Viewing Big 10 football in the south

Guest WXboy

So does anybody know if we can watch the Big 10 or SEC football at deployed locations in SW Asia?

At Salem and The Deid you could get AFN channels in your room, and they carried a handful of games each week. Probably only 2 or 3 live, but you could catch some more during the week. Also the Rec Center (which I am sure now has some awesome name like TREC-AF) had big screens that would show the good games. I saw Texas beat Southern Cal on a movie screen at 4 in the morning in Salem - it was sweet.

But if you are looking to catch Indiana at Northwestern you may be SOL though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Curt2000

The bigger question is why would you want to watch big 10 football when you're now in the land of REAL football- SEC!!! Forget about watching the insignificant and start watching the real deal.

Word...Here in Dayton the OSU fans are insufferable...especially when you hail from the powerhouse conference of the NCAA

I gotta throw my love in for the Big 12. Specifically CU. Maybe we'll have a winning season this year... :banghead:

Guest WXboy

I know back home usually bigger OSU afternoon games were usually shown on ESPN, are they also shown down here or does another game get picked up??

Any one know good sports bars near Keesler to catch some college football this fall?? Appreciate the help!

O.K. If you can't take trash talking on an internet forum?

Now for big 10 and any other inferior conference fans that are at MXF or the south east, please go see an Auburn, Alabama or what ever, game. If I was stationed near any other big NCAA football program I wouldn't pass it up, but I'm in the south and have season tickets to BAMA.

For Michigan fans, thank goodness we didn't get your coach 3 years ago, and for THE Ohio State, I know it's tough loosing to the SEC, because that's usually who we lose to.

I was able to watch the Iron bowl and Sugar bowl last year deployed.

It's not that SEC fans are obnoxious, it's just that we are better than you. Face it, with the exception of Ohio State (but even they get smoked by the SEC), the Big-10 has sucked as of late. Their last hurrah was the title game that they stole from UM due to a blown call, and that was over 7 years ago.

I would go to a bama or auburn game but judging by this forum their fans are obnoxious, so I will pass, I'll go to a real stadium back in Ohio. I found a good site on espn, im sure they will update it once the season rolls around,it is a coverage map of their games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=coveragemaps2008

The IP used to have a sports bar in it. You can probably find all the big games there. If you think Auburn or bama fans are obnoxious- you'll soon be surrounded by truley obnoxious fans at Keesler. LSU fans rank among the worst- they also smell like corndogs.

I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to go to a Auburn, bama or Ole Miss game. Each have a great game day atmosphere.

Guest Curt2000

The IP used to have a sports bar in it. You can probably find all the big games there. If you think Auburn or bama fans are obnoxious- you'll soon be surrounded by truley obnoxious fans at Keesler. LSU fans rank among the worst- they also smell like corndogs.

I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to go to a Auburn, bama or Ole Miss game. Each have a great game day atmosphere.

Being an Auburn Alum, I will say that Auburn fans are pretty laid back and fun...just make sure you aren't wearing a Bama shirt! I wont share my opinion of Alabama fans as I am most likely bias ;) But I agree about the LSU guys...they tend to be unusually hairy and all wear some kind of gold necklace.

Ugh. Ole Miss? Really? Their fans are the biggest bunch of fratastic losers ever. Nobody celebrates mediocrity like Ole' Miss fans.

Some NY Times writer described Ole' Miss Tailgating best:

"It is pimento cheese sandwiches and silver trays, candelabra and fried chicken tenders, button-down shirts, rep ties and khaki shorts..."

If this sounds like a good time, have at it. :rainbow:

Ugh. Ole Miss? Really? Their fans are the biggest bunch of fratastic losers ever. Nobody celebrates mediocrity like Ole' Miss fans.

"It is pimento cheese sandwiches and silver trays, candelabra and fried chicken tenders, button-down shirts, rep ties and khaki shorts..."

If this sounds like a good time, have at it.

Have you been to the Grove on gameday? Talk about talent. Ole Miss has some of the hottest women in the SEC and I believe Playboy even cited that fact in an article. Good scenery makes mediocre football tolerable and shouldn't be missed. Oxford also was also pretty fun for the post game bar scene. I'm just saying, when in Rome....

