Booze Talk

B*D*A

Following the recommendations on the board, and a long day at work, I bought a bottle of sailor jerry's and just drank a glass on the rocks. Fantastic. Hard to believe it's 92 proof . . .

You and me both - I'm sailing tonight myself. (So everyone can probably ignore any other posts that I may, or may not make tonight...) Smooth, with just a little bit of cherry flavor. After two years at Torrejon in the early 90's (what a crazy, yet blurry tour that was) I seem to be able to drink rum like water...

Was surprised to see that our local country ABC store here in NC carries Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea (with a free t-shirt) but passed on that one.

Also surprised to see Absinthe (http://www.absente.com/) here in the US. The last time I had any was also back in Madrid during those TJ days. Sometimes I can't believe we even survived...

Mike

Rum - Havana Club; Only available where Cuban Cigars are also sold.

How the hell did I forget to mention Havana Club? I just had some earlier this week...

FINALLY...something I know. I'm a minor Scotch Whisky (Notice...no E fellas) Connoisseur and collector, minor in that I have a separate insurance policy for my collection. Yeah try explaining to your wife it's an investment. Alright here goes:

Islay - Lagavulin 16 (There is no better spirit on this planet for 50% the population, the other half absolutely hat it. You have to like peat/smoke and it's won the gold at the WWA's for Is lay's for the last...well it's been a long time running.)

Island non-Islay - Talisker 18 (30 or 25 if you want to spend the cash, and yes it's worth it.). Highland Park's are also phenomenal though.

Highland - Glenmorangie New releases (D'Or/La'Santa/etc.). They are doing innovative and interesting things with whisky since ownership has changed over. macallan's are always at the top though.

Lowland - I don't drink many of these but just got Auchentoshan Three Wood that was fantastic. Very smooth like Lagavulin.

Campbeltown - Springbank or so I hear. Don't drink many of these.

Funny thing is my everyday drinker is good ole Mr. Beam. Best Bourbon for the buck and taste. Sweet and flavorful.

Beer: Let the spears fly but I think Fat Tire tastes like old dishwater run through a babies diaper...with a burnt hair garnish. Sorry can't stand it. Make it a Bud.

Cooter

P.S. Yeah I'm enjoying some Mr. Beam tonight as well why I work on a rib dry rub...any suggestions fire'em my way, I've got a BBQ competition to win in a month.

Following the recommendations on the board, and a long day at work, I bought a bottle of sailor jerry's and just drank a glass on the rocks. Fantastic. Hard to believe it's 92 proof . . .

