New Fitness Rules

nsplayr

15 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Me and my artificial hip came across the finish line at 10:16 with Brad about 20" behind me.

In my mid/late 30s I had completed several full Ironman races, was in Ironman shape, and could still only run a 10:20. /endhumblebrag.  Your 10:16 is an outlier time, and I commend you for your old man fitness.  Yes, it felt great to lap kids half my age, but I, for one, welcome my old man 40+ fitness chart! 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Push-ups, pull-ups, 1.5 run, waist.  

And they really believe this test accurately tells them anything about what physical condition someone is in?  As a business practice, is the investment in dollars and resources worth the data we get from the "fitness program"?  

A month before I turned 50, I did my mandatory PT test with one of my best friends, who was 47.  Of the other 7 in your PT group, one was early 30's, and the other 6 were early 20's.  

Me and my artificial hip came across the finish line at 10:16 with Brad about 20" behind me.  We stood there and heckled the other 7 with shouts of "old guys rule!"  Most of them were sucking wind.  I lapped one of them twice.  

While this is only one indicator, it was obvious that these kids in their early 20's were lethargic.  But was anything productive done with this data now that they were identified?  Or was the time away from work, and the money spent on the salary for the full-time civilian monitor with the expensive AED heart-attack-restart box worth it?  

I appears to be such a monumental circle-jerk that we simply couldn't improve during my 28 years in.  

I was a flt/cc is a squadron that was half enlisted aircrew. The amount of young kids that failed PT tests was surprising. Many of them were pretty thin dudes that I would have thought  wouldn’t have had issues. They just didn’t care or didn’t want to put the effort into physical training. 

On another note, a got a brief last week from a new program AFSOC/SOCOM is standing up later this year. It’s going to be a staff of physical trainers, physical therapists, dietitians, dedicated to only aircrew. They are suppose to have their own gym, and biometric equipment for analysis of improvements.  Any aircrew on base can walk in and get help, and their services are suppose to be oriented to help aircrew better operate in their crew position. Having back issues being in the seat? Expect them to help get you on a training program to strengthen back muscles and focus on making it more comfortable. They were getting fam rides on the jets to become more familiar with our operating environment to better help us.  I walked in late but it sounded pretty awesome. It’s based off what the Army/Navy have for their spec ops teams, and the money is from SOCOM, so for now it’s only going to be a AFSOC thing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, viper154 said:

I was a flt/cc is a squadron that was half enlisted aircrew. The amount of young kids that failed PT tests was surprising. Many of them were pretty thin dudes that I would have thought  wouldn’t have had issues. They just didn’t care or didn’t want to put the effort into physical training. 

On another note, a got a brief last week from a new program AFSOC/SOCOM is standing up later this year. It’s going to be a staff of physical trainers, physical therapists, dietitians, dedicated to only aircrew. They are suppose to have their own gym, and biometric equipment for analysis of improvements.  Any aircrew on base can walk in and get help, and their services are suppose to be oriented to help aircrew better operate in their crew position. Having back issues being in the seat? Expect them to help get you on a training program to strengthen back muscles and focus on making it more comfortable. They were getting fam rides on the jets to become more familiar with our operating environment to better help us.  I walked in late but it sounded pretty awesome. It’s based off what the Army/Navy have for their spec ops teams, and the money is from SOCOM, so for now it’s only going to be a AFSOC thing. 

There are a couple ANG/AFRC units out there that have something similar to focus on the physical challenges specific to flying. It’s not a bad idea, interested in how it works out for AFSOC. 

Edited by SurelySerious

3 hours ago, viper154 said:

It’s going to be a staff of physical trainers, physical therapists, dietitians, dedicated to only aircrew. They are suppose to have their own gym, and biometric equipment for analysis of improvements.  Any aircrew on base can walk in and get help, and their services are suppose to be oriented to help aircrew better operate in their crew position. Having back issues being in the seat? Expect them to help get you on a training program to strengthen back muscles and focus on making it more comfortable. They were getting fam rides on the jets to become more familiar with our operating environment to better help us.

That's the first intelligent fitness-related development I've seen from the USAF since 1991.

As a fighter back-injury-sufferer, I could've used a little of that rather than "take some Motrin and get on the flying schedule next week".

• Like 1

It's called POTF in AFSOC and some Rescue squadrons.  We get a trainer, physical therapist, social worker, and in some places a nutritionist.  Some squadrons have better luck than others getting dedicated gym/workout areas close to sq building.  In my experience that last few years with it, its great for the guys/gals who already worked out.  The hard part is getting the folks who didn't get involved.  

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

It's called POTF in AFSOC and some Rescue squadrons.  We get a trainer, physical therapist, social worker, and in some places a nutritionist.  Some squadrons have better luck than others getting dedicated gym/workout areas close to sq building.  In my experience that last few years with it, its great for the guys/gals who already worked out.  The hard part is getting the folks who didn't get involved.  

From what I gathered the HRT program was getting a bunch of money for its own equipment/space. Not sure what the program was called, I walked in rather late.

To be clear, POTFF does a wide range of things for members and families, similar ish to the family readiness center, but their pot of money comes from SOCOM. Not sure if this aircrew program was associated with POTFF or not. 

Take advantage of those programs and don’t try to rub some dirt on it and get back out there. I’ve got constant neck and back pain that has gotten significantly better by talking to the people mentioned above. At Hurlburt, it was the same guys that work with the STS folks and they helped me a good bit. It was simple stuff to help strengthen certain muscles and get others into balance. It’s worth it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigred said:

So what is the current pt testing policy? Get tested in the squadron or is there an office at the base gym the runs it?

