Booze Talk

B*D*A

Don't forget about loose women, fine cigars, and fast airplanes.

Speaking of cigars - anybody into them? I have been dabbling over the past year and have learned a lot about the different types, brands, etc. The cigar field is kind of like the wine or whiskey realm - thousands of different brands, tastes, vintages, blends, etc. It's a pretty interesting hobby.

Speaking of cigars - anybody into them? I have been dabbling over the past year and have learned a lot about the different types, brands, etc. The cigar field is kind of like the wine or whiskey realm - thousands of different brands, tastes, vintages, blends, etc. It's a pretty interesting hobby.

Yes! I'm in the same boat. I have just been ordering samplers and stuff online to try different brands. I don't really feel like I can tell all the little differences between different cigars like some people can, but I am aquiring more of a taste for it.

:beer:

I am not expert. Similar to wine, I can't quite taste the "hits of peach, ginger, etc." but I sure as hell know that a habano wrapped Rocky Patel Edge will likely knock me on my ass versus some of my favorite, lighter/smoother ones like the CAO Gold, Carlos Torano Casa Torano, etc. I am basically honing out which types I like (full, medium, mild) and then honing in on a dozen or so brands. For heavier, full stomach smokes, I really like the Montecristo classic (still don't think it is worth the cost, but I got a decent deal on a box if petite coronas from Costco, of all places) and the Padilla Miami. Otherwise, I stick to mostly lighter ones.

Let me know if you figure out what you like, of what overall categories of sticks you like.

Oh, and to stick with the theme of this thread - nothing beats a Cohiba (Cuban) Siglo with a nice 15 Balvenie or 18 Macallen - neat.

Don't shoot me for saying this....

A friend of mine who is a scotch fiend pointed me towards Costco's Kirkland Signature Scotch, all Speyside 16,17,18 years limited release. I'll be damned, it was good. Check out the reviews online, and honestly who wouldn't want to buy some scotch at a place you could get your oil changed and buy a half ton of king crab legs and rib eyes.

Cheers!

The above post wasn't a joke.

Feel like I need to throw that out there.

Yeah, there was an article in a magazine (might have been the Costco magazine) about their scotch and the good reviews it got. Too bad our Costco doesn't sell liquor. I was very close to buying their ale/lager sampler case, though. I have no reservations with buying "fine" stuff like booze from the Kirkland brand.

I finally got to try one of the fine oak Macallans when my cousin got a bottle of 15.

I had read that the clearer, fine oak line was not as popular as the more ubiquitous sherry oak because it was not as smooth. I didn't think so. It was definitely different from the red Macallans, but it was still very smooth, flavorful and very drinkable. And it went well with a CAO Gold Vintage cigar, too.

post-1758-0-14577200-1360687971_thumb.jp

I am not expert. Similar to wine, I can't quite taste the "hits of peach, ginger, etc." but I sure as hell know that a habano wrapped Rocky Patel Edge will likely knock me on my ass versus some of my favorite, lighter/smoother ones like the CAO Gold, Carlos Torano Casa Torano, etc. I am basically honing out which types I like (full, medium, mild) and then honing in on a dozen or so brands. For heavier, full stomach smokes, I really like the Montecristo classic (still don't think it is worth the cost, but I got a decent deal on a box if petite coronas from Costco, of all places) and the Padilla Miami. Otherwise, I stick to mostly lighter ones.

Let me know if you figure out what you like, of what overall categories of sticks you like.

Oh, and to stick with the theme of this thread - nothing beats a Cohiba (Cuban) Siglo with a nice 15 Balvenie or 18 Macallen - neat.

Sounds like you know more than me! I do know that some of my favorites so far have been Oliva and Gurkha. I think I have had a Rocky Patel or two that I really enjoyed too. I also have a few Cuban Romeo y Julliettas that I scored in Mexico left... I like those a lot as well. My little desktop humidor is getting kind of sparse so I think I will order some more samplers pretty soon. Maybe I can narrow it down a bit.

Really the only cigars I have had that I really did not like were a ziplock bag of about 6 that I bought from a little booth on the street in Mexico for like $10 and brought back... I remember last summer I was up on a ladder smoking one while fixing a flood light on my garage and suddenly I felt like I was about to tip over! Maybe they were laced with some kind of 'bonus'.

I'm getting pretty good at recognizing the smaller differences in beer and coffee; I guess cigars are next on the list. Wine and liquor I still don't really know anything.

Oliva O series- try the V if you like a darker smoke, also made by the Oliva family is the Nub, its short and does not look like much, but it will burn for at least a good 1.5 hours, never have had a bad smoke from Oliva, sweeter smoke is the Drew Estate Natural Irish Hops, I am cautious of CAO, I have had batches of their cigars that are sh#t, and some that are top quality. Alec Bradley also makes some quality smokes.

• 2 months later...

Just ordered it from www.masterofmalt.com (Great website) shipping is spendy but by the sound of the review here; less than the big time expensive stuff. total: $84.26....thanks Coasta!

I would buy another bottle for that price. I shared some with my neighbor and he said he'd never tasted anything like it and started making a play for the other bottle I have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/our-flavors#product_id=1096

Scotchy scotch scotch.

We don't know how to put this but this flavor is kinda of a big deal. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it "Scotchy Scotch Scotch". Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago. Stay Classy, From all of us at Ben & Jerry's.

• 4 months later...

Is there a general consensus on what the best scotch (available in the States) for under $100 is?

No. All about personal preference.

That being said, Oban 14yr, Macallan and Balvenie 15yr are excellent options IMHO. Raise your cap above $100 and the options become even more glorious.

Holly cow - there are so many choices for great whiskey under 100 it's ridiculous. Current fav is actually Irish -- Redbreast 12 (or 15). In my current rotation (all under 100) that I would definitely recommend (in no particular order): Bunnahabhain Darach Ur, Tomintoul 16, Glenfarcas 105 Cask Strength (f-ing fantastic), Bushmills Black Bush (great Irish daily grinder), Blanton's Single Barrel Special Reserve (exceptionally good for Manhattons). If you find the Glenfarcas 105 get it - at 120 proof you wouldn't know it till the second dram - my go-to this winter on a cold evening - chewy, thick, and fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of Speyside scotch, Aberlour's A'bunadh is spectacular. Not sure what it's bringing in the states, but in the UK it's £35. If you can find it, Glenmorrangie has a run called Quinta Ruban that's also reasonable and great.

An Irish and more expensive but should be under $100: Yellow Spot. The Green Spot was mentioned earlier in the thread. Google it and go find it. You're welcome.

In anticipation of St Patty's I picked up a bottle of Bushmills 16 at the ETAR Brit Store today (38 Euro). Single malt aged in bourbon, sherry and port casks. Wow! On the scale of damn good to f-ing excellent I give it a f-ing really damn great.

Price point/value to quality is outstanding. Nose is awesome. Smooth and enjoyable. The tri-wood casking is working for me. I've been liking Irish whiskeys lately and this works in spades. Definitely worth adding to any collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk