Academic Conditional Issues (GPA/grades)

Guest Codename46

Guest Codename46

If you get a D in a class, but your term and cumulative GPA is still above a 2.5, will you still be given a conditional?

Having spoken from experience going for my Comp Eng degree, no you will not get a conditional unless:

AFROTCI 36-2011 Administration of Senior Air Force ROTC Cadets

2.15.4.2. Cadets who receive a final grade of “F” or the institutional equivalent in a single academic term are not maintaining AFROTC academic retention standards and must receive a conditional event. NOTE: In situations where the detachment commander feels further information regarding the failure is warranted, AFROTC IMT 704, Academic Performance Inquiry, may be used to obtain information from academic instructors regarding the AFROTC cadet's academic efforts in courses in which academic standards have not been met.

2.15.4.3. Any grade (in a core course) which requires a course to be retaken for degree accreditation is considered an “F equivalent”. For example, if a grade of “D” in a senior-level core course is not acceptable for the degree and must be retaken, it is a failure to maintain academic standards (reference Table 2.1).

Having spoken from experience going for my Comp Eng degree, no you will not get a conditional unless:

AFROTCI 36-2011 Administration of Senior Air Force ROTC Cadets

2.15.4.2. Cadets who receive a final grade of “F” or the institutional equivalent in a single academic term are not maintaining AFROTC academic retention standards and must receive a conditional event. NOTE: In situations where the detachment commander feels further information regarding the failure is warranted, AFROTC IMT 704, Academic Performance Inquiry, may be used to obtain information from academic instructors regarding the AFROTC cadet's academic efforts in courses in which academic standards have not been met.

2.15.4.3. Any grade (in a core course) which requires a course to be retaken for degree accreditation is considered an “F equivalent”. For example, if a grade of “D” in a senior-level core course is not acceptable for the degree and must be retaken, it is a failure to maintain academic standards (reference Table 2.1).

me 2!:beer: lol

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Codename46

Sorry to bump an old topic, but to expand on my problem:

1) I don't know if this class would be considered as a core course, because I need to take either this class or another class to graduate. So if I get a D in this class, would it be considered as an F?

2) If I do receive a conditional for academics this would be my third, and I would be investigated for disenrollment. This prospect scares the crap out of me considering I fill out my Form 53 next semester. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

Sorry to bump an old topic, but to expand on my problem:

1) I don't know if this class would be considered as a core course, because I need to take either this class or another class to graduate. So if I get a D in this class, would it be considered as an F?

2) If I do receive a conditional for academics this would be my third, and I would be investigated for disenrollment. This prospect scares the crap out of me considering I fill out my Form 53 next semester. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

Being a core class does not necessarily mean you have to retake. For instance, English is a core class but you can get a D and move on to the next class. Calculus I is a prereq for Calculus II and you cannot advance with a D in Cal I.

I know a buddy that was kicked out b/c of 3 conditionals, but also b/c he was just doing terrible in Mechanical Engineering overall. If your GPA is higher than the min each semester and overall you're ok, then don't stress (as much). Just get it together and bust your ass to pass (study, study groups, get help with hw, kiss your teachers ass, etc.)

Guest Codename46

Being a core class does not necessarily mean you have to retake. For instance, English is a core class but you can get a D and move on to the next class. Calculus I is a prereq for Calculus II and you cannot advance with a D in Cal I.

I know a buddy that was kicked out b/c of 3 conditionals, but also b/c he was just doing terrible in Mechanical Engineering overall. If your GPA is higher than the min each semester and overall you're ok, then don't stress (as much). Just get it together and bust your ass to pass (study, study groups, get help with hw, kiss your teachers ass, etc.)

Thanks for the response. This class isn't a prerequisite for any classes, so would I still get a conditional if I get a D in the class but maintain > 2.5 semester GPA?

Thanks for the response. This class isn't a prerequisite for any classes, so would I still get a conditional if I get a D in the class but maintain > 2.5 semester GPA?