Gym still runs a program, but squadrons can opt to have it run internally.

20 hours ago, viper154 said:

To add some extra detail about those army programs (from a former army guy and also a DoD civ contractor who worked near one) those programs later transformed into what is now called an AWC. They are run by civilians and they contract allows them to see any uniformed members in any compo. So if you are near and army base that has one, stop by and they will put you through an assessment. It won't be geared towards your specific job necessarily, but think of them as case workers and they should be able to listen and tailor their recommendations appropriately.

https://p3.amedd.army.mil/my-army-wellness-center/locations

Edited by JustHangingOut

Push-ups, pull-ups, 1.5 run, waist.  
And they really believe this test accurately tells them anything about what physical condition someone is in?  As a business practice, is the investment in dollars and resources worth the data we get from the "fitness program"?  

While this is only one indicator, it was obvious that these kids in their early 20's were lethargic.  But was anything productive done with this data now that they were identified?  Or was the time away from work, and the money spent on the salary for the full-time civilian monitor with the expensive AED heart-attack-restart box worth it?  
I appears to be such a monumental circle-jerk that we simply couldn't improve during my 28 years in.  

This

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/08/07/the-no-harm-no-foul-pt-test-air-force-considering-practice-examinations-to-lessen-stress/
AF is considering letting you choose if the score counts. If you failed, and you’re not overdue, it’s ‘practice.’
He "hopes to have it done before he retires in Fall 2020". SMH

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon guys and gals... y'all need to step it up because finishing 2nd to the Navy is humiliating.  

Especially deployed, the chow hall food is free... so eat until you're tired, and sleep until you're hungry.  We should be able to hit 25+% in no time.  

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/09/03/this-branch-takes-the-cake-as-the-us-militarys-fattest/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

C'mon guys and gals... y'all need to step it up because finishing 2nd to the Navy is humiliating.  
Especially deployed, the chow hall food is free... so eat until you're tired, and sleep until you're hungry.  We should be able to hit 25+% in no time.  
https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/09/03/this-branch-takes-the-cake-as-the-us-militarys-fattest/

Fit to float...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cragspider said:

about time that they hold CC’s responsible for the overall fitness of the unit.  

I think you'll rue the day Trebek you said that.  If a CC is getting graded on your PT test, that incentivizes him to have more mandatory fun runs, unit PT, mock PT tests, etc.  If I'm a CC getting called on the carpet about your 69 failing score, I'm at least going to have documented all of my efforts to fix you.

Edited by nunya
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, nunya said:

I think you'll rue the day Trebek you said that.  If a CC is getting graded on your PT test, that incentives him to have more mandatory fun runs, unit PT, mock PT tests, etc.  If I'm a CC getting called on the carpet about your 69 failing score, I'm at least going to have documented all of my efforts to fix you.

Isn’t there some AFI that says AF members should be given time during the duty day for PT? I have never seen that actually happen in a fighter squadron or in a UPT squadron. Maybe this will lead to folks actually given time, during the duty day, for PT? BWAHAHAHA! Yeah right, I know, fat chance (get it, FAT chance)! I crack me up.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Merle Dixon said:

Isn’t there some AFI that says AF members should be given time during the duty day for PT? I have never seen that actually happen in a fighter squadron or in a UPT squadron. Maybe this will lead to folks actually given time, during the duty day, for PT? BWAHAHAHA! Yeah right, I know, fat chance (get it, FAT chance)! I crack me up.

Yep.  When they changed the scoring last time, they changed "shall" to "should" and effectively eliminated PT from the duty day.

Long time lurker... but this one brings me out of the shadows...

This is 100% no bueno.  Just like nunya said, the shoeclerks and careerist commanders are going to be all over this. 

Mandatory Fun Runs... check. 

Never Ending Worthless Sq PT... check. 

Even More Qweep for the Sq whipping boys (ADOs) to track... check. 

More group punishment for "one more moron failing"... check.

Imagine the Group Commander meetings... "Sorry Joe, I know you're SQ is hacking the mish, picking up for the other SQs, and have all your evals in on time... but another one of your loads/LTs failed their PT test by one situp.  I can no longer trust your leadership... you're fired."

I'm all for whipping the chunkers into shape... but Jesus... this will suck for your average dude/dudette.  

/Direct.

3 hours ago, Skitzo said:

Are squadron commanders failing fitness tests and not getting fired? I thought that was standard procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've known a few that have played the profile game. When they do everyone knows it and he/she loses credibility to discipline PT failures. 

I do think this is a good change though. We have to go back to allowing people to work out during duty hours. Its unreasonable to expect someone with a wife and 2 kids to pull 10 hour days and then spend another 90 minutes a night at the gym. 

• Upvote 2

I've known a few that have played the profile game. When they do everyone knows it and he/she loses credibility to discipline PT failures. 
I do think this is a good change though. We have to go back to allowing people to work out during duty hours. Its unreasonable to expect someone with a wife and 2 kids to pull 10 hour days and then spend another 90 minutes a night at the gym. 

You only work 10/day?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/18/2019 at 8:45 AM, nunya said:

I think you'll rue the day Trebek you said that.  If a CC is getting graded on your PT test, that incentivizes him to have more mandatory fun runs, unit PT, mock PT tests, etc.  If I'm a CC getting called on the carpet about your 69 failing score, I'm at least going to have documented all of my efforts to fix you.

Exactly.  This will just make it more painful for those who maintain physical standards in the squadron.

That’s being said, If you are an able bodied 20-30 year old, you have zero excuse for failing the test.  Most airmen in my squadron that fail just don’t care.