Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

On 2/7/2018 at 11:02 PM, gmahan3 said:

Nice! Which TFOT were you slated for? Also, do you know when did your packet made it to NGB?

I'm 18-05! And I was told it got sent out the first full week of January and I found out that same week my dates for TFOT. Then a couple days later got all my training dates for flying! 

The word is the Bureau is short-handed. Things are taking forever. It’s hard to get anything pushed thru unless you personally know someone up there in A1. I do not and it’s like a black hole when packets go there. Pipeliners’s packets seem to move a little faster than already rateds, which doesn’t really make sense. 

Hired at a Guard unit.  Prior Guard with a different unit

Interview - July 2017

Hired - July 2017

FC1/MFS - October 2017

Package sent to J1/HQ - December, 2017

Approved - January 2018

Package sent to NGB - January 2018

Approved - January 18 (same day.  Within hours by what I was told)

TFOT/MOTS/AMS (w.e it's called now) - April, 10, 2018

UPT - Laughlin,  August, 2018

Other dates - TBD post UPT

Cheers! and best of luck to everyone!

• Like 2

My unit is showing about a year from hire date to OTS right now... is this typical across the guard? Kind of frustrating my unit wont hire until you have your degree and then you have to wait a year doing nothing. Wish they'd go back to hiring 6 months out from graduation. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a year if I do apply to my unit... flight instructing isn't making any money right now and I live too far from base to work too many AT days. :/

My unit is showing about a year from hire date to OTS right now... is this typical across the guard? Kind of frustrating my unit wont hire until you have your degree and then you have to wait a year doing nothing. Wish they'd go back to hiring 6 months out from graduation. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a year if I do apply to my unit... flight instructing isn't making any money right now and I live too far from base to work too many AT days. :/

I’m 1.5 years from hire and still 6+ months out from OTS. I’d say 1.0-1.5 years from board to OTS is average.

1 hour ago, PilotPitts said:

I’m 1.5 years from hire and still 6+ months out from OTS. I’d say 1.0-1.5 years from board to OTS is average.

I was interviewed and hired in September 2017, I got my ots and upt dates in January and I'm non-prior. I think it really depends on your unit and how on top they are of things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My ANG timeline:

Hire - Sep 16

FC1/WP - Jan 17

Enlist - Feb 17

TFOT - Sep 17

UPT - Apr 18 (after a 6-week delay from T-6 ops pause)

I think this timeline is pretty typical for ANG. All of my bros who are applying, I tell them to be prepared for the wait. Have a source of income lined up

• Like 1

My packet was approved through NGB yesterday and was immediately informed that I will need an age waiver (I turn 30 in Jan19).  There are no slots for UPT for the rest of this year. So anyone going through this process, prepare yourself for the long wait. I now have to wait for the waiver process before I can even get dates and the FY19 slots haven't dropped yet so I will have no idea what they are until that happens. Good luck everyone.

At what point during this whole waiting process are people receiving their dates/locations for UPT? A better question, when will I be able to tell my wife which lovely city she will be getting to accommodate me to? Enid, Del Rio, or Columbus?

Edited by cerealsine

1 hour ago, cerealsine said:

At what point during this whole waiting process are people receiving their dates/locations for UPT? A better question, when will I be able to tell my wife which lovely city she will be getting to accommodate me to? Enid, Del Rio, or Columbus?

For Reserve, you'll get them at inprocessing with the 340th about a month before OTS. Some people got theirs earlier by calling and asking nicely, I didn't have any luck. They seem to be pretty good about getting you the UPT base you want if you have a legit reason.

16 minutes ago, cerealsine said:

Do they take your preferences for which base into account? I mean what would a "legit reason" to prefer a particular base be? Family nearby? Or what?

Depends highly on your training office. I told them what my preference was and got it but like anything else, they will take into account what you want and then put you where they need you to be. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, cerealsine said:

Do they take your preferences for which base into account? I mean what would a "legit reason" to prefer a particular base be? Family nearby? Or what?

I didn't even get the option to choose, one day got the dates with the spot, that was that!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, cerealsine said:

I asked for my base because I'm going unaccompanied, and Columbus would put me within driving distance of my spouse on the weekends. Others who asked for certain bases based on, for example, their parent having trained there back in the day, weren't so lucky.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, LowerJumper said:

My packet was approved through NGB yesterday and was immediately informed that I will need an age waiver (I turn 30 in Jan19).  There are no slots for UPT for the rest of this year. So anyone going through this process, prepare yourself for the long wait. I now have to wait for the waiver process before I can even get dates and the FY19 slots haven't dropped yet so I will have no idea what they are until that happens. Good luck everyone.

If there are no UPT slots left in 2018, could still start training earlier than Jan 2019, correct? For example, you could theoretically begin training in September 2018 with OTS (2 months) -> IFT (1 month, nov/dec)  -> UPT Jan 1, 2019? Or maybe go to SERE as well and start mid Feb?

17 hours ago, cerealsine said:

If there are no UPT slots left in 2018, could still start training earlier than Jan 2019, correct? For example, you could theoretically begin training in September 2018 with OTS (2 months) -> IFT (1 month, nov/dec)  -> UPT Jan 1, 2019? Or maybe go to SERE as well and start mid Feb?

That's what my unit is talking about with me...go to OTS and do SERE & water egress prior to UPT in 2019. I have my PPL so wouldn't be required to do IFT, but I wonder if they'll have me do it to fill time (I kinda hope not).

AFRES Timeline (prior commissioned officer with no IFS req)

Board: 09JAN, notified two ish weeks later

Put on the scroll same week.

FC1:  got an email 22JAN with dates for it, completed 07MAR

Dates:  got an email 09FEB with UPT dates 

ENJJPT Class 2019006 - 22MAY18-13JUN19

Future admin dates:  

03APR Gained by 340th

17-19APR TDY to Randolph for Inprocessing

Report to Sheppard NLT 08MAY

Anyone else going to Sheppard for these dates?  All future dates written in sand obviously.  I won’t believe it until I have orders in hand.

I’m a prior Army Officer (non rated) 28.5 yrs 

interview/hire - April 2017

packet forwarded for approval - May 2017

medical DQ from previous military injury - August 2017

waiver granted - October 2017

MEPs -October 2017

final waiver granted - November 2017

DD 368 (release from Army to AF) approved - 30 January 2018

Appointment packet sent to State/NGB - 1 February 2018

I’m almost 1 year out from date of hire without swearing in, nor do I have any other dates or FC1 appointments scheduled. Obviously fighting the delay/waiver took a big chunk of time. How long should I expect it to take to be sworn back in/ reappointed?