ANG Rescue Wings

Guest lbzrider14

Guest kiditsmaug

This post is for my roommate who wants to get some information on becoming an Air National Guard helo pilot. I was telling him all about my path on applying to every Fighter unit out there for the guard and he loves the idea of staying with a unit for the full 20 years, but could he do it as a helo pilot as well? Has anyone been through this route? If so, I would love some input. Is the process the same for helo units? Anyone know of anymore ANG wop-wop units out there besides:

106 RSQ

176 WG

920 RSQ

129 RSQ

???

Thanks

This post is for my roommate who wants to get some information on becoming an Air National Guard helo pilot. I was telling him all about my path on applying to every Fighter unit out there for the guard and he loves the idea of staying with a unit for the full 20 years, but could he do it as a helo pilot as well? Has anyone been through this route? If so, I would love some input. Is the process the same for helo units? Anyone know of anymore ANG wop-wop units out there besides:

106 RSQ

176 WG

920 RSQ

129 RSQ

???

Thanks

The process is the same for helos as it is for fixed wing. The 920th is reserve. The only helos in the NG/AFRES are in the rescue wings so the units listed above would be your only option for the AF.

The application process for ANG rescue units are the same as any other ANG unit. Check when the units are having UPT boards, apply and interview.

The AK ANG holds a 24/7 alert. NY and CA do not hold a traditional alert like AK, but can/will respond to missions when needed if able.

-Rescue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kiditsmaug

Does anyoen know if the ARMY National Guard holds the same UPT selection boards as ANG for helos? I've called up two ARNG helo aviation units and they just keep trying to get me to enlist or go to officer training, and than apply for flight training after i've been in the unit a while.

Does anyoen know if the ARMY National Guard holds the same UPT selection boards as ANG for helos? I've called up two ARNG helo aviation units and they just keep trying to get me to enlist or go to officer training, and than apply for flight training after i've been in the unit a while.

Check

I don't think the army guard hires nonpriors off the street into WOFT slots, if you have prior service they can. However the army reserve does hire off the street for WOFT. The reason they keep telling you to enlist is b/c your talking to a recruiter. Anytime you call a army guard unit they're going to keep refering you to their unit recruiter. Your best bet is to show up on the doorstep during a drill weekend and try to find the person in charge of hiring. He/she should be an officer. They're great people and if you tell them what your trying to do they'll help you out.

• 2 years later...

Reviving the thread

About a month ago, the 106th Rescue Wing in NY announced a UPT board and stated that there are 6 pilot slots.

Source: http://dmna.ny.gov/jobs/air/HH-60%20PILOT%20OFFICER%20VAC%20ANNO%20_11H1E_%2012-007.pdf

Is it normal for there to be that many slots offered or is it normally like the fixed-wing 1-2 slots annually? I would really like to be a part of rescue and since there are very few rescue squadrons in the guard/ reserves, the more slots available the better.

-MaroonOut

• 2 months later...

I am currently a 10 year NYARNG heli pilot. I have spent time flying for them as a warrant officer as well as a commissioned guy. They very rarely take anybody off the "street" into the warrant officer flight program however if you become a second lieutenant and get branched aviation you are in. That state decides where LT's go. So if you don't have an in at the unit, commissioned is the way to go

As for the 106th ARW, they just filled those slots. They had 60 applicants, widdled it down to 40 and only took 4. They would rather not fill slots there than settle. Very elite unit. Good luck

Thanks for the information CPT_Engel. I am currently a college sophomore planning on applying to ang/afrc squadrons as an "off the street" candidate. If I can't get picked up this way I am open to anything and everything that will let me fly.

I definitely don't want a squadron to settle on me. I want to earn it.

Edited by MaroonOut