Can we start making predictions now? 'cause I expect Ole Miss might even end up in ATL in December, if nutt doesn't choke. Florida will beat them in a "closer than expected" game. Florida will end up destroying some weak-ass Big 10 or Big 12 team in the BCS championship.

My Auburn Tigers will suprise a team or two and finish 8-4 or 7-5.

If this sounds like a good time, have at it. :rainbow:

Holy F - that's superhero :rainbow:.

You all know who has the best Tailgating and Party School.

Guest sopinesheel

Is there an SEC school outside of Vandy that gives out anything higher than an associates degree? Just wondering... :moon:

Guest sopinesheel

In all seriousness...if ya'll like talkin southern football check out Southernpigskin.com for ACC, SEC and SoCon talk. Good posted content, columns and chat from a core group of about 30 posters.

Guest WXboy

Is there an SEC school outside of Vandy that gives out anything higher than an associates degree? Just wondering... :moon:

Very, very nice! I've come to realize academics aren't so important down here. I'm sure if N'western, Mich, Penn St, and Purdue lowered their standards they could get some better players, but they realize that they are students first and footballers second. Also I only remember OSU choking in 1 bowl game vs Florida, a huge choke by a team that obviously did not show up to play. LSU was a better team and won outright, although OSU made major mistakes, and Texas was "supposed" to be in the NC game and an "undeserving" OSU team had the lead with 1min to go in the game, yeah I guess that is choking.

I'll define choking a little better: Florida: year after winning the NC losing to a rather mediocre Michigan team in a bowl game the next year, with a heisman. AND keep in mind how many pros OSU has put out in the past 5-10yrs, only schools that rank with us are USC and Miami. AND there are 3 schools that bring in the most $$, they are Mich, OSU and ND(practically in the big10). I think the Big10 is doing just fine. I will NEVER jump on the sec bandwagon like so many have. Where were all these florida fans during the Zook years???

Very, very nice! I've come to realize academics aren't so important down here. I'm sure if N'western, Mich, Penn St, and Purdue lowered their standards they could get some better players, but they realize that they are students first and footballers second. Also I only remember OSU choking in 1 bowl game vs Florida, a huge choke by a team that obviously did not show up to play. LSU was a better team and won outright, although OSU made major mistakes, and Texas was "supposed" to be in the NC game and an "undeserving" OSU team had the lead with 1min to go in the game, yeah I guess that is choking.

I'll define choking a little better: Florida: year after winning the NC losing to a rather mediocre Michigan team in a bowl game the next year, with a heisman. AND keep in mind how many pros OSU has put out in the past 5-10yrs, only schools that rank with us are USC and Miami. AND there are 3 schools that bring in the most $$, they are Mich, OSU and ND(practically in the big10). I think the Big10 is doing just fine. I will NEVER jump on the sec bandwagon like so many have. Where were all these florida fans during the Zook years???

Dont forget where Florida's coach is from...

Whatever makes you feel better.....0-9. (i keed, i keed. Don't take it so personal. It's good natured, and what's the point of football if you can't talk about it without someone crying?)

Edited by slacker

Guest WXboy

Whatever makes you feel better.....0-9. (i keed, i keed. Don't take it so personal. It's good natured, and what's the point of football if you can't talk about it without someone crying?)

Oh no crying here, I have no worries about my team, I will sleep comfortably at night with 7 Nat'l Titles and 7 Heisman trophies sitting in the trophy case, and OSU reloads very well every year. I take it you are an Auburn fan. Keeping this civil, what happened to Tommy? Seemed like he was doing an okay job, not great but not terrible, went undefeated a few years back...

Keeping this civil, what happened to Tommy? Seemed like he was doing an okay job, not great but not terrible, went undefeated a few years back...

I hated to see him go. I imagine he'll be a head coach at a major program before too long. He was a classy guy who ran a clean program.

Oh no crying here, I have no worries about my team, I will sleep comfortably at night with 7 Nat'l Titles and 7 Heisman trophies sitting in the trophy case, and OSU reloads very well every year. I take it you are an Auburn fan. Keeping this civil, what happened to Tommy? Seemed like he was doing an okay job, not great but not terrible, went undefeated a few years back...

Keeping this civil!?! Way to derail this thread.