Stateside Snow Skiing

HerkFE

I UTFSF but came up empty. It seems I have read on here about some ski resorts that give free lift tickets to military. Could have been in the Ramstein thread but I was wondering if anyone knows of stateside resorts that hook up the military?

Edited by HerkFE

The 5 mountain resorts in Colorado offer mil discounts with an ID right at the window. They're probably still about $50-60, but that beats $110 or whatever they are now.

Thanks brabus, I guess I should have said "discounts" too, not just free. I'll take what I can get.

In Montana, Big Sky ($38) Moonlight Basin ($45) and Whitefish ($35) all offer discounts. They're all pretty good sized mountains. Big Sky and Moonlight combined is the largest area in North America and has some crazy intense runs. Whitefish is my favorite of the 3.

I'm in Texas, so nothing here. But I was just at Beale and I remember the outdoor rec guy said a couple places give deep discounts and free tickets (Squaw?). Give them a call 530-634-2054 is the number I think.

Guest skipro101

Im in Denver and if you want to do some backcountry PM me I'll take ya out. I'm up in the mountains 3-4 times a week.

I think most of the mountains in Lake Tahoe area offer discounts and Squaw valley offers free lift tickets with the exception of these blackout dates:

Blackout Dates include all Saturdays of the 09/10 season and December 27, 2009 through January 3, 2010, January 16-17, 2010 and February 13-14, 2010.

I think most of the mountains in Lake Tahoe area offer discounts...

Alpine Meadows and Homewood are also free for Military. Get your ticket at the "Special Tickets" window (I think that's what it's called) inside the lodge. Sundays are free for mil at Northstar and Sierra-at-Tahoe. Mt. Rose has discounted tickets, but you have to get the vouchers from MWR/ITT on base before you go. I hear Heavenly has discounts for mil, but I think you have to contact the ticket office beforehand.

Also, check this out if you need a place to stay on the North Shore: http://uscglaketahoeaframes.com/

I haven't used them myself, but they look like they're worth checking into.

Guest Alarm Red

Keystone and A-Basin offer a combined season pass for mil, $180 or so. Ski three days and make your money back over regular pricing.

As mentioned above, SQUAW VALLEY can't be beat for Tahoe skiing/boarding. The guy that started the place, Alex Cushing, died recently. He was ex-mil (Navy JAG in WWII) and started the free lift tickets for active duty deal. Lift tickets normally run $69-72. ALPINE MEADOWS is right next door - free there also. Homewood is another freebie and they have incredible views of the lake and mountains.

Figures Reno would have all the good deals. I'm trying to non-rev from ATL to somewhere to go skiing. Nothing direct to RNO from ATL. Man, I should have been an airline captain....fly free and bitch cause I can't get free lift tickets.

• 10 years later...

Solitude is my favorite skiing near SLC. A lot of my family lives in the area and I've been skiing on most of the resorts in the area.

Deer Valley is also really nice but super-expensive...my 8-year-old took a lesson there once. The lodge there is outstanding.

Park City is the biggest and very nice but I like the feeling of skiing in nature more than past people's houses. Lots of runs though.

Brighton might be a good option since kids ski free with paying adults.

I also like Snowbird but it's runs are more advanced so probably not the best option for kids.

Kinda hard to go wrong...Utah skiing is the best. Have fun!

Edited by nsplayr

Second powder...good skiing with the kids and good mil discount. It’s a bit of a drive though if you’re hard up on staying in SLC every night. Never skied Solitude, but looks like they’re about the same cost and closer to SLC. Looks nice on the drive past, not sure how it is for beginning kids. 

Solitude might not be the best for beginers. It does have a couple decent green runs, but most of it is ungroomed off-piste sking. Which means it's fantastic if you want to ski glades and steeps and powder. 

Powder Mt is massive and has a wide variety of terrain. The layout also allows for a mixed group to ride the same lift, ski different trails, and then meet back up at the same lift. However, book early since they have a ticket quota. It makes for zero lift lines and the slopes all to yourself. You can ski all day and never do the same run twice. 

If you're willing to drive a bit north, Sun Valley in Idaho has 50% off day lift tickets for military. 

Just got back from Park City this morning. There were tons of kids off on their own or with the instructors. Lots of green options with many blue and also blacks. There's ski resorts, or rentals down the way and a nice little main street for eating and shopping, if you're into that.

I was also just there during "peak week" so not sure what the crowds will look like during other times