ANG/AFRC Deployment ?s

Guest runge

Hey,

For those of you in the ANG or AFR who have been deployed, what did you do with your family? If it's just a spouse, can they come with you? Are you eligible for on-base housing with your spouse? If you have a wife and kids I guess you don't really have any choice but to leave them behind, if the wife works or the kids are in school.....

If you've been deployed, how long was it for, and how rough was it? My girlfriend and I currently live in different states, so I'm a little bit accustomed to being apart, but I'm wondering how hard on the family it is when you get deployed?

Thanks for your info,

-Will

Also, an entirely unrelated but similarly n00bish question: Do you have to have residency in the state where your ANG/AFR unit is based?

Hey,

For those of you in the ANG or AFR who have been deployed, what did you do with your family? If it's just a spouse, can they come with you? Are you eligible for on-base housing with your spouse? If you have a wife and kids I guess you don't really have any choice but to leave them behind, if the wife works or the kids are in school.....

If you've been deployed, how long was it for, and how rough was it? My girlfriend and I currently live in different states, so I'm a little bit accustomed to being apart, but I'm wondering how hard on the family it is when you get deployed?

Thanks for your info,

-Will

Also, an entirely unrelated but similarly n00bish question: Do you have to have residency in the state where your ANG/AFR unit is based?

Oh my, where to start with this one...

The very short answer is "it depends". There are some great locations that we "deploy" to - think Guam, Curacao, Hawaii, Australia, Germany, England, etc - where it is pretty easy to buy your spouse an airline ticket and fly her (him) over at your own expense. Depending on where you are, you might even be able to have them stay in your billetting room - unless of course you are doubled or tripled up, which might get awkward, or might be the best thing ever if you're into that sort of thing.

Obviously you can't bring your spouse to places like Iraq, Quatar, Afghanistan, etc - as they are pretty much shitholes to begin with, and most of those "forward deployed" bases do not let unauthorized civilians (i.e. your family) on the base. Keep in mind that most of our long deployments are to these type places, so your chances to bring your family with you are few and far between.

Bottom line...suck it up. Being away from home and your family is an unfortunate part of any military career, with flying jobs being some of the worst.

To answer your other question, no you do not have to be a resident of the state where your guard unit is located. You may still have to pay state income tax on income earned in that state, but they shouldn't make you declare residency.

For those of you in the ANG or AFR who have been deployed, what did you do with your family? If it's just a spouse, can they come with you? Are you eligible for on-base housing with your spouse?

You may be able to take your spouse/family on a TDY, but not even a spouse will go with you on a deployment.

I'll let someone else smarter on ANG/AFR answer the eligibility question, but unless you're deploying for a 365 I wouldn't bother with housing. I imagine you can't even apply until you've got your orders, and at that time you could be looking at a wait of anywhere from a couple weeks to several months. Once you return, you'll be out of housing. We would you want base housing as opposed to just taking your housing allowance and keeping them where they're at?

If you've been deployed, how long was it for, and how rough was it?

You'll run the full gamut on this one. Little bit of info here on helping out family with deployments.

Okay, so Im thinking your jargon is off. There is a difference between a deployment and PCS for training. A deployment for a reservist or guardsman is usually in support of some contingency or ongoing operation. Usually, spouses arent going with unless youre paying to send them. The only time I paid for my spouse to come with me was to a 2 week deployment to Puerto Rico. She came for about 4 days and I got launched down range. I ended up spending about 18 hours with her. It was a crap shoot, and I rolled snake eyes.

Now your spouse can come with you when you PCS for training. If you were selected for a UPT slot with the guard or reserves, youll go to OTS (or AMS) for about 90 days. The spouse wont come. Then youll PCS to a UPT base for a year, the spouse will come with. Then youre looking at FTU or IFM (Ill let a carnivore explain that route). Your FTU can take 3-7 months or longer. Your spouse may or may not be paid for but I would recommend taking her (especially if she is hot). There will be survival school (17 days) no spouse, Water survival, (7 days no spouse) and then youll be back home.

Most units like to hire local guys. Maybe not from the same state, but close by. Sometimes, theyll hire folks outside of the local area if that guy gives the impression that hell move local post UPT. Living close to the unit is much easier than having a large commute that youll pay for sometimes.

Edited by slacker

It's not a requirement to be a resident of the state your ANG/AFRC unit is in... but it will likely be a factor in the hiring board's decision.

I know in one of the recent hiring boards we had in our SQ, the candidates' state of residency (and their willingness or unwillingness to consider moving closer) played a part in the final decision. Probably a minor part, but it was definitely discussed at length between board members.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a requirement to be a resident of the state your ANG/AFRC unit is in... but it will likely be a factor in the hiring board's decision.

I know in one of the recent hiring boards we had in our SQ, the candidates' state of residency (and their willingness or unwillingness to consider moving closer) played a part in the final decision. Probably a minor part, but it was definitely discussed at length between board members.

You're right on that one. Every place I've applied to and interviewed with required moving to the local area if hired. Now that is also referencing the Guard side of the house. I interviewed with one Reserve unit, and they don't care where you live, as long as you can attend UTA. They even have a guy living in Holland. My unit currently has a pilot 3 hours away, and one in Michigan; we're in Florida. So it can be done.

As far as bringing your spouse with you, you can bring him/her to whatever base you PCS to for UPT. You have the option of living off-base if you have a pet, as they don't allow many pets on base housing. You can bring him/her on TDY, but not on deployment.