Christmas gifts for aviation folks

BQZip01

nsplayr wins the thread.

But yeah, two minutes after getting THAT gift, I'll be hoping for a Blu-Ray player, some Rock Band action (don't scoff...it's AWESOME when you're drunk), and probably some clothes my wife will pick for me.

And then I'd like another beeeej.

just to make an addition, not that yalls weren't good but...

how about a BJ with a bag of cheetos on one side, a sam adams winter lager on the other, all while watching the game. Im a simple man with simple requests.

for all you gift purchasing types, heres a good one

GARMIN GPS watch

Blu-ray player....for the win FURY220 good call

oh..and a 6 pack of sam adams and a bag of cheetos...(cheetos puffs too...not those crunchy bastards)

I hope she reads this...... :aviator:

Guest markkyle66

I'm looking into geting a Breitling Navitimer. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good time peice. Just curious if any of the folks here have bought one. Would you guys recommend getting one pre-owned?

Edited by markkyle66

Airplane models are always a good choice.

I'm personally a fan of the Citizen Skyhawk as a watch...but if you've got the $$$ for a Breitling, more power to you.

Otherwise, there's all kinds of aviation themed gear, from wall clocks designed to look like altimeters to framed aviation art.

Because honestly, I don't see BQ giving anyone a BJ for Christmas.

I'm looking into geting a Breitling Navitimer. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good time peice. Just curious if any of the folks here have bought one. Would you guys recommend getting one pre-owned?

I'll bet you can get one super cheap if the ELT has been activated.

Edit: Disregard, I think that is the NAVIGATOR that has the ELT. Of course, for the kind of money you would spend on a Breitling, I'd prefer a $30 Timex and two Vegas hookers at once.

Edited by discus

Nice Pawnman. I'm still laughing.

Maybe you could give somebody the gift of food. Folks in Abilene love BBQ and a buddy just sent me a picture of his girlfriend's favorite.

Edited by SuperWSO

I personally can't see spending that much money on something that just keeps time (ok, it has a stopwatch and a nifty little gauge to tell you how fast you are going if that time is over a 1-mile distance...how often can you wag that?).

If you are looking for a watch that is quite practical for aviation, I'm a huge fan of the pathfinder line from casio: altimeter, barometer, atomic clock, digital compass, thermometer, etc.

http://pathfinder.casio.com/

Because honestly, I don't see BQ giving anyone a BJ for Christmas.

Damn straight...

I just want my car to get here from the states...

Gearpig: which G-shock is that, I've been looking for a new one.

I got my wife a boxer puppy so I can pretty much get whatever the hell I want for xmas this year. I just pre-ordered a RC V-22...I look forward to blowing a hyd line and crashing in my backyard. Good times! My next self-gift is going to be a wireless surround sound set up for the living room.

8.jpg

I just want my car to get here from the states...

Gearpig: which G-shock is that, I've been looking for a new one.

I got my wife a boxer puppy so I can pretty much get whatever the hell I want for xmas this year. I just pre-ordered a RC V-22...I look forward to blowing a hyd line and crashing in my backyard. Good times! My next self-gift is going to be a wireless surround sound set up for the living room.

8.jpg

Judging from the picture (and a little googling) tells me it's a GW-2500.

BQ,

I'm a bit of a Casio connoisseur myself. They have a relatively new aviation watch that I recently bought. $200. The LCD is a little dim in low light, but otherwise love it.

paw1300-1v.jpg

The pathfinder is awesome. That "little dim in low light" isn't a problem for the Pathfinder. It has a strong backlight; easy to read. Plus it has a feature that if you bring your arm up and tilt your wrist to look at it in low light, it will automatically light up. Worth every penny!

Edited by BQZip01

+1 on the pathfinder being a hell of a good watch. It's solar powered so you never have to worry about batteries, and it automatically updates from the atomic clock, so a time hack pretty much comprises of checking that you have it set for the right time zone.

the barometer/altimeter/compass are a plus on top of that

+1 on the pathfinder being a hell of a good watch. It's solar powered so you never have to worry about batteries, and it automatically updates from the atomic clock, so a time hack pretty much comprises of checking that you have it set for the right time zone.

the barometer/altimeter/compass are a plus on top of that

I wonder how many dudes send theirs back because the altimeter stops climbing at 8,000 ft in the airplane.

I suppose it could double as a "CABIN OVER 10K" light, provided you look at it.

Can Herk guys open the side window and hang their arm out to check the altitude?

Can Herk guys open the side window and hang their arm out to check the altitude?

Yes it works... though hanging your arm out the window isn't necessary for us.

I also brought it to the chamber with me last time I went. The manual advertises an accuracy of +/- 60 feet IIRC, but I've noticed it is more like +/- 150 feet

I just pre-ordered a RC V-22...I look forward to blowing a hyd line and crashing in my backyard. Good times!

As much as I want to laugh at that... I can't.

M1Rifle.jpg

Aside from the BJ, best idea yet.

I wonder how many dudes send theirs back because the altimeter stops climbing at 8,000 ft in the airplane.

I suppose it could double as a "CABIN OVER 10K" light, provided you look at it.

It actually served just that purpose during a flight I had. The BUFF checks that at 12,000 feet and as we passed 10,000, I checked my watch, which showed 10,500, indicating the jet was not properly pressurizing. While the AC also properly called out that the pressure gauge was reading the outside altitude and we all were to remain on the hose, he's also the only one with a gauge. We found the problem, fixed it, and continued on our mission. If that gauge fails, the AC misreads it, or the AC becomes incapacitated first due to a slow loss of cabin pressurization, there is no backup and no one else can verify that information. Kind of nice to have your own personal gauge...

M1Rifle.jpg

M1 Garand? NICE rifle. I'll take one too.

Edited by BQZip01

What would y'all want for Christmas? It can be anything military-related, aviation-related, cool kick-ass guy/gal stuff, books, movies, etc?

A call from my recruiter telling me that I've been accepted for a pilot/nav slot in the 10-01 board.

A PS3 would be alright as well.

just to make an addition, not that yalls weren't good but...

how about a BJ with a bag of cheetos on one side, a sam adams winter lager on the other, all while watching the game. Im a simple man with simple requests.....

.... oh..and a 6 pack of sam adams and a bag of cheetos...(cheetos puffs too...not those crunchy bastards)

I hope she reads this...... :aviator:

However one of these would be nice...

EDIT: because the photo didn't attach the first time.

post-4709-125962613746_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stitch

Get a -4 instead of an -8. All the fun, half the price!

You are correct sir! However the in -8 you can taxi to/from EOR with the canopy open like a Walter Mitty Joe Cool pseudo P-51 driver; kinda hard to do with the -4's tip over. Add in those of us that are a little highter on the "bubba scale" need the larger cockpit (sts) the -8 affords. :rock: