I Hate Reflective Belts

Toro

i just cut a small piece off my belt and hand wrote "IHRB" in permanent marker--now to get one of the local patch shops to sew velcro on it

Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. sell self-adhesive Velcro strips, you know...

Straight from af.mil today. YGBFSM...suck a dick.

Freddy, the 1st Fighter Wing Public Affairs' jack-o'-lantern, dons a reflective belt in preparation for a safe Halloween at Langley Air Force Base, Va. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Barry Loo)"

091005-F-2729L-136.jpg

Edited by VFR800

The pic is just half the problem...read the article.

---------------------------

10/27/2009 - LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (AFNS) -- Halloween is a night of candy, costumes and spooky escapades, however; there are several precautions adults and children can take to ensure a safe and happy night of haunting.

Airmen in the 1st Security Forces Squadron recommend the following safety guidelines for anyone participating in the upcoming Halloween celebration:

-- Children should wear light-colored clothing that is short enough to prevent tripping. Parents also may want to add reflective tape to the costume.

-- Ensure children can see out of their masks or use face makeup instead of masks.

-- Avoid using hard plastic or wood props, such as daggers or swords. Instead, you can substitute foam rubber for flexibility, in case the child falls.

-- Parents should purchase Halloween costumes -- including wigs, capes and props -- that feature a flame-resistant or flame-retardant label.

-- Use sidewalks when available and begin trick-or-treating before sunset.

-- Each child should carry a flashlight or glow stick.

-- Don't take shortcuts through yards to get to the next house. Children could get hurt by unknown obstacles.

-- Don't allow children to eat or sample any candy before you check it. Throw away all unwrapped candy, popcorn and caramel apples unless you know who gave them to your child.

-- Parents should accompany young children or groups of children when trick-or-treating. Walk with friends and stay together.

-- Look both ways before crossing the street. Have someone carry a flashlight in front of the group and walk on the shoulder of the road whenever possible.

-- Stay within your own neighborhood or areas with which you are familiar and visit only homes with lit porch lights.

-- Keep pets inside and secured. A pet might not recognize your children or the children coming to the door and the pet may become frightened or aggressive.

-- Keep children away from candles and flames, especially when in costume. Advise children to stay away from jack-o'-lanterns with candles or open flames. Ensure children know how to stop, drop and roll in case their clothes catch fire.

-- Keep jack-o'-lanterns away from landings or doorways where costumes could brush against the candle flame. Consider using glow sticks or battery-powered lights for jack-o'-lanterns.

-- Parents should remove lawn decorations along walkways and provide a well-lit driveway for visitors.

--------------------

Un-fucking-believable. Apparently the only safe way for a kid to trick or treat is for the kid to wear a neon pink pirate costume made out of nomex with triple stitched reflective material sewn in the seams and a searchlight, foghorn, and GPS locator attached to the hat and a nerf sword. Boo.

Whatever happended to letting kids get into a little trouble on Halloween? Scary costume, parents stay at home, leave after dark, 4-foot pillow case for max candy storage, scare kid younger than you and make them cry, egg people's houses who pretend like they're not home, and eat half of your candy on the three and a half mile walk back home.

And now apparently jack o' laterns are the new deadly threat. The AF needs to EABOD.

Edited by HerkDerka

Re-read through this thread one more time and let us know what you find.

Just bringing up the fact that Baseops was getting represented on FB since there are a lot of non-baseops folks joining that group.

It's one thing to come and thank us here, it's another to thank us in front of people not part of the Baseops community.

Group is pushing 2500, I especially enjoy the "great moments in reflective belt history" pics.

Keep it goin folks!

Edited by contraildash

Guest fourtenwedge

Joined yesterday +15 invites. But, please tell me that before you booted Chris Heaney and Benjamin Karl Rostel Reid that you explained to them why the belt is f'n retarded. I'll hold off on making fun of Benjamin Karl Rostel Reid's name.

Joined yesterday +15 invites. But, please tell me that before you booted Chris Heaney and Benjamin Karl Rostel Reid that you explained to them why the belt is f'n retarded. I'll hold off on making fun of Benjamin Karl Rostel Reid's name.

Sorry. I had a few beers in me and one of the morons wife's was spouting off before I booted both of them and the wife. But they are both work to fix internet/some crap I don't care about. So, the terms Shoe Clerk and REMF most definitely apply.

