Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Guest SuiSideburns

How long did it take for you to be officially hired? I only ask because I was told that I would have to undergo a commissioning physical at my unit (Andrews AFB) and other batteries of paperwork before I would be officially sworn in. Is this similar to what you went through?

I was already enlisted in the unit. I had completed a commissioning physical at MEPs in May, for a different unit. I was hired in late June, and my hiring approval came back from the National Guard Bureau October 7th (with no dates, just the approval for commissioning)

I was already enlisted in the unit. I had completed a commissioning physical at MEPs in May, for a different unit. I was hired in late June, and my hiring approval came back from the National Guard Bureau October 7th (with no dates, just the approval for commissioning)

Of course knowing that every unit is different and that the NGB moves at a dynamic pace, would you say it was 3-4 months before you were actually proof-positive that you were going to ANGOTS & UPT?

• 4 weeks later...

When was your package submitted to the NGB for the commissioning process?

Stupid question, but is it possible to go to Brooks while you're waiting for the approval?

When was your package submitted to the NGB for the commissioning process?

Stupid question, but is it possible to go to Brooks while you're waiting for the approval?

I think my application was sent in early August. I went to brooks July 26th, so yes, you can go while you're waiting. The NGB approval and Brooks are separate, as an example I got my NGB acceptance before my RS waiver cleared brooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...looking at these timelines gets me more and more depressed. I got hired in August 2010, and my package is just now headed to state HQ before getting sent off to Mother Guard. I'm already commissioned, so AMS is no factor. Should save a little bit of time. Sometimes I think that my paperwork is lost under a half-eaten box of Krispy Kremes and a coffee-stained Sports Illustrated...

• 7 months later...

Damn...looking at these timelines gets me more and more depressed. I got hired in August 2010, and my package is just now headed to state HQ before getting sent off to Mother Guard. I'm already commissioned, so AMS is no factor. Should save a little bit of time. Sometimes I think that my paperwork is lost under a half-eaten box of Krispy Kremes and a coffee-stained Sports Illustrated...

And FINALLY have some dates here, with a completed medical.

August 2010 - Hired

February 2011 - Transferred from USNR to ANG

May 2011 - FC-1 @ WPAFB

September 2011 - IFS

November 2011 - UPT

• 4 months later...

Hired August 2010

Wing Board Nov 2010

FC1/MFS March 2011

AFRC Board June 2011

OTS BOT Jan 2012

IFS April 2012

UPT Laughin Jun 2012

Long process but will be well worth it. This is a timeline for the Air Force Reserve.

• 5 months later...

Guard, Non-prior

Turned in Packet – DEC 2009

Interview and Selected – SEPT 2010

Brooks – NOV 2010

Got Class Dates - FEB 2011

AMS – MAR 2011

Water – JUN 2011

IFS – JUL 2011

SERE – SEP 2011

UPT – OCT 2011

Guard, prior enlisted

Interviewed - Jun 2009

Selected Alternate - Jul 2009

Primary DQ'd, given slot - Nov 2010

FCI Wright Patt - Apr 2011

RS Waiver apprv'd - Jun 2011

AMS - Sep 2011

SERE - Jan 2012

IFS - Feb 2012

Water Survival - Apr 2012

UPT - May 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Guard, prior enlisted

Interviewed - Jun 2009

Selected Alternate - Jul 2009

Primary DQ'd, given slot - Nov 2010

FCI Wright Patt - Apr 2011

RS Waiver apprv'd - Jun 2011

AMS - Sep 2011

SERE - Jan 2012

IFS - Feb 2012

Water Survival - Apr 2012

UPT - May 2012

You're going to need an age waiver when you get to the B-course.

I'm kidding, but anybody reading this thread expect nothing faster than 1 year.

• 4 months later...

I've interviewed at two ANG units thus far: The first mailed the "no thanks" letter in about 3 weeks; the most recent unit told me during the interview that they planned to choose their candidate that day, but notifications wouldn't occur until several weeks later.

