interview/hire - April 2017

packet forwarded for approval - May 2017

medical DQ from previous military injury - August 2017

waiver granted - October 2017

MEPs -October 2017

final waiver granted - November 2017

DD 368 (release from Army to AF) approved - 30 January 2018

Appointment packet sent to State/NGB - 1 February 2018

I’m almost 1 year out from date of hire without swearing in, nor do I have any other dates or FC1 appointments scheduled. Obviously fighting the delay/waiver took a big chunk of time. How long should I expect it to take to be sworn back in/ reappointed?

Welcome to the blue side of the house. Are you now ANG or AFRES? From what I've seen in the ANG is your first drill weekend, or when you show up for in-processing thats normally where guys are sworn in. I cant speak to the AFRES side. 

Has anyone seen much movement in the Age waiver side of the house? Timeline is roughly;

March 2017- FC1

FC1 Approved- May 2017 (Had an issue that they had to retest for and resubmit after a month)

Package submitted- June 2017

HQ Approved- October 2017

Still sitting at NGB for Age and TFSC Waiver approval. 

2 hours ago, ackc said:

I’m a prior Army Officer (non rated) 28.5 yrs 

interview/hire - April 2017

packet forwarded for approval - May 2017

medical DQ from previous military injury - August 2017

waiver granted - October 2017

MEPs -October 2017

final waiver granted - November 2017

DD 368 (release from Army to AF) approved - 30 January 2018

Appointment packet sent to State/NGB - 1 February 2018

I’m almost 1 year out from date of hire without swearing in, nor do I have any other dates or FC1 appointments scheduled. Obviously fighting the delay/waiver took a big chunk of time. How long should I expect it to take to be sworn back in/ reappointed?

In a similar boat with the USAFR. Waiting on board results which sould be coming out here soon. Have spoken extensively with my BDE Commander about this decision, and he's endorsing, but I haven't submitted my UQR or asked branch for the 368. Who did you talk to at HRC about it? Looking to drop paperwork as soon as my packet hits the board. I'm either considering a ETSing fully and taking the break in service or trying to take a position in the IRR and then request the 368 from the IRR Branch. How did you work it? Thanks a ton!

5 hours ago, MountainHerc said:

Welcome to the blue side of the house. Are you now ANG or AFRES? From what I've seen in the ANG is your first drill weekend, or when you show up for in-processing thats normally where guys are sworn in. I cant speak to the AFRES side. 

Thanks!

I was hired on by the guard, but no, I haven’t been sworn in yet. My recruiter told me that as soon as we get my appointment letter back from NGB he can set up my swear in. I’m just waiting for that to happen so I can get dates for everything else. I’m just in limbo for the time being.

8 minutes ago, ackc said:

Thanks!

I was hired on by the guard, but no, I haven’t been sworn in yet. My recruiter told me that as soon as we get my appointment letter back from NGB he can set up my swear in. I’m just waiting for that to happen so I can get dates for everything else. I’m just in limbo for the time being.

keep us updated on that approval from NGB timeline if you could.  I will be in the almost exact situation as you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea on if you need to have your TS security clearance prior to receiving your training dates? Or is it only prior to showing up on UPT?

Not sure if this has been asked somewhere else, but can't find the information anywhere.

34 minutes ago, highflyer said:

Does anyone have an idea on if you need to have your TS security clearance prior to receiving your training dates? Or is it only prior to showing up on UPT?

Not sure if this has been asked somewhere else, but can't find the information anywhere.

It was explained to me that the TS just needs to be submitted and you’ll have to be in some Interim status while at UPT. Clearances are backed up and you probably won’t have a TS approved while at UPT, is what I was told.

2 hours ago, highflyer said:

Like others have said, I'm 99.69% sure it doesn't have to be complete before UPT. You should definitely get it done as soon as possible, though. I have already done my interview, and I think it took ~9 months from submission to when they started calling me about setting up a time/place to meet.

10 hours ago, highflyer said:

It's a requirement to fill out all the questions for form SF-86 before you even leave for OTS as it's usually on the outprocessing doc. You'll eventually be cleared 1-2 years later is what I've been hearing!

• Upvote 1

So seriously stupid question. I just got the nod on the last board results (So stoked about this opportunity, it's literally a life long dream), but I'm going to have transition from the Active Duty Army over to the Air Force Reserves. I'm completely lost as to if I separate completely and take a break in service (what my USAFR Recruiter is telling me to do) or to try and transfer into the Army IRR and facilitate a conditional release which may take additional time in the transition. Anyone got any idea at all? Feel like I'm trying to breath on mars here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guard, Non-Prior

-April 2017 Board/Hired Same day

-Meps June 2017

-FC1 August 2017 (DP waiver needed)

-Enlist to unit Oct 2017

-Package sent to HQ Nov 2017

-Approved by NGB today (late April 2018)

-June OTS 

-Oct 2017 hired by reserve unit. 

