Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

On 10/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Vixty said:

By looking at past posts its hard to tell what my timeline will look like. I'm currently AD enlisted crossing over to the guard.  The recruiter/unit has never delt with this situation before so hopefully there won't be any major bumps in the road. If anyone has completed this process in the past some insight would be appreciated. No one can tell me what I should expect since this is a first for them. I've completed my FC1 here at my current base but I still have to eventually complete the MFS.  

Sep 2016: Interview/Hired

On 10/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Vixty said:

Update after being away for a while.

Palace chasing from active duty as enlisted to the guard as a pilot hire seems to be a rare thing so I'm going to share my journey.

Sep 2016: Interviewed/hired

Sep 2016: Completed FC1 prior to leaving active duty which was completed only because of my age and its requirement to apply for an active duty position.

May 2017 Requested palace chase to guard unit (had to wait so long due to a deployment and flight medical messing up my FC1)

May 2017: Palace chase approval with ETS July 14 2017.  (My enlistment would have been up DEC 2017 so I was inside of the  6 month golden window.)

June 2017: Recruiter tried to submit my package to the guard for approval but was turned down until I had a DD214 in hand.

July 2017: Swore into guard and package was resubmitted.

Sep 2017: Hire approval (dates came a couple weeks later)

Dec 2017: Passed MFS

Jan 9 2018: TFOT

May 16 2018: Columbus UPT - "My choice" (But was rescheduled due to me turning 30 on May 5 and the unit not wanting to do a waiver)

Apr 16ish 2018: UPT Vance AFB

It was tough trying to figure out what to do coming from active duty as enlisted because it deosn't happen often.  The recruiter I was working with didn't really know the process either so we learned at the same time.  I would have gotten off active duty sooner if my leadership didn't stick me with a last minute deployment that I was promised I would never have to go on because of what I was trying to do.  But in the end it has all worked out. 

Any guard/reserve DOT guys here notice the NGB A3 timeline to full up is now showing about 5.5 years from start? I think it was closer to 3 years total when I was hired over two years ago. If I had to guess why so long I'd venture that significant b-course delays are the issue. Curious what the timeline is for the active duty component.

Now back to your regular programming...

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, bluesidedown said:

Dates are in finally!

Guard Prior:

Interview/Hire: June 2017

Swore In: August 2017

FC1: October 2017 

NGB Package Approved: January 2018

TFOT: January 2018

SERE/Water Survival: April 2018

UPT (ENJJPT): July 2018

Best of luck to everyone!

That’s insanely fast! When was your package sent to NGB?

• 2 weeks later...
Guard, Non-Prior:

Interview/Hired: August 2016

MEPS: June 2017

Swore In: July 2017

FC1: September 2017 

FC1 Approved: November 2017

State Package Approved: December 2017

NGB Package Approved: January 2018

TFOT: March 2018

IFT: Exempt

UPT: Columbus, 23 July 2018

Edited by cagg011

13 hours ago, cerealsine said:

Just got hired 9 Jan 2018. My recruiter told me that guys are having to wait up to 4 months just to schedule their FC1? Whats the holdup in scheduling that?

The pipeline is full. My wait from hire to FC1 is exactly 4 months.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, cerealsine said:

Did you get your FC1 scheduled four months after hire? I was told it would take four months to schedule, and then it is scheduled another 4-6 weeks out. 

You should be able to schedule the FC1 as soon as you swear in to your unit. That's how my situation worked.

24 minutes ago, cerealsine said:

Did you get your FC1 scheduled four months after hire? I was told it would take four months to schedule, and then it is scheduled another 4-6 weeks out. 

My FC1 was scheduled 2 months after swearing in and the wait was 2 months...4 months total. I had already been to MEPS prior to swearing in.

In theory you should be able to schedule your FC1 as soon as you swear in, but that's not the reality in most cases.

Edited by GDAL

On 2/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, gmahan3 said:

Squadron Interview : 26 May 17

Selection Confirmation: 31 May 17

MEPS: 26 July 17 

Enlistment: 28 July 17 

FC1: 4 December 17 

Complete Packet to NGB: 30 January 18

I’m IFS exempt. Just waiting on TFOT and UPT dates.

Ive heard differing information on what makes someone exempt from IFS. Is it simply having your PPL?

For Reserves, the squadron in charge of the training pipeline told me it was having earned your PPL within the past three years (i.e. presumably if I had earned mine five years ago and not flown significantly since I'd have to go to IFT).

On 2/2/2018 at 2:48 PM, sforron said:

For Reserves, the squadron in charge of the training pipeline told me it was having earned your PPL within the past three years (i.e. presumably if I had earned mine five years ago and not flown significantly since I'd have to go to IFT).

I have only earned my PPL (in 2010) and was IFT exempt. However, I remained current.

35 minutes ago, gmahan3 said:

I'm non prior and have no waivers. What's been the rough time frame once NGB gets your packet until you learn about TFOT dates? 

I found out in less than a month, but I'm also age critical (28.5). Take it for what it's worth.

3 hours ago, gmahan3 said:

I'm non prior and have no waivers. What's been the rough time frame once NGB gets your packet until you learn about TFOT dates? 

Also non prior/no waivers, I got hired in September 2017, found out about OTS (TFOT) first week of January!

On 2/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, AlphaPapa said:

Also non prior/no waivers, I got hired in September 2017, found out about OTS (TFOT) first week of January!

Nice! Which TFOT were you slated for? Also, do you know when did your packet made it to NGB?

Edited by gmahan3