Work while in college

Guest Demo

Guest Raccoon

After graduating High School I decided to take a year off from school and get a job so I can pay off my college tuition. Currently I work as a contractor for a small firm, it's a 6 days a week, 9-10 hours a day job. I realize once I start college next year there is no way I will be able to keep this job and still have time to study. I would like to know from you college graduates, what kind of jobs did you hold that didn't keep you too much from books and studying? I'll need at least $300-$350 a week so what would you suggest I look into?

[ 07. November 2004, 15:14: Message edited by: Raccoon ]

I graduate in May, but I've held at least one job (up to three during one semester) throughout my college career.

I'm a comp sci major and all of the jobs I've had were related to that. Some IT and some programming. In either case, these jobs helped me in school because I got to put what I learned into real practice.

That being said, if you can find something in a field that is related to your major you will help your studies by practicing what you've been taught. I'm sure everybody will have something different to say, but as you've noted you don't want to get too far away from your books.

On a related note -- I've found it best to try and work for a smaller, more personal company. They will often be more willing to give you days off to study for tests and/or leave early on some days. I did work for UPS for a semester and my manager was very willing to let me go for whole days sometimes to study... It will help you apply for a job as an intern and let them know that you are a college student (remind them if necessary) and they will work with you.

In all cases, be very upfront about your schedule during the interview process and throughout. When you tell them your availability at the beginning you obviously want to be competitive, but you have to be realistic. If you are taking a full load of classes and will need at least 5 hrs a week to study, figure that in where you need it. Also (very important) if you have to drive some distance to work, make sure you figure that in as well. You don't want to miss a big test or assignment due date because you had to drive 45 mins from work.

In that same thread, I know many a college student who got jobs on campus so they were never too far away. And obviously these jobs realize you're a student and will work with you.

Sorry for being long winded. Hope that helps. I know money is a big issue for a lot of people out there, but you have to always have your priorities straight. You have to go to class and do well. One of my roommates is a work-a-holic and will be entering his 7th year (for his BS STILL) because he's done so poorly in classes. Especially if you're wanting to be in AF, keep your grades up. #1 priority.

If money is still an issue once you do get a job... Remember, you're in college. Learn to live like a poor person. My freshman year I literally ate PB&J sandwiches and crackers to save cash. gotta love it.

[ 07. November 2004, 15:33: Message edited by: UPT-hopeful ]

Guest Ragansundowner

Along the lines of what UPT-hopeful said about working in the field of your major. I worked in a research lab for one of my professors. At first I was just doing basic lab help stuff, but as I became more experienced in my major I was allowed to run full experiments by myself. I was lucky in that my lab research position was paid, some aren't. It's definitely worth looking into though.

-R.S.

Raccoon

I personally work at a local airport in Topeka, so do some other dudes on this board (yes they even let short, friendly Mexicans work at airports). I think that it is a great opportunity to learn a little about aviation, even if it is civilian. You'll find that you can pick up alot just by being there. Usually the hours are pretty flexible, pay should be alright, and they might even offer employee discounts on rentals and instruction. You should be able to find a local one by searching through some of the links on baseops.net. Let me know if you have any questions.

-ElRoy

I also work at my local airport. I am a Gulfstream detailer. Some of the advantages of my job are good pay, extremely flexible hours, and best of all, you meet a lot of cool people with really cool planes that are happy to take you up and give you safety pilot time. I used to work 30-40 hours a week at Target while taking 16 hours of school. That was definitely not the best choice to make. My advice is to find something that is flexible above all else. That way you don't have to miss activities and important stuff because of work.

I would have to agree with sbrewer. I decided to do that my senior year and I don't have room to tell you how much fun I had. The first three years of college I had a job with the university working for the athletic department. I got into all the games free and got all kinds of free gear from Nike. If our football team had been any good I would have been able to go to a bowl game with them, but unfortunately, we sucked.

I worked 40+ hrs/wk during every semester of my Physics degree. Not to mention, my wife and I had our first child while I was a freshman, my second while a senior and we were pregnant with our third when I graduated.

Let me make this crystal clear: I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT! I don't regret a minute, but my GPA suffered and it took longer than I wanted it to.

None the less, I'm done, which means it can be done. Lesson: Don't let reality mess with your dreams.

Good Luck!

-------------

Wxpunk

Guest NoseArtGal

I agree with the guys that say "forget the job" and just concentrate on school and having a good time. A contracting job sounds like it pays ok but I've always thought about breaking it down in man hours. How much are you getting paid per hour for that college job? How much will you get paid once commissioned? How long will it take to pay off those loans?

I think the calculation usually shows that it's much more worth your time to take a loan and pay it off when you're making good money in the military. You won't even miss those loan repayments. And your college time is extremely valuable. Enjoy yourself...there will be time to work later. If you have extra time...devote it to ROTC and getting the assignment you want.

That being said, I did work a couple jobs in college for a time. I had a programming job for a year and I worked as an undercover loss prevention guy at the mall for a bit. But mostly I didn't work, racked up some loans, and have had no trouble paying them off. This was when I took off a semester to make myself recat into the next year (as I heard there were going to be more pilot slots...a decision that worked for me).

I know everybody has different situations. Just my two cents.