Little Rock info

Guest pilotpm

Kids will be in school, she is well established with her job and friends. So it makes more sense for her to stay at WP while I'm in training. Yes, we'll have to pay for 2 residences, but I dont plan on spending a lot of scratch on a place when I'll only be there for 6 months then turn around and PCS again.

Here is one for you guys. Apparently the ANG does not authorize rental cars at L.R. even though the Student Guide specifically states that due to Base Transportation's high workload, students should be given a rental car during the flight line phase. In light of this I asked our WG Training manager if the WG will reimburse taxi fares to and from the squadron (I know, a horribly painful and hardly possibly option, but we're trying to make a point here). Her response, I shit you not: "its less than 2 miles from the dorms to the flying squadrons so we don't reimburse you for that, our suggestion is to find a buddy." I guarantee that idiot hasn't walked two miles in an entire career's worth of TDY's... Anyway, has anyone (ANG) had recent success getting a car approved for the flying phase? I realize that most people will have a personal car to drive but that isn't always possible for everyone.

Is driving to LRF not an option? Life would suck here if you didn't have a car.

If driving isn't an option, and the unit wont spring for a rental...craigslist/newspaper/local buy-here/pay-here dealers have dozens $500 cars for sale...buy it, insure it, drive it, then sell it for a song (or donate it) when you leave...

No kidding man. Had to deal with that twice when stationed overseas and then having to come back to the "Home of Combat Airlift/C-130 Center of Excellence) for formal training. Squadron policy: no rental car while you are in the sim/academics (unless you had a non-A). WTF?

Thank goodness for bros from UPT that were stationed there that kept me sane.

Anyone leave their spouse at their prior base while they were at LR schoolhouse...I'm not sure how this works since its a PCS. Wife wants to stay in place rather than PCS twice in one year.

When I went through Requal, I left the wife & kids at my prior base. Simliar reasons, she had friends and family in the area, but not in Little Rock, plus the rugrats were in preschool. I kept my BAH the entire time I was TDY (~3 months). I stayed with a friend after signing a refusal of quarters letter, but sticking w/ billeting would have obviously been paid, so finances shouldn't be an issue. I actually made more money I think because the AF paid for 3 PCS: one for me from my base to LRAFB, one for me from LRAFB to my new base, and one for my family from my old base to new. Plus I got family sep pay.

Guest BanjoMan

Question for MC-130 Navs (Shadows specifically)...

Does the training at LR consist of flying or is all that done out at Kirtland? I was told I wouldn't fly here but another guy going exact same aircraft said he'll be flying here at LR (only difference between us is he's going to Kadena and I'm going to Mildenhall ultimately). So is it squadron specific or did someone just tell me wrong? I'm gonna go talk to stud admin of course but figured I'd ask here too...

• 1 month later...

A question for the more experienced: I know I will be at the rock for 5-6 months but a lot of the leases I am looking at require a one year contract. Can I sign the one year contract and get out of it using my orders when the time comes or does that not apply being that I already have my follow on assignment?

Edited by JS57

Just be honest with the landlord/agency, they'll probably work with you. If things do get litigious about you breaking the lease...you're not going to fare well, because it's already stated on your orders. And you won't make a good name for any AF folks that have to rent in your trail.

A question for the more experienced: I know I will be at the rock for 5-6 months but a lot of the leases I am looking at require a one year contract. Can I sign the one year contract and get out of it using my orders when the time comes or does that not apply being that I already have my follow on assignment?

If it doesn't have a "military clause" built in to the lease, then the SCRA automatically covers it. It'll become a lot more contentious possibly, but you'll be legally covered.

SCRA doesn't cover it if you know you're leaving sooner than you tell them. If you literally don't know (ie orders aren't published yet) then you could get away with it. But the landlord could have a legal case against you if they ask for orders and the publish date is before you signed the lease.

Just ask for shorter lease, most every place will cooperate for military. If not, Tough Nut or Enclave (if it's foundations are holding) do 6 month leases.

• 1 year later...

All:

I figured I would post my very recent experience with the living circumstances here. I didn't read the entire thread so apologies ahead if it is redundant. This may be more helpful for those going solo for the normal training TDY.

I came down by myself for TDY and left the family back home. I started off living on base, then moved downtown a block from the "Rivermarket." Here are my (very general) takes:

On Base:

Good:

You can roll out of bed and walk to work. That is nice for the zero dark-thirty shows.

The gym is very nice, but usually pretty packed during peak hours. Nice facility though.

Not Good:

The dorms are clean, but small and dated. There is not a kitchen. (Big suck for me.) You only have a microwave and a refrigerator. For the $56.00 nightly rate, you can do much better out in town.

The DFAC is OK. You'll want to put the business end of a gun in your mouth after eating there for a few months though. Your B.P. will likely be 300/190 with all the damn salt they use. Also, there aren't a lot of off base options close, unless you can live on fast food. I personally can't...

You need to drive for 15-30 minutes to get anywhere "good." (Cabs are usually pretty reasonable if you drink your face off.)

I'm a guard guy now, so I felt like I was done living on a base unless absolutely necessary, as it still has that minimum security prison feel.

Off Base:

Really nothing bad. Occasionally the front gate can get backed up and delayed. Plan accordingly during peak times. For the $56.00 per day lodging rate, you can get a pretty nice place. The only regret I have is not moving off base sooner. (Just my opinion.)

There are options to lease totally furnished places at a good rate. They are fully furnished (WiFi, cable, utilities, etc.) The person I used to find a furnished place off base is listed below. She was very easy to work. Leasing options are very flexible. I am on a month to month, and may even go week to week if I get delayed. She can work with anything. If you are thinking about a furnished place in or near LR, give her a call. Hope this helped. Good luck...

Diane McCoy

Arkansas Suites

Corporate Housing

Executive Director

800-644-2787

501-221-7829 (Central Arkansas)

479-464-7368 (Northwest Arkansas)

www.arkansassuites.net

diane@lrapartments.com

Great question, Spoo. No security deposit was required. I paid a (non-refundable) $70 processing fee. As a good measure, I lined all of the velvet furniture in garbage bags just in case. The money I saved on the security deposit was used to buy a do-it-yourself stomach pump kit. As an added bonus, the floors are concrete, so any spills or bodily fluid explosions can be mopped up rather quickly. It's really a great place for me.

• Upvote 1

Velvet furniture, huh? Sounds nice. I'm sure you already know the answer, but what's the weight-bearing capacity on those floors?