I was hoping that someone who's sat on the opposite (hiring) side of the table could speak to the process that occurs once a candidate is selected -- ie., is approval from NGB, AFPC, State HQ, etc etc needed before extending an offer?

I've interviewed at two ANG units thus far: The first mailed the "no thanks" letter in about 3 weeks; the most recent unit told me during the interview that they planned to choose their candidate that day, but notifications wouldn't occur until several weeks later.

I was hoping that someone who's sat on the opposite (hiring) side of the table could speak to the process that occurs once a candidate is selected -- ie., is approval from NGB, AFPC, State HQ, etc etc needed before extending an offer?

Have not sat on the other side of the table, but I received my offer the day after I interviewed (ANG). They said the same about choosing their selects at the end of the day, then they notified us (selects and non-selects) the very next day.

Just a data point...

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 1 month later...

Guard F-16 (don't have IFF and FTU dates yet)

Interviewed/Hired - April 2012

Sworn In - August 2012

FC1 - Nov 2012

AMS - Jan. 2013

IFS - April 2013

SERE - June 2013 (not 100% yet, but proposed date)

UPT - July 2013

UPT grad date - August 2014

Couple questions.. I'm trying to wrap my head around the ANG timeline/process. I've been sponsored and already have my FC1. I believe my packet was sent to the guard bureau sometime the beginning of this month. So, looking at your timeline has raised my questions..

-Can you or do you swear in before your packet goes through the guard bureau?

-At what point did your packet clear the guard bureau and how long did it take?

-When did you receive all your dates?

I'm aware these are essentially mute questions bc things will happen when they happen..But my patience and anticipation are reaching critical mass. So any input or feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Im the anxious type too and hated waiting.

I actually was sworn in before my package was sent into the Bureau.

I think it took about a month and a half for my packet to go through, it all depends on how fast they feel like moving. Sometimes it takes more, and sometimes it takes less.

I got all my dates in one shot when my package went through. That varies though, some people get them all at the same time, others get the FC1 dates before others, some get AMS but not UPT, everyone I have talked to has had a different experience. I guess its pretty rare to get all your dates at once though. Because usually they have to do some searching to put you in classes.

I've learned very quickly that while there might be a "standard" way of doing things in the AF, it never seems like it's done that way.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently received any training dates from the NGB? My package was sent to the NGB at the beginning of December. I'm assuming vacations during the holidays most likely delayed the process, which is expected for this time of the year. Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has received FY14 UPT dates. I've been told all ANG UPT slots for FY13 are gone (makes sense) and the NGB can't assign FY14 UPT slots yet because those UPT dates haven't been established.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

-Can you or do you swear in before your packet goes through the guard bureau?

Yes. In my case, I re-enlisted into my unit almost 8 months before there was any movement on my package.

-At what point did your packet clear the guard bureau and how long did it take?

I got my dates in June of 2012, and I re-enlisted in July 2011. So, 11 months or so to get AMS, UPT, etc dates.

-When did you receive all your dates?

See above.

But my patience and anticipation are reaching critical mass. So any input or feedback is much appreciated.

Then prepare yourself for many years of near-continuous frustration. The military is not a place where anything is done in a timely, nor sensible fashion.

My Dates:

Hired: July 2011

Dates Released: June 2012

AMS: Oct-Dec 2012

IFS: Feb-Mar 2013

UPT: June 2013-July 2014

Little Rock: TBD

Kirtland: TBD

SERE: TBD

Water Survival: TBD

Has anyone recently received any training dates...

Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has received FY14 UPT dates. I've been told all ANG UPT slots for FY13 are gone (makes sense) and the NGB can't assign FY14 UPT slots yet because those UPT dates haven't been established.

My package was submitted in September 2012 and I heard back in late November but they do not have UPT dates yet. March 2013 FC1 and AMS, July 2013 IFS. For the UPT request it says awaiting AETC release of FY-14 seats.