100hrs on NVGs=20% Disability?

ChkHandleDn

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought too much disability upon sep/ret was a bad thing when looking for employment post AF. True?

F that noise, it's my hearing and vision that I'm purposefully destroying in the defense of this country. If somebody has a problem with that I probably don't want to work for them anyway....

GW

So lately I've heard from a couple of people that once you log 100 hrs on NVGs, you qualify for 20% disability.

That would be nice...

[/sarcasm]

On a slightly more serious note:

I've never heard of this; did anyone you heard this from give a reasoning behind it? I've got around 160hrs on NVGs, and I'm pretty sure I have no lasting effects from it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought too much disability upon sep/ret was a bad thing when looking for employment post AF. True?

Unless the nature of the disability interfered with my ability to do the job, personally I'd STFU about it. No need to eliminate yourself from the hiring pool if you don't have to.

edit - multiquote didn't work right...

Edited by JarheadBoom

I've heard through the rumor mill that you get some disability once you cross a certain threshold WRT NVG time. I've never heard a % associated with it and I've heard everything from 50-150 hours for the threshold. I definitely wouldn't put much stock in it.

Edited by zrooster99

I'm 100% positive there is no such rule, but I have nothing to back that up. That said if you fly enough goggle hours, and are not in very good shape, you'll probably end up with some minor neck problems after a career. But the hours count to do that is much higher than 150.

I'm 100% positive there is no such rule, but I have nothing to back that up. That said if you fly enough goggle hours, and are not in very good shape, you'll probably end up with some minor neck problems after a career. But the hours count to do that is much higher than 150.

I can tell you exactly what happens. You get arthritis in you back right where the nerves for you arms are. The second indication you have this (first one is you back hurts) is tingling or numbness in your fingers. I have no idea how much disability this accounts for, but I make sure it is noted on my phy every year.

All of your disability ratings questions can be answered by the VA at... http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html

Of note for those in certain jobs, "loss of erectile power" earns you a 20% disability rating.

Other interesting ones that many people don't realize are:

If you came in with 20/20 vision and separate with anything worse than 20/40 there's a disability for that. For example, 20/100 in both eyes earns a 50% rating.

chronic sleep impairment or mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events) earns a 30% rating

Sleep apnea can earn up to a 100% rating depending on the level of care required and daytime fatigue manifested.

Edited by HU&W

Consider yourself corrected.

I can tell you exactly what happens. You get arthritis in you back right where the nerves for you arms are. The second indication you have this (first one is you back hurts) is tingling or numbness in your fingers.

I got all those symptoms, but I think the onset was right around puberty...does that still count?

Edited by skibum

I have to look it up again, but I believe our current generation of NVGs are believed to be improved enough that there is NO accounting on your eye wear and tear. The previous disability %/hrs was removed before I got on NVGs in 2002. Back/neck pain- see the attached link from India for an interesting read.

http://www.isam-india.org/journals/viewabstract.php?journalid=131&yearid=25

There are disability %'s that CAN equate to FAA medical issues- you have to tell your FAA doc everything and work waivers and tests as needed. California and the FAA also busted a bunch of pilots w/ disability payouts and no claimed illness/injury history on their FAA medicals- affecting both their current work (loss of medical) and their payouts.

Keep logging the actual NVG hours, but keep track of them yourself as I don't trust they are accurately input or maintained- along w/ your in command time that the USAF doesn't track for you from 781s...

I have to look it up again, but I believe our current generation of NVGs are believed to be improved enough that there is NO accounting on your eye wear and tear. The previous disability %/hrs was removed before I got on NVGs in 2002.

Would be interesting to see the reference for that, if you can find it.