-Nov MEPS 

-Feb FC1

-Feb - Waivers for age/commissioned service signed by NAF/CC

-Mar AFRC board 

-Jan 2019 UPT

Caveat - AFRC apparently only has fighter slots at Sheppard...none at other UPT bases. AFRC had a May ENJPPT slot for a Jan board select and apparently no more ENJJPT slots until 2019. So I guess it depends when in the year you finish the AFRC board and what their T38 track availability is. Perhaps that varies year to year. 

• Upvote 1

I was recently hired at a Guard unit as a non-prior.  I'm going through the recruiting paperwork right now, and have my MEPS physical in a few days.  My recruiter has me taking the ASVAB, even though it is not required for officer candidates.  I explained to him that I already took the AFOQT. He explained that they're processing me as enlisted so that they can process my paperwork as an officer candidate (makes sense).  I'm just curious if anyone else had to take the ASVAB at MEPS? It just seems like wasted time on both ends, if it's not required.

Edited by cowdog

11 minutes ago, cowdog said:

I was recently hired at a Guard unit as a non-prior.  I'm going through the recruiting paperwork right now, and have my MEPS physical in a few days.  My recruiter has me taking the ASVAB, even though it is not required for officer candidates.  I explained to him that I already took the AFOQT. He explained that they're processing me as enlisted so that they can process my paperwork as an officer candidate (makes sense).  I'm just curious if anyone else had to take the ASVAB at MEPS? It just seems like wasted time on both ends, if it's not required.

Did not take it since already taken AFOQT. Perhaps ask him to double check since you're the one random UPT person that occurs once/twice a year and everything is different for us, especially as a non-prior

24 minutes ago, AlphaPapa said:

Did not take it since already taken AFOQT. Perhaps ask him to double check since you're the one random UPT person that occurs once/twice a year and everything is different for us, especially as a non-prior

And he could always pull the a**hole move of saying "can you show me the regulation for that?" :aviator:

Edited by JustHangingOut

11 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

And he could always pull the a**hole move of saying "can you show me the regulation for that?" :aviator:

This is true, OP could also say he spoke to other non-prior UPT selects and ask the recruiter to double check on that info since we haven't done it. OP could also contact MEPS if they really wanted to know OR ask one of the pilots what they think, casually bring it up like "oh did you have to take the ASVAB at MEPS? I thought the AFOQT had the same status as the ASVAB?" Sometimes acting like you don't know can really help in cases like this

Edited by AlphaPapa

Thanks for the responses! not trying to be a dick since theyre processing my paperwork (and a waiver). But I did try to prod deeper into the issue but the recruiters response was ‘This is what I was instructed to do from my supervisor’. So i was kind of stonewalled.

Edited by cowdog

4 minutes ago, AlphaPapa said:

This is true, OP could also say he spoke to other non-prior UPT selects and ask the recruiter to double check on that info since we haven't done it. OP could also contact MEPS if they really wanted to know OR ask one of the pilots what they think, casually bring it up like "oh did you have to take the ASVAB at MEPS? I thought the AFOQT had the same status as the ASVAB?" Sometimes acting like you don't know can really help in cases like this

Yeah man, certainly someone on this forum has a better understanding of AFI's and can help the OP dig up the answer

46 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Thanks for the responses! not trying to be a dick since theyre processing my paperwork (and a waiver). But I did try to prod deeper into the issue but the recruiters response was ‘This is what I was instructed to do from my supervisor’. So i was kind of stonewalled.

Damn man, sorry to hear that happened. Maybe at MEPS before the ASVAB starts just ask if you're supposed to be there or not? The night before you will have people in charge of you at the hotel and you can confirm if you have to take it or not. I'd bring the grades/official print out with you to MEPS for proof

ANGI36-2005

Chapter 2

2.8. Testing. Applicants enlisted for the sole purpose of appointment are not required to take the Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) as long as a qualifying Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) has been administered and qualifying scores received.

Don't take the F*ing ASVAB. Jesus, it infuriates me recruiters don't know this stuff when it's their job. It took me less than 60 GD seconds to bing that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

ANGI36-2005

Chapter 2

Don't take the F*ing ASVAB. Jesus, it infuriates me recruiters don't know this stuff when it's their job. It took me less than 60 GD seconds to bing that.

Preach on!! 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

7 hours ago, Sit On Acorns said:

ANGI36-2005

Chapter 2

You use bing?

264DD72C-6F6A-4703-B166-0A230515E018.jpeg

Edited by IMUA
  • Upvote 1