Seeing a Chiropractor

Ferg

• 2 weeks later...

so, the med group here has a chiro on staff, and I see him every three weeks. Never had to get a referral from flight med, it's free, the guy is great, and I always feel great after. He can tell when I've been flying a lot, and especially a lot of NVGs. No bad stigmas at this base; I think the flight docs understand he's the reason so many rotorheads AREN'T DNIF.

My two cents:

1) Don't igore it. I understand you may be walking a fine line between semi and permanent DNIF here, but consider this: until you get a qualified doc to look at it (and perhaps an MRI), you have no way of knowing exactly what is going on in there. My MRI was pretty eye-opening. It's not going to get better, but I can manage it.

2) Consider all your treatment options. Something to consider as an alternative to Chiro: I have the standard BFM neck, and it got to a point where I couldn't function. I rolled the bones with my flight doc, whom I trusted. After a few months of PT didn't really help, it was suggested I try "dry-needling," which is a clinical version of accupuncture. Turns out there was a PT Doc on base who was qualified. 3 sessions later and Voila! Worked like a charm. Worth looking into.

3) Document, document, document. If you are going the covert route, realize that when and if you want to collect VA Disibility, you're probably going to need some documentation. My med records show a "history of non-debilitating neck pain as a result of flying." Again, trusted Flight Docs.

Nuke