Short tour info

Guest vbguy01

Guest CannonCrashPad

Other than butter's post, thanks for the replies.

I think Butters' reply was actually amazing. By that, I mean that I am truly amazed that he spelled all his words correctly in his response to you. The dude usually writes as though English wasn't his first, second, or third language.

No, I have figured out he is PYB and can't pick on Rainman anymore, so he has a hard on for me now. Either way I don't care, I have a boat, a bonus, and bitches! I also did a real short tour and didn't have to worry about a 365.

ADDED: A 365 with PCS is not a real short tour. A PCS to a short tour with a PCS to your base of choise is a real short your.

di-K5PV.gif

Trying to get my STRD and short tour counter updated has proven more difficult than I thought it would be. Apparently when MilPDS updated in March it broke the ability for IPR to load the deployment info into "the system" and until the software designers fix the problem they (MPF, IPR) can't update my STRD or counter from the base level (whatever that means).

The saga continues. Now, that's progress.

Edited by Homestar

Trying to get my STRD and short tour counter updated has proven more difficult than I thought it would be. Apparently when MilPDS updated in March it broke the ability for IPR to load the deployment info into "the system" and until the software designers fix the problem they (MPF, IPR) can't update my STRD or counter from the base level (whatever that means).

The saga continues. Now, that's progress.

I had a hunch it was the milpds "upgrade" causing problems. Did they give you any idea if there is any hope for that to be fixed in the near future? Sucks because they will continue to dish out 365s regardless of the status of the dreaded "system"

I was told that there is no date for a fix yet.

Edit to add:

I did ask if there was a way to manually update my STRD and counter to show the deployment and it looks like they were able to do that. I think what is broken right now is IPR's ability to load contingency deployments so that they automatically flow into MilPDS. I also think there is no way (due to software design) for AFPC to manually load the deployment either, but they were able to manually update my STRD and counter using my travel voucher from DTS.

Edited by Homestar

I was told that there is no date for a fix yet.

Edit to add:

I did ask if there was a way to manually update my STRD and counter to show the deployment and it looks like they were able to do that. I think what is broken right now is IPR's ability to load contingency deployments so that they automatically flow into MilPDS. I also think there is no way (due to software design) for AFPC to manually load the deployment either, but they were able to manually update my STRD and counter using my travel voucher from DTS.

That's good info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone logged short tour and long tour credit at the same time? I ask because IPR @ CHS is saying that even if you do 300 days TDY in 18 months, if you've also logged 365 in the last 3 years you only get a long tour. I really hope they're wrong.....wouldn't that be the same as telling someone returning from a 365 that they don't get a short tour?

IPR doesn't assign short tour credit. Take your travel vouchers to career management over at the MPF along with the highlighted short tour table and you'll be good to go.

• Upvote 1

Anyone logged short tour and long tour credit at the same time? I ask because IPR @ CHS is saying that even if you do 300 days TDY in 18 months, if you've also logged 365 in the last 3 years you only get a long tour. I really hope they're wrong.....wouldn't that be the same as telling someone returning from a 365 that they don't get a short tour?

I'm working this same issue at the same base, just waiting for my latest deployment to show up to start working the OS credits. AFI 36-2110 clearly states in the credit table (table 3.4) that you get both, which makes sense (I mean, how else can you get short tour credit for 548/3 years)

Edit: MPF works the OS credit, but IPR has to input the deployment into MILPDS, which evidently takes 45 days

Edited by jazzdude

• 4 years later...

Thread revival, back to the original subject...anyone know what short tour assignments (ie, not 365’s off the AEF list) are floating around regularly? My functional is looking to see what’s available (I’m hot for a non-vol 365 as soon as FY19 requirements come out), but wondering what folks know is out there.

Are all of the Korea remotes to Kunson or are there some at Osan?

To my knowledge, Osan still receives short tour credit as long as you don't bring your family command sponsored.  That's probably not a bad way to check this container - you can always bring your family over on your own dime (and you still get OHA).

If you're into NATO and Italian food, look up the DACCC at Poggio Renatico, Italy.  Sits in the middle of motor valley.  Two year accompanied remote because the nearest school for kids is a 1+30 drive.  The USAF presence is significant enough to have a healthy national support element.  It's one of the best ways to punch the short tour box if you're single or you've got a family that can homeschool.  Ferrara is a great little city.  Lambo and Ferrari main factories are a quick trip too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

AFI 36-2110 table 6.6 says you award short tour credit from going CONUS to OS for a period of 300 days within 18 months. I went from US OCONUS to a CENTCOM short tour location that I will be at for 12 months. I get short tour credit, right? I mean the reg says CONUS to OS, and technically I went OCONUS to OS? This isn't some severely messed up loophole I just found myself in where I don't get credit is it? LOL.

If you ever want to gouge your eyes out reading an AFI this is the one.

Also, my Short Tour is a PCS to a CZTE, unaccompanied. Do I get dwell time out of it? I honestly can't make enough sense of 36-2110 to know.  

AFI 36-2110 table 6.6 says you award short tour credit from going CONUS to OS for a period of 300 days within 18 months. I went from US OCONUS to a CENTCOM short tour location that I will be at for 12 months. I get short tour credit, right? I mean the reg says CONUS to OS, and technically I went OCONUS to OS? This isn't some severely messed up loophole I just found myself in where I don't get credit is it? LOL.
If you ever want to gouge your eyes out reading an AFI this is the one.
Also, my Short Tour is a PCS to a CZTE, unaccompanied. Do I get dwell time out of it? I honestly can't make enough sense of 36-2110 to know.  
It'd be worth reaching out to AFPC to ask about your situation. There's also a policy letter at AFPC that isn't published that affects short tour vs long tour credit. I had pieced together enough overseas time TDY from conus to warrant both per the AFI, but AFPC only awards one or the other if your short tour is based on the 300 days/18 months. I had to ask to take the "lesser" award of short tour credit instead of the long tour credit the policy defaulted to.

57 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

It'd be worth reaching out to AFPC to ask about your situation. There's also a policy letter at AFPC that isn't published that affects short tour vs long tour credit. I had pieced together enough overseas time TDY from conus to warrant both per the AFI, but AFPC only awards one or the other if your short tour is based on the 300 days/18 months. I had to ask to take the "lesser" award of short tour credit instead of the long tour credit the policy defaulted to.

I will reach out Monday. I don't care if I get long tour credit. I will have 300+ days unaccompanied short tour within 18 months. 

Per the AFI because I didn't go from "CONUS" to "OS" I wanted to ensure I still get short tour credit. 

Also want to get Dwell time as now it looks to be bumped up to 1:2. That said because this short tour isn't a "deployment" (it's a PCS) I don't know if I get any dwell time. It's pretty unfair to be away from my family for a year in a CZTE country where everyone on a base gets deployment credit. That said I don't live on base, but would gladly if it meant I get 1:2 dwell time.