Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Larry's Barber Shop outside the front gate is good. 30+ years, still uses the straight razor on the back of the neck.

Make a right out the front gate, about a 1/4 mile down on the right. Turn right on Swift Drive (there's a sign for Larry's), and it's about 200yds up on the right. Can't miss it.

I used to go to a place over on W Main Street. Hot young blond chick there did a good job with the standard military haircut and it was fairly cheap if I recall. And she was hot. Out the front gate, right on Marshall, left onto W Main Street and under 167, left into crestview plaza. Place will be on your left. Can't remember her name.

TJ's barbershop in Jacksonville. It's in that little "triangle" between the east- and west-running road leading to 67/167. Right next to the recruiting station. Great haircut/straight razor shave. And, he's a former Army "Tomb" Guard.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jetjocky

I hope this is the appropriate place for this question:

I am at Columbus right now and my unit is wanting me to PCS to Nevada (my home unit) and then go TDY to LRAFB from there. I want my family (wife and three kiddos) to accompany me at LRAFB but I am unsure the best way to go about it based on the many factors. So is it better to find a house off base or is it better to live on base money wise.

Does any one have good info on exactly what at TDY enroute is or where I kind find Info on it? Since my unit is PCS me to Nevada, my home unit (where I do not even live) and then sending me TDY to the Rock, wouldn't it be better to just do a TDY enroute? From what I found a TDY enroute they will pay to move 800lbs to litte rock, but what do they do with the remaining house hold goods that we have? Do they pay to get them moved too or is that out of my pocket?

Question for guys at the rock:

I start next week and will have the wife with me as well as the dog. I'm are looking for a place that allows both. I know most say "try the links" but they don't allow dogs over 15lbs (ours is 30lbs). Also, because I'm going overseas, I need a place that is furnished since all of my stuff will be gone. Does anyone have any recommendations for this sort of situation? If anyone knows someone in one of the SQs that has a house for rent (I'm sure there are instructors that do), if you could send their info my way, I'd appreciate it.

Guest afabasketball

Give the housing office a call. They have furnished houses to rent. You may be on a waiting list, but it may be our best solution. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had any good experiences with an apartment complex in North LR/Sherwood that provides furnished 1-bedroom apartments (besides "The Links") for less than $900/month?

Cheaper:

I know a lot of people that live at Foothills apartments in Sherwood (new and older options). It's not furnished, but Dixie Rents Furniture is an option that you should look in to.

More expensive:

Downtown area apartments like Enclave, the first security bank building and others are furnished but are more expensive. It's about 20 mins from base, but they have sweet views of the city and within walking distance to the river market and downtown nightlife. It depends on whether your getting TDY or will be rooming with anyone else. Next time I'm TDY here, I might go this route.

post-1293-126479055643_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I live at the Enclave now until the end of J-school. My first time through LR, E-school, my family and I stayed on base in the privatized housing.

I wouldn't stay at the Enclave long term. The Enclave is nice, but not for long. The building is falling apart; it was poorly and quickly built. There are cracks developing in the foundations/floors, the pools are on the first floor - stalactites are forming in the parking garage underneath them.

The administration isn't efficient or responsive sometimes. Granted they are new and working out the administration wrinkles. I had to take my family to a motel for the weekend after the Enclave wouldn't let in Dixie Furniture Rents while I was still in Germany. The Enclave had my verbal permission for Dixie Rents to enter, but refused. Soon after the Enclave developed a written entry permission form.

The location is great, north of downtown across the river (10 min walk across a pedestrian-only bridge), next to the ballpark, riverfront running/biking trail, farmers market, Cregeen's Irish Bar...the list goes on.

The privatized base housing was great too. Though I had a different house than most PIQ/PXA guys. We stayed in a larger, free standing house off California Ave near the big base lake. My wife was to deliver shortly after we moved in and two grandmothers were staying with us. Several friends had smaller duplexes.

Overall both places are nice and have pros and cons. I expect to pay more out-of-pocket for the Enclave than base housing, about $1K, but knew that moving in. Power, water, trash, cable TV, internet, and phone aren't included at the Enclave, they were for me on base in 2007/08. The drive is much shorter on base and saved about an hour each day, not to mention morning front gate traffic. Though the base didn't have as many cultural attractions nearby as the Enclave does.

PM with any questions on either.

Oh, both accept pets and have referral bonuses.

• 2 months later...

I'm headed to Little Rock in July and am looking for current gouge on billeting (on base vs off base, current trends, etc...). I've searched through the site and the most recent info I could find was in the TDY section dating to July 07. Anyone have any good info?

I'm headed to Little Rock in July and am looking for current gouge on billeting (on base vs off base, current trends, etc...). I've searched through the site and the most recent info I could find was in the TDY section dating to July 07. Anyone have any good info?

Depends on what you're going there for. Just remember, if they give you a Non-A slip and ask you to return to billeting later on, you do not have to and you'll still get full per diem. I'd stay off-base, but the hotels nearby suck. I stayed at the Best Western and really didn't like it, but they did put in new toilets and flat screen tvs. Anyway, I've known quite a few guys stay downtown by the bars.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by polcat

Guest Gordo

I am currently on base in billeting as a single LT going through Pilot Initial Qual. What course are you doing? A lot of guys in my class live off base. The AF will reimburse you up to the rate of billeting which is $39 a day so if you can find a place cheaper than that you should be good to go. The on base billeting is OK, plus I can walk anywhere I have to go. I chose it mainly for convenience not creature comforts. Also you may check with the housing office on base and if you get a room mate you could live there too (now that its contracted the company just wants to make so money so they will put you in there if its available).

This thread is getting pretty long and probably has old/outdated/redundant info in it. If anybody familiar with LR wants to suggest posts for removal, PM me with post #s and I'll take them out.

• 1 month later...
Guest Touch & Go Rentals

After being stationed at Little Rock, I've converted my house for folks passing through Little Rock TDY, and I guarantee rates at your actual authorized lodging rate--I accommodate folks who receive non-availability letters or those who refuse government quarters.

I've tried to provide a pretty good service for folks looking for an alternative to billeting or for a place to have friends over--all utilities paid (and stay in my name), 4 bedrooms, fully furnished, weekly house keeping, in-ground swimming pool, two game rooms, HDTV with cable, no contracts, and I don't charge while you're on leave status. The house has two master suites, so I've even been able to accommodate spouses in the past.

The house is just a few miles from base, so certainly not ideal for those wanting to live on the Riverwalk in the heart of the Little Rock action, but for those who would rather be a little closer to base for those 5am show times or to other classmates for study sessions/hanging out, it could be a great option, along with the simplicity of furnishings and not activating/transferring utilities. I'm also offering a generous referral fee--$100 to the referrer for every 30 days someone stays in the house.

Let me know if I can serve you...

Edited by Touch & Go Rentals

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Touch & Go Rentals

I've recently heard Wild River Country (located on Crystal Hill road near intersection of I-430 and I-40) is letting active duty military in free.

Also, the Krispy Kreme in West Little Rock (on Shackleford Rd) gives 50% off to military

• 2 months later...

I found only one question and answer along these lines and it was kind of vague so I was hoping for a little more clarity. I'll be leaving for LR sometime at the end of the year, presumably after survival in November-early December. My question is in regards to taking leave to visit my girlfriend and/or family.

-I know the schoolhouse still operates on the weekends, but does this include federal holidays (MLK day, Washington's Bday, Memorial Day, etc)?

-What about Christmas and NYE, does training continue in the week between these holidays or is it like UPT where they just give you the entire week

off?

-And just in general over normal weekends, is it possible to request for a Friday off to allow for a three day weekend or is that pretty much

unheard of?

My gf has a great job here in Corpus and both agree that we don't want to pull her away from helping her own career out so we're just trying to figure out as best we can how to plan for the holiday season and beyond. any info would be great!

• 4 months later...
Guest maggie

Hi! We are moving to Little Rock to complete pilot training and would like to get some more information about the town, the base, & the overall community. We are currently stationed at NAS-CC and will be moving along with 3 other couples to Little Rock within the next few months. If there is already a feed with this information would you post us in the right direction? If not any information would help! We all have children under 2 and would be looking into spouse events, playgroups, bible studies and daily activities for stay at home mom's with toddlers. Also if anyone has any information about OB/GYN's that are awesome we'd love to know because we're expecting in August!

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

Maggie

Hi! We are moving to Little Rock to complete pilot training and would like to get some more information about the town, the base, & the overall community. We are currently stationed at NAS-CC and will be moving along with 3 other couples to Little Rock within the next few months. If there is already a feed with this information would you post us in the right direction? If not any information would help! We all have children under 2 and would be looking into spouse events, playgroups, bible studies and daily activities for stay at home mom's with toddlers. Also if anyone has any information about OB/GYN's that are awesome we'd love to know because we're expecting in August!

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

Maggie

Dr Chang at Baptist North Little Rock.

• 1 month later...

I just dropped C-130E/Hs to LR and I was wondering where are some good places to live, all I have been seeing are temp places while people are going through initial qual

LRAFB is only 12 miles north of the city, so there are tons of good spots. I lived in apartments in N little rock for a while before moving on base, although I don't recommend the second option unless you've got some family issues like I had. It's a good place and a good assignment, hopefully you lucked out and got the 50th; I left about 2.5 years ago, great group of dudes & tons of good TDYs. If you want any better info PM me and I can put you in touch with bro's at the squadron.

It's a good place and a good assignment, hopefully you lucked out and got the 50th; I left about 2.5 years ago, great group of dudes & tons of good TDYs.

Yeah... not so great anymore. At least there's a leadership change coming quickly (STS).