Can't say for certain (read into your university policies) but sounds like the answer is, NO. I had my share of D's but always maintained higher than 2.5 and never had to repeat a class. D is for diploma.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Tracer_Tong

Hey guys,

I've had two conditionals on my record so far for academics. Yes, I know I screwed up bad but mostly it was due to poor choices of class combinations. I sincerely busted my ass off this semester but I still got a D in one of my classes.

This class is an upper-division Computer Science class. I am a CS major. However, it is an elective class and I do not need it to graduate. Even with this D, my GPA will be at least a 2.5 this semester. Even with a D in this class I do not need to repeat it.

Will I get a conditional? I've already gotten two, and the notion of being investigated for disenrollment is very frightening considering my commissioning is May 2011.

I am currently on scholarship btw.

Thanks.

I have gotten a D in a class and nothing happened to me. They just simply asked if it was going to keep me from graduating on time and I said that it would not mess with anything. Which is true at my college mind you. I would just check with your academic advisor to make sure that it is not going to delay you in anything. If he/she says no, then i wouldn't worry too much about it.

I thought this was brought up before somewhere.

Failing a class is a problem. Most schools/courses use the "F" as the standard nomenclature that you didn't get the job done. What 'failure' really means is 'did not perform at a level to receive credit'- 'failed to receive credit', etc. This is how the AF interprets it.

Some courses, like many of the engineering courses I've taken, will only give you credit with a C or better. Therefore, any D or F was a "failure". I hooked a final and ended up with a D in a class; the AF treated it as a full failure, because it was.

That should make sense. 2.5 is a whole other matter to consider.

Hey guys,

I've had two conditionals on my record so far for academics. Yes, I know I screwed up bad but mostly it was due to poor choices of class combinations. I sincerely busted my ass off this semester but I still got a D in one of my classes.

This class is an upper-division Computer Science class. I am a CS major. However, it is an elective class and I do not need it to graduate. Even with this D, my GPA will be at least a 2.5 this semester. Even with a D in this class I do not need to repeat it.

Will I get a conditional? I've already gotten two, and the notion of being investigated for disenrollment is very frightening considering my commissioning is May 2011.

I am currently on scholarship btw.

Thanks.

It's all there if you look at that form 16 that you're signing each term. C's or better in all AS classes, 2.5 or better cumulative in your other academics. The only way it would be a problem is if that D were to delay your DOC.

Junior year for any engineering/CS or other tech majors is definitely the toughest. Stick it out and bear down, you should be fine.

Guest cadetd

Got a D in two classes and am repeating them both in summer school, conditional? I'm not on scholarship btw.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RRocket

Like others have said, you will only get a conditional if it is a prereq for another class. I got a conditional for a D because it was a prereq for another class. It doesnt matter if it effects your DOC because they count it as a failed class.

• Downvote 1

What about summer classes? I'm taking 2 really tough courses now and am hoping for a D in both, but have done well in every other class.

Credits are credits- you get them or you don't, regardless of when they're attempted. Time to drop it down a gear and put some power into it.

What about summer classes? I'm taking 2 really tough courses now and am hoping for a D in both, but have done well in every other class.

Last time I went after a set of D's during the summer it had nothing to do with classes! :airman:

Edited by Magellan
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Three questions...

How about if you get a D in an elective course? Could you take the class over and replace the grade?

Some institutions have "institutional credit" classes. These classes don't apply towards your overall GPA. How about if you get a D in one of those classes?

How about if you transfer to another University... But you loose the credits of the classes that you received Ds on (they don't transfer). Your GPA will be higher in the new university right?

Edited by izzlenizzle

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Three questions...

How about if you get a D in an elective course? Could you take the class over and replace the grade?

Some institutions have "institutional credit" classes. These classes don't apply towards your overall GPA. How about if you get a D in one of those classes?

How about if you transfer to another University... But you loose the credits of the classes that you received Ds on (they don't transfer). Your GPA will be higher in the new university right?

Your GPA at the university you transfer to will be higher, but as Kjack said, ROTC computes your GPA based on all of the classes you have taken. It is separate from your institutional GPA.

Edited by Masshole