Squadron Holiday "Party" Ideas

Guest Red Yeaster

Guest Red Yeaster

Just tasked with planning the squadron holiday party (standard). So this party doesn't suck, I'm looking for any ideas or suggestions that would make this shindig an enjoyable experience.

cheesy-christmas-08-003-compressed.jpg

Do a fund raiser with a timed bidding process to have nominees dress up in Santa and Elf costumes. It can end up being pretty funny. Oh, and booze - lots and lots of booze. Finding a place that allows BYOB and provides bar tending can be a great deal.

Step One - Don't do it at the Club. Bad food, poor service, long lines at the bar because they only hired one bartender, and everything books up a year in advance so you end up having to have your party on a Wednesday night at the end of November.

Step Two - Don't be afraid to NOT have a Christmas - yes I said CHRISTMAS - theme. Some of the best CHRISTMAS parties I have done or been to had nothing to do with CHRISTMAS. One was a western themed party, the other was an 80s party.

Step Three - Have games/entertainment. Whatever your theme is, do some sort of related trivia where each couple (or individual for the folks going stag) gets an answer sheet. For our 80s party, we did an 80s name that tune where we played 6-9 seconds of 80s songs, as well as 80s TV themes. We also had some 80s trivia questions. Since we had to do ours at the club (the wives unfortunately had the foresight to book it a year in advance), we used the trivia as a space filler in between appetizers and dinner. While everybody ate dinner, we tallied up the score sheets and during desert we announced the winners.

Step Four - Have prizes. For our trivia prizes, we got businesses in town to volunteer stuff. You'd be amazed how easy it is to collect prizes if you go around in uniform and simply tell them what you're doing. I think we had maybe one or two businesses (out of about 20) tell us no thanks. We got gift certificates for restaurants, golf courses, oil changes, and even a television from a electronics store.

We used to do a 'Yankee Gift Exchange'. Everyone (or couple) brings a gift to the party, typically booze, and usually $20 or less.

They pick numbers when they get there, and once the gift exchange starts, you start with #1, who gets to go pick a gift.

Obviously #2 is next, but they have the option to either get a 'fresh' gift or take the gift that #1 just opened. And so it goes.

The only other rules are that you can only have your gift taken away twice, and the person who went first gets to take someone else's gift at the end to make up for their having to pick first.

The cut-throat aspect always led to hilarity and a pretty good time.

That may have also had something to do with the amount of booze served, and the drunk bus to take us all home.

We used to do a 'Yankee Gift Exchange'. Everyone (or couple) brings a gift to the party, typically booze, and usually $20 or less.

The cut-throat aspect always led to hilarity and a pretty good time.

That may have also had something to do with the amount of booze served, and the drunk bus to take us all home.

X2

I would add don't do a "Holiday" party. Do a freaking Christmas party.

The best Christmas party I can recall was while I was at Shaw. One of our guys had his Commercial license and checked out a bus from Transportation. We met at the Squadron with coolers and wives in tow, piled onto the bus, and drove to a German resturant in Columbia. Order what you want, drink what you want, and the bus will make two trips back to Shaw. Plan accordingly. The only problem I recall was someone standing in the aisle on the return trip stumbled while the bus was turning and poured the better part of a 1 liter boot of beer down my back.

So, if you have a resturant nearby that will put up you guys, that might be an option.

Guest herkgrrl

We did a Kangaroo Court last year: Best Party Seen to Date

GW

Kangaroo Court? What on earth is that?

Edited by herkgrrl

Guest JSpoon

One of the best parties we threw in college was the 40oz. party. All the Seniors on my rugby team would bring two 40oz. of malt liqour and duct taped them to the hands of rookies and underclassmen. The rule was you could not use your hands until BOTH 40oz. were consumed. The exception was you could use the bathroom if you could talk a female into "assisting" you. Good party theme. You would be amazed at how low your standards go when your 1 1/2 deep into a King Cobra and nature calls. I know that doesn't help you Red, but it's just a thought.

One of the best parties we threw in college was the 40oz. party. All the Seniors on my rugby team would bring two 40oz. of malt liqour and duct taped them to the hands of rookies and underclassmen.

Edwards 40-hands

One of the best parties we threw in college was the 40oz. party. All the Seniors on my rugby team would bring two 40oz. of malt liqour and duct taped them to the hands of rookies and underclassmen. The rule was you could not use your hands until BOTH 40oz. were consumed. The exception was you could use the bathroom if you could talk a female into "assisting" you. Good party theme. You would be amazed at how low your standards go when your 1 1/2 deep into a King Cobra and nature calls. I know that doesn't help you Red, but it's just a thought.

aka. Edward 40 hands...Might be a bit much for a Squadron party, but it wouldn't be forgotten.

edit.. TORO beat me to it.

Edited by Kdubz

Guest JSpoon

I'm ashamed to say I did it for four years and never knew it was called that. I learn something new on here everyday. :beer:

Guest Red Yeaster

Thanks for the inputs. After much deliberation, I've finalized some plans for a "College Throwback Christmas". This is my vision: sport your favorite college attire, bring a cheap bottle of booze, the squadron supplies the 40's and kegs, and we all get sh*& faced. There's no need to decorate, because it'll get demolished anyway. Then, around 12am when the o'club bartenders are thoroughly annoyed, the drunk bus lined with cubes of Busch Light, will take us to the local establishments for the after party. I still need to figure out some logistics and queep, but I think I'll get some good OPR bullets out of the deal.

Thanks for the inputs. After much deliberation, I've finalized some plans for a "College Throwback Christmas". This is my vision: sport your favorite college attire, bring a cheap bottle of booze, the squadron supplies the 40's and kegs, and we all get sh*& faced. There's no need to decorate, because it'll get demolished anyway. Then, around 12am when the o'club bartenders are thoroughly annoyed, the drunk bus lined with cubes of Busch Light, will take us to the local establishments for the after party. I still need to figure out some logistics and queep, but I think I'll get some good OPR bullets out of the deal.

"Successfully implemented new morale policies for Sq; unit cohesion boosted 200%; Party bus was a great idea or we'd have about 60 DUIs in one night; pregnancies up in squadron 58%"

• 2 years later...

So our SQ/CC tasked the LPA with throwing a "Heritage Party" for the squadron. I've never been to or heard of one of these, and I'm looking for any sweet heritage'esque type ideas for it. I've got two so far: 1) Find a well known/badass former squadron member and read their bio at the opening like at UPT drop nights 2) Inviting retired squadron alumni and recognizing them at the opening. I'd appreciate any past experience with heritage type events, feedback, or ideas. :beer: