Kicked out of AFROTC HELP!?

Guest AFTricker

Guest AFTricker

OK so I work my a$$ off this semester in AFROTC. Complete Arnold Air training. Seriously, I worked like crazy!!! AND THEN! I get this email below:...

"You are being dropped from our program due to receiving a “D“ in AS200 class. According to AFROTCI 36-2011, the regulation states that “cadets must receive a “C-“ or better in AS classes and LLAB. When the cadet receives a grade of “D” or “F” in AS class, the cadet must be dismissed from the program (non-contract cadets).”

I am NOT getting kicked out. I have no idea what to do. I had a B in the class before the final. The only reason I failed is because I got no sleep before the final and failed it. Anyone know what on earth I can do? Are there any waivers?????? I have no idea what to do. Please excuse me if I sound like I am going off. I am just really upset about this and need advise.

Edited by AFTricker

OK so I work my a$$ off this semester in AFROTC. Complete Arnold Air training. Seriously, I worked like crazy!!! AND THEN! I get this email below:...

"You are being dropped from our program due to receiving a “D“ in AS200 class. According to AFROTCI 36-2011, the regulation states that “cadets must receive a “C-“ or better in AS classes and LLAB. When the cadet receives a grade of “D” or “F” in AS class, the cadet must be dismissed from the program (non-contract cadets).”

I am NOT getting kicked out. I have no idea what to do. I had a B in the class before the final. The only reason I failed is because I got no sleep before the final and failed it. Anyone know what on earth I can do? Are there any waivers?????? I have no idea what to do. Please excuse me if I sound like I am going off. I am just really upset about this and need advise.

Shit happens. People get thrown from ROTC all the time. I would advise you to stay calm through this and take it slow.

The only thing you can do is see the cadre and CALMLY ask if their is any solutions. If their isn't, say thank you and leave. Making excuses will make you sound like a bitch who can't hack it in the real world. Own your mistake and say, if I stay this won't happen again. I messed up.

OTS is still a option for your future. Along with the other branches of the service who're also kicking ass...

Solid gold advice from Yerfer. I was fully expecting to see the standard "How the F*ck do you get a D in Aerospank class"

Nothing is ever quite as bad as it seems at first. Even if there aren't any immediate solutions to get you back into ROTC, like he said, there are many other good options which will open up to you once you get your degree.

Take this as a learning experience, no sleep before finals (or aircraft sorties) is not a good habit to be getting into. I'm guessing there is a way to get you reinstated. Even if they are required by regs to drop you for a semester or so. Good luck.

Edited by usaf36031

How the F*ck do you get a D in Aerospank class!?!

EDIT: Im sure it seems like the end of the world now, but realize there are maaannnyy other routes to go to get that pilot slot. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. At least now you won't have to deal with the :rainbow:

Edited by ȘÅİňŦ

You should talk to your instructor as well as your CO and COC. Don't sound like a whiny bitch though, because they will have no sympathy for you. Figure out how much you failed by, and ask if there is any extra credit, or other lame shit that you could do if you only failed by a point or two. No offense though, if you got a D and they didn't talk to you about it and sent you an email, sounds to me like they have made up their mind.

Whatever you do, don't give up! I was expelled from college after my first semester (long story), but I got re-admitted and made it through the program. Of the 150 cadets in my freshman AFROTC class, only 15 eventually graduated and only half of those on time (and I was one of them).

As advised, professionally discuss the situation with your instructor and/or cadre. Admit to your mistake, and if you get an answer you don't like then just accept it. You still have options, but once a decision is made this fight is over. Find another way and go for it!

Guest AFTricker

Hey thank you everyone. I seriously thought that I was going to get a bunch of

"How the F*ck do you get a D in Aerospank class!?!"

There is some good advice here I will be taking.

You call your instructor the morning of the test and tell him you feel like you have the bird/swine/cow/owl flu, you take the test the next day. Too late for you, but always pre-load your reasons for not doing well, afterwords is just too late.

Hey thank you everyone. I seriously thought that I was going to get a bunch of

"How the F*ck do you get a D in Aerospank class!?!"

There is some good advice here I will be taking.

Pardon me if I deviate from the party line a little, but if you had a "B" going into the final , then "How the F*ck do you get a D in Aerospank class!?!"

That really is a valid question that you ought to think about a little before you talk to the Cadre. That's a huge drop, even if you scored poorly on the test. I'd want to have a good handle on what I did wrong when I went to case. Simply a lack of sleep isn't a very good answer. What did that lack of sleep cause you to do? Did you mis-mark the answer sheet, did you mis-read some instructions? I'd try to have some sort of an answer ready that demonstrates to them that it wasn't because you didn't know the material. Just a thought...

Guest AFTricker

You call your instructor the morning of the test and tell him you feel like you have the bird/swine/cow/owl flu, you take the test the next day. Too late for you, but always pre-load your reasons for not doing well, afterwords is just too late.

Good point, but I did have the swine flu the two weeks before the final. No joke and was still recovering that week.