Just bringing up the fact that Baseops was getting represented on FB since there are a lot of non-baseops folks joining that group.

It's one thing to come and thank us here, it's another to thank us in front of people not part of the Baseops community.

Group is pushing 2500, I especially enjoy the "great moments in reflective belt history" pics.

Keep it goin folks!

Just added a huge Thank you to the wall on the group. Thinking about sending it out group wide as a message in the inbox. Don't know just how well that would be received though. Let me know your opinion.

Sorry. I had a few beers in me and one of the morons wife's was spouting off before I booted both of them and the wife. But they are both work to fix internet/some crap I don't care about. So, the terms Shoe Clerk and REMF most definitely apply.

According to the golobal, one's a SSgt and one's a TSgt. I would submit to them that they don't have the big picture. As for the wife, no one cares what she thinks anyway.

haha! This is awesome! My husband showed me the group on FB last week, i think. He and about 5-6 of his friends joined. Not sure If I want to or not, seems more for the AD members then family members :-) But, if you want extra people, lemme know.. I have a LOT of spouse's on my FB that would join :)

HOLY SHIT!

The beast can not be contained

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/10/airmen-take-to-facebook-to-protest-silly-safety-regs/

You’d think men and women who handle heavy weapons, fly the planet’s most advanced airplanes, and take care of multi-million dollar equipment could be trusted to go outside at night without wearing a day-glo safety belt. The United States Air Force would beg to differ.

Instead, airmen are ordered to wear the reflective accessories from the late afternoon on. That goes for domestic installations, and for war zone bases, too. Just like the rule about puttering around at 25 miles an hour or less in your military vehicle.

The whole thing has got airmen pretty annoyed, as you can imagine. So about 2,900 of them have taken to Facebook to stage an informal, online protest against the safety belt regulation — and to make all kinds of fun of it. 400 folks have joined in the last day.

“Do you think Vietnam would have turned out differently if we had warn reflective belts? Could we have caught Osama Bin laden a long time ago if we were less reflective?” gripes one frustrated airman.

“There are confirmed snipers around the perimeter of the flight line…here, put on your reflective belt so you don’t get run over by a fire truck!” laughs another.

“Nothing says ‘I joined the wrong service’ than wearing your belt indoors, on shift. Way to go Air Force,” sighs a third.

But the group’s brightest highlight might be the mock PowerPoint presentation on the long history of the safety belt at war. “If not for the reflective belt, George Washington would’ve lost boats in the ‘fog of war,’ thus rendering his crossing of the Delaware River pointless.”

Edited by uhhello

Dude, that link needs to be posted to the group immediately!

I can go you one better than that. I'll keep y'all updated on how this turns out:

Subject: Reflective belt policy; the backlash

Date: 10/29/2009 4:12:08 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time

Reply To:

To: airlet@airforcetimes.com

Dear Air Force times,

I just wanted to let you know of a viral backlash which is spreading like wildfire across the nation regarding Reflective Belts. There is a FaceBook group entitled "I hate Reflective Belts" which has garnered over 2,500 members in the last week. It went viral after "Wired" published an article about the group in a daily update which can be found here: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/10/airmen-take-to-facebook-to-protest-silly-safety-regs/

This group has become a great outlet for Airmen across the world to express their frustration with some of the policies currently in effect in both the AOR and at home station. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in your researching this phenomena, or if you even intend to do anything with it.

Very Respectfully,

1LT Discus, USAF

Holy jebus... I think mouths are watering all around big blue tonight over the OPR bullet potential building around this!

I hope you mean the OPR bullet for Discus when he gets the policy revoked, not the OPR bullet for some JAG Col when Discus is court-martialed for talking to the press.

haha! This is awesome! My husband showed me the group on FB last week, i think. He and about 5-6 of his friends joined. Not sure If I want to or not, seems more for the AD members then family members :-) But, if you want extra people, lemme know.. I have a LOT of spouse's on my FB that would join :)

Kayla,

I'd be happy to have you and your friends as members. The more the merrier. Thanks for the invites you send in advance.

I hope you mean the OPR bullet for Discus when he gets the policy revoked, not the OPR bullet for some JAG Col when Discus is court-martialed for talking to the press.

"2"!! No reply yet. We'll see if it makes it.