: First official drill weekend with squadron, gaining process begins, and I begin working on my ARB packet

More to follow

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:
  • 24 July 2018:  Transfer Packet kicked back from NGB for wording and resubmitted
    • I was also informed that NGB changed their accessions process to require ETPs to be completed and approved before swearing in.....fortunately I already had my flight physical done so I could push that up as soon as the policy dropped.
    • New policy came with change in ETP checklist and shortened timeline (approx 30 days)
  • 19 Nov 2018: I was notified that the squadron needed to initiate a TS Clearance before I could swear in. The unit security manager sent me a link to fill out the SF86 digitally. After that it went up to OPM to begin the investigation process. Once the investigation was "open" and reflected that status is JPAS, the unit could send a specific memo to NGB to let me swear in
  • 28 Dec 2018: Fini Flight in the Blackhawk, and swear in with the my new ANG squadron. Separation orders are cut by the Army Guard to release me
  • 5/6 Jan 2019: First official drill weekend with squadron, gaining process begins, and I begin working on my ARB packet

More to follow

Congrats glad it finally happened 

Hey all,

I was selected for UPT by a Guard unit and was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on where my timeline will go from here, how long to expect in between. Some background, I'm currently in the Naval Reserve with my DD-368 being processed. Fwiw I took the AFOQT back in 2014 as well, retook it last summer.

Sept 6 '18-  AFOQT

Nov 2 '18 - Interview

Nov 6 '18 - Hired

Dec 11 '18 - DD368 Submitted to Program Office

Jan 8 '19 - DD368 arked for approval by program office - off to NAVPERS for approval.

Jan 8 '19 - Sent requested information to FC1 coordinator (excluded social, said to call me since I didn't want to just email this - Have not heard back from coordinator yet).

What sort of timeline should I expect from here? I need the FC1 before I can get any training dates, correct? I did not finish my PPL so I also need to go to IFS before UPT. 

Thanks everyone.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, JustHangingOut said:

More to follow

@JustHangingOut were you an officer in the Army Guard or enlisted? Were you in an aviation MOS?

Edited by SlappinUTE

9 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

Yes, Rated officer flying blackhawks

@JustHangingOut Congrats on getting picked up. I am an officer in the Army Guard in a non aviation MOS. I just started persuing a UPT slot in the air guard in the last couple months so its great to see that it can absolutely be done.

Edited by SlappinUTE

9 minutes ago, SlappinUTE said:

@JustHangingOut Congrats on getting picked up. I am an officer in the Army Guard in a non aviation MOS. I just started persuing a UPT slot in the air guard in the last couple months so its great to see that it can absolutely be done.

For sure man. I’m not the first by a long shot. If you ever have questions, feel free to PM me and we can chat offline in a bit more detail.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, Insert name said:

Hey all,

I was selected for UPT by a Guard unit and was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on where my timeline will go from here, how long to expect in between. Some background, I'm currently in the Naval Reserve with my DD-368 being processed. Fwiw I took the AFOQT back in 2014 as well, retook it last summer.

Sept 6 '18-  AFOQT

Nov 2 '18 - Interview

Nov 6 '18 - Hired

Dec 11 '18 - DD368 Submitted to Program Office

Jan 8 '19 - DD368 arked for approval by program office - off to NAVPERS for approval.

Jan 8 '19 - Sent requested information to FC1 coordinator (excluded social, said to call me since I didn't want to just email this - Have not heard back from coordinator yet).

What sort of timeline should I expect from here? I need the FC1 before I can get any training dates, correct? I did not finish my PPL so I also need to go to IFS before UPT. 

Thanks everyone.

Refer to my timeline

The coordinators at W-Patt are great folks. They are somewhat busy, specially Monday thru Wednesday which is when they are processing FC1 candidates. I would recommend contacting them hard on Thursdays or Friday. Don't wait for a phone call. I also have the contact info for the program manager if you would like to PM me. When you get chance, read the FC1 forum on this site. Lots of good info and accurate check in instructions. It was super beneficial for me when I went thru. I am sure lots of non Air Force bros here would agree.

As far as dates go, I believe you have to swear into your unit prior to requesting school dates. If you aren't in need of waivers for age or commission the flow should be smooth. Push the navy folks to release the DD368 ASAP. It was the hold up for me after getting hired and the ANG could not move forward with any of my packages.

I have heard of folks having to wait over a year after they got hired before receiving school dates. For those in that situation, our best hope is for a shortfall to jump on.

Good luck with everything and congrats on getting hired.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, dotonfire said:

@Insert name, NAVPERS also gave me some serious push back on my DD-368 and in fact disapproved it the first time, which set me back months. There are guys on the airwarriors reserve forum who can probably help you out if you're having trouble.

Hey man, I'm pretty sure I know who this is. You haven't been texting me back lately ;).

If not...then disregard. My buddy had a lot of trouble getting his DD368 through our Command, didn't even reach NAVPERS the first time so I may be taking a big jump here.

9 minutes ago, Insert name said:

Hey man, I'm pretty sure I know who this is. You haven't been texting me back lately ;).

If not...then disregard. My buddy had a lot of trouble getting his DD368 through our Command, didn't even reach NAVPERS the first time so I may be taking a big jump here.

Funny enough I'm probably not the exact person you're thinking of, but we might have talked about this on a different website.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, JustHangingOut said:
  •  14 Dec 2018: TS Investigation opens and memo sent to NGB

More to follow

Interesting. My process so far has been medical, then ARB, then IST packet proper. Currently waiting on the ARB. I'll be helo only, already rated and prior commissioned. Haven't heard about the TS issue, but I'll query my recruiter. I'm about 3 months in. Supposed to be another 3-5 months.