I'd want to have a good handle on what I did wrong when I went to case. Simply a lack of sleep isn't a very good answer. What did that lack of sleep cause you to do? Did you mis-mark the answer sheet, did you mis-read some instructions? I'd try to have some sort of an answer ready that demonstrates to them that it wasn't because you didn't know the material. Just a thought...

Thanks, I will have to think about this.

Having a B and going to a D is purely indicative of not knowing the material. Don't bullshit them about not sleeping, feeling sick, blah blah. Those are a bunch of BS excuses. The truth is maybe you have other distractions in your life right now and you didn't prioritize studying like you should have. You've learned a valuable lesson about prioritization and this won't happen again (hopefully). Beyond that statement, you really have nothing else to stand on. Like others have said, discuss professionally, but don't hurt your case by trying to make lame excuses. If it doesn't work out, there's other options...don't give up.

If I had a nickel for everytime I didn't get a pilot slot thru AFROTC but still ended up with wings on my chest, I'd have a nickel. You know what they say, if one door closes, find the next door and break it off the fucking hinges.

Seems like the end of the world now, but there are other ways. Quit making D's in easy courses, it will only make your road to the cockpit that much harder, trust me.

If the ruling stands, start working on plan B. The begining of plan B should be no more D's in easy courses!

Guest TheBurt

I have that same nickel.

Edited for: Oh, yeah, How the frig do you get a D in AS 200?

Edited by TheBurt

Shouldn't it be almost mathematically impossible for a B to become a D from failing a final? Find out what your grade was, and how it's weighted. I think the final would have to be weighted 2X as much for that to happen.

ie, B + B + B + F = C

Unless you got all 80's and less than a 48 on the final.

Edited by Banken

• 2 weeks later...

I too am perplexed as to how someone earns a D in the AS200 class. I have been out for over a year and could pass that test.

There are options to get back in. Go in and talk to your Instructor or COC, there is a chance you will need to take a semester off and then get back in. The email sounds like they have already made up their minds. If you get the door shut on you, finish school, keep getting laid, then apply for OTS as many here have done. You can also look into the Army, they are always hiring. The AF seems to be over-staffed again and if you screw up you're gone.

Good Luck and go find that second door that has opened.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AFTricker

Well I just had a meeting with the COC... I explained everything to him how I had the swine flu, and how hard I worked. He is very by the book and told me that if he were to let me stay in, he would be violating the rules. It makes sense. I was also told that I could submit an MFR explaining why I should be able to remain in AFROTC which he would look over. He also said he highly doubts it will do anything to keep me in. I will still write one just in case I still have that 1% chance. There is always a chance!....at least I wont have to wake up at 0230 twice a week while in school....

Thank you to that last comment. I like how you said find the next door that has opened. This is a very good forum...

I guess OTS is my next option. Just how hard is it to get into OTS? My major is Electrical Engineering. My GPA was good the first year of college. The last two semesters were not too good because of ROTC. Last I checked my GPA was about a 3.4. I do see that my grades will improve. Any good advise that can be given to me. I do not know much at all about OTS. Also, can you get an assignment from OTS to earn your masters degree such as getting sent to the AFIT?

Thanks in advance

Edited by AFTricker

The BaseOps community tend to eat the young around here but with a thick skin you'll find a ton of good info.

At the top of the ROTC/OTS page is a thread about OTS, start reading. Also, sharpen that Google-Fu and go find this: Air Force OTS forum.

The info is out there, just go find it and make use of the search function here. BaseOps is one of if not the best resource on the web for OTS info.

I looked into OTS, have since changed my mind, but keep your GPA up to be competitive and stay in very good shape. Extra- curricular activities or a job while in school will help as well. Have a back up plan ready. Look into the Army ROTC program and the Army Aviation side of the house. They are still handing out scholarships like candy on Halloween.

Good luck to you.

Edited by M2
Fixed your f'd up link...

How the fuck do you get a D in Aerospank class?

It's probably a blessing in disguise - now you get to be a normal college kid (except for the EE thing). Enjoy it. If I had to do it over, OTS is the way I would've gone. That, or maybe the two year program.

If I had a nickel for everytime I didn't get a pilot slot thru AFROTC but still ended up with wings on my chest, I'd have a nickel.

I have a dime. Suckas! OTS was my third and final hope...glad it worked out.

P.S. AS200 was like the only "A" I had that semester!

I have a dime. Suckas! OTS was my third and final hope...glad it worked out.

P.S. AS200 was like the only "A" I had that semester!

AS classes were the only A's I had in 4.5+ years of college. Yes, I'm bragging.

AS classes were the only A's I had in 4.5+ years of college. Yes, I'm bragging.

I hear that man. In my last quarter before commissioning AS class was the only class I didn't get a 'D' in. I commissioned with a 1.2 GPA in my last quarter. :P

I hear that man. In my last quarter before commissioning AS class was the only class I didn't get a 'D' in. I commissioned with a 1.2 GPA in my last quarter. :P

Wow...this gives me a great deal of confidence in the kind of leadership we have going into our military.

• Downvote 1

Wow...this gives me a great deal of confidence in the kind of leadership we have going into our military.

No kidding. We all know how the ability to lead is highly dependent on a good college GPA.

• Upvote 1