What Type of Vehicles Do Fighter Pilots Drive?

Guest STLCFII

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AirGuardian

Interesting question! Working with the F-16 jocks at Moody all the time 8 years ago it seems to be split by 50%! Half drive vintage American muscle, Corvettes, Porshces, and even one NSX. The other side had mini-vans and trucks who seem be more family oriented. Most of the younger jocks get the fast cars early and change out when they get a large family for the most part. I'm an airlift guy, looking at buying a Mercedes AMG C36(used of course) to replace the Camry, wife has an SUV and my fun toy is a Honda CBR 900 crotch rocket(Motorcycle). I get flak constantly from the all the Harley guys at my Guard unit! Imagine that! When I get too old to bend my knees and need a couch to ride around with a cup holder - I may venture a crusier, not likely though.... Just had to dig on the Harley finatics out there just for fun! Overall, some try to emulate their professional lifestyle only - but most do it for the affordability factor and pure fun!

• 10 months later...
Guest lewisflyboy

That easy: something fast that draws attention but and at the same time makes others dream of.

My picks would be:

Chevy Corvette Z06

Any Italian Sports Car

Each recent response spoken like a true non-fighter pilot.

If you walk through your average fighter squadron parking lot, I'm certain you'll find it looks much like any white-collar civilian job parking lot. There are some high-enders like Vettes, Porches, and Mercs. There are also plenty of trucks and SUVs. The bottom end beaters are represented, too, as well as muscle cars and motorcycles.

The truth is this: Guys who actually fly jets for a living generally don't feel it necessary to have a cool car to show how cool they are.

Here in Japan I drive a $400 Honda Civic. No pilot in my squadron has a car that cost more than $5000, with most being in the 2000-3000 range. Lots of 4x4 mini vans and SUVs because it snows a lot.

Some of our enlisted guys have Fast and Furious Skylines and Rx-7s, but that's a lot of money to spend on something you can't take home.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

Hacker is pretty much right on. While I'm at a pilot training base, meaning the 2Lt pay skews things a little, there's everything from ancient Buick land-yachts to Corvettes. I know 2Lts with M3s and LtCols with 15 year-old minivans. Some people of the same pay grade will drive $40k crew-cab trucks and some will drive the same Honda they had in college. In my flight alone there's a dude with a 1989 Dodge Shadow that begs to be put out of it's misery and another dude with a Corvette. Most people drive something in between. Drive what you want - the average fighter pilot's car has doors and four wheels.

And the best thing about ENJJPT is seeing the foreign students cars.....absolutely hilarious! They usually find the best car that $500-$1000 can buy them and then spray paint that 70s or 80s model vehicle to match their nation's colors, or their flag. You can also spot several vehicles that have been "attacked" by neon-type spray paint..the best one was a neon-orange sprayed on top of a wood-paneled station wagon. However, the best at ENJJPT is probably the big, yellow "short-bus" that has been passed from class-to-class. Rumor has it that it was purchased very cheaply in Pennsylvania and the guy who drove it back to here did so because he was bribed with a case of beer. Some of the stories it has caused are classic.....

I'm not a Fighter Pilot (yet) but I think (and it sounds like that's the consensus) it's a non-issue...little to no correlation. Car-guys will put more emphasis on what car they drive (regardless of their profession) and non car-guys won't understand. I've driven a vette since I could afford one because I'm a vette fanatic...it has nothing to do with my AFSC.

Guest jtpuro

The ENJJPT short bus sounds like a prize! I hope they pass it to 05-07, but if not, my '95 Buick can pick up some slack.

Guest HueyPilot

I would worry less about what car you own that will define you as a fighter pilot, and worry more about flying a perfect sortie in UPT/ENJJPT. Occassionally you'd see a new guy show up at Laughlin, go to San Antonio and buy the latest in sports car technology, and either wash out or go to heavies. Not that heavy guys can't drive nice cars, but obviously buying the cool car, wearing the gold-rimmed Ray Bans and saying "That's Right! I'm Dangerous!" to yourself in front of a mirror won't get you what you want, and to many, you just look kinda like a dork.

Keep what you've got now unless it's unreliable, study, and fly your best.

Guest Gator

What's the motivation behind this question? I thought of about a dozen sarcastic statements to make, but I am truely interested.

FYI - I'm UPT bound later this year with a fighter slot in a Guard unit and I drive a '98 Accord with 94K miles.

Guest deweygcc

Gator save that accord and build a k1 attack with it :D

THAT would be the talk of the O club. Do a search for k1 attack. Its a Sick kit car, that uses an accord for a donor.

Guest KC10Boomer

I think the standard for 15C drivers is the Mazda miata or a hot pink 2003 Volkswagon beetle