Baseops Wiki Page

Guest tnny

I was doing a google for something and ended up on one of the TDY gouge pages of your wiki area.

One thing I noticed was that the home page located here>> The baseops wiki page has been vandalized numerous times since the 27th of July 2009 with extensive spam links.

I reverted it back to what appears to be the last good version from last October. I would suggest that someone with admin privileges at a minimum make that page protected so only certain members can edit it. I think it would be safe to assume without the page protection, the spammers would just come back and revert once again to their last spam edits for that page. I did not come across any of the other pages with any vandalism, so at least for the moment it is limited to the home page. Protecting that page would probably solve that problem.

Another thing I noticed, as far as content, there seems to be some outdated information. For example, the Puerto Rico page has extensive information about Rosey Roads Naval Air Station even though this facility closed over five years ago. There is good gouge for the local area that may be useful to visitors to the island, I was wondering the policy for older information. Maybe separate the RR information into a different page of its own for archival purposes?

Hope my suggestions help.

tnny,

Thanks for the catch on the spammers. We had a rash of spam several months back, including a mass PM spam that was dealt with. I'll notify Baseops in case he hasn't already seen this, though I don't know if there's a way to restrict the type of member edit the wiki page.

Another thing I noticed, as far as content, there seems to be some outdated information. For example, the Puerto Rico page has extensive information about Rosey Roads Naval Air Station even though this facility closed over five years ago. There is good gouge for the local area that may be useful to visitors to the island, I was wondering the policy for older information. Maybe separate the RR information into a different page of its own for archival purposes?

Without reminders to get people over there, some of the information tends to get lost relative to the constant updating up the information on this board. If the RR facility is closed, I would recommend just removing the information (I don't see any need to archive it).

• 2 weeks later...

if you are logged on to the forums, you have immediate access to the wiki as an editor. Please continue to contribute and police the data on there.

I was logged in and went to look over the wiki pages, but even logged in I have no edit privileges. Looks like one more new page was created with spam on it. http://www.flyingsquadron.com/wiki/index.php/Talk:Finance_Wiki

No edit capabilities for my account so I couldnt clean it.

Edited by tnny

Thanks for finding the spam links -- they have been removed.

You do not have edit rights because you are a "New User" -- after several posts, you will become a "Registered User" and receive rights to most of the site...

NOTE: some of the formating of the wiki has changed in this latest forums upgrade (font size, carriage returns, etc.) -- we will have to comb through and edit these ourselves...

If the RR facility is closed, I would recommend just removing the information (I don't see any need to archive it).

The Naval base is in fact closed, but it is operating as an international airport by local authorities. I understand it is considered by aircrew as a refuel stop and/or bingo stop for Caribbean ops. The local area info may still be useful to others.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if its my computer or not, but it seems like the page is "down". I get a white screen with nothing on it--all other flyingsquadron.com stuff will come up.

I get same thing. Doesn't seem to be just you.