AF Light Air Support Aircraft

Fud

The 380HLD and MX-15 are within 1/2" of each other in height, per the datasheets on their respective websites.

On the .civ side; the FLIR 380HDc is several inches shorter (specifically configured for under-nose rotary-wing installations), but I don't know if that particular model will support all the capes required for a .mil application.

You'd need something with more balls than a PT6. The most powerful PT6A-series (turboprop) engine is just under 2000hp; the original Wright 3350 was cranking out a little over 2700hp. Sticking with a Pratt, a PW127-series engine is in the ~2700hp range, and other engines in the PW100 family are pushing 5000hp.

I'm actually gonna fly the 380HD tomorrow, interested to see what it offers and how it compares to the Raytheon/Wescam balls. What it really comes down to is focal length, 20" is the new 15" as far as the standard goes. The next gen ISR platform could change the game if done right but will require som forward thinking on the part of leadership.

Cooter

I'm actually gonna fly the 380HD tomorrow, interested to see what it offers and how it compares to the Raytheon/Wescam balls. What it really comes down to is focal length, 20" is the new 15" as far as the standard goes. The next gen ISR platform could change the game if done right but will require som forward thinking on the part of leadership.

Cooter

Hmmm... Makes sense...I've been gone 6 months...might as well have been a decade...

plane_exterior_2015-03-24.jpgSomeone ought to have a conversation with the Jolly community about sensor ball Class-A's.

Crazy enough, that location doesn't bother the ball with the taildragger set up. Two blocks of AT-802s with this pod were sold and the sensors hold up pretty damn well to any debris blowing off of the prop. Nose gear kicks up a lot more. I think I might like it on the wing though, for masking issues.

I can already see the DO screaming at the squadron, "STOP TAXIING OVER THE FREAKIN CABLES!!!"

This thing will taxi anywhere you like, cables included! Short and semi-prep conditions are normal ops for this beast. I agree with the ground loop comment though-big tail draggers are a chore and consume lots of training time that could be spent teaching dudes how to kill bad guys.

That's one heavily armed crop duster.

em-50.png

Yep! It's ridiculous! It's not fast, but when is the last time you had anyone check in to the stack with 12 hell fires and 8 hours play time? That's the niche.

I love it! Looks like the program we were selling to the Yems before that place nose dived. Needs a different location for the sensor though.... And a different sensor. And BLOS off boarding, and data links. But it would do more for our fight of the last and next decade than the 22 or 35!

You'd be surprised about the technology outfitted on this bird, and it's getting better by the day. Datalink and encryption are at the mercy of export laws and customer capes. It could have Link tomorrow with a US buyer. The center pod is handy because it holds a lot of tech and antennas, including the Vortexi, but I would also like to see it somewhere else for masking issues to make operations easier for customers similar to a YAF pilot. Options include the FLIR 380 (though the MX-15Di is awesome), armor, and IRCM set up. Did I mention it has a HUD coupled to a fully integrated weapon computer tied into the color MFD avionics system? For everything we have done in OEF/OIF post 9/11, this thing would've provided a metric shit ton of support, saved US tax payers hundreds of millions, and most importantly, preserved the fleet for a future war where CJs and Mudhens will do something beyond NTISR and permissive CAS- God knows the F-35 won't be there to do it! These are cheap and cost next nothing to operate and maintain.

post-5218-0-16198000-1428979632_thumb.jp

....I agree with the ground loop comment though-big tail draggers are a chore and consume lots of training time that could be spent teaching dudes how to kill bad guys.

Disagree. Taxi/TO/LAND in even a "big" three-pointer wouldn't be any tougher than off the perch in a -38.

Maybe easier considering we trained thousands to successfully fly WWII fighters...with modern sims, the ground loop rate would likely be very close to zero.

Yeah, you're right, the cable wouldn't have anything to kick it up that high, but the prop would throw some serious rocks at it. I suppose you could keep it stowed, but it really should be in a better location.

Tail dragger landings, it's all in the sight picture.

Maybe easier considering we trained thousands to successfully fly WWII fighters...with modern sims, the ground loop rate would likely be very close to zero.

Our fatality and Class-A rate during that training was also astronomical -- not a good example.

Let us know how it goes.

380HD was nice, I'd say it's somewhere between the Raytheon/Wescam but without a true side by side comparison it's thought to tell. It's lighter and has a bit more internal processing going on you can use to clear up haze/etc. would need a one hand controller as there's is a beast, they have one but not on the flight. Really if someone could just nail down the common hand controller you could swap balls with little training issues.

Overall good demo and curious if Anything will come of it.

Cooter

Our fatality and Class-A rate during that training was also astronomical -- not a good example.[/]

We've also trained probably millions of piper cub, maule, Cessna 170/185 etc drivers.

You're right about the Class A rate in WWII, but not all mishaps were due to the aircraft being a tail dragger.

My point only is this: conventional gear configuration isn't THAT difficult, and with modern training sims and methods, would likely not appreciably add to the training timeline or mishap rate.

Not a fan of the xbox controller? I would have thought it'd be super intuitive.

I have used the software defined 360 controller, literally torn out of the package. The FLIR controller is a 360 on steroids, had something like a dozen or more buttons and knobs. I'm a big fan of the one hand use, as SO is one of the many jobs you do simultaneously.

Cooter

• Upvote 1

Here's a no-shit FLIR Systems hand controller from a 380HDc install I worked on last year. There's two triggers where you'd expect them to be, and several additional buttons on the sides:

post-1564-0-64797100-1429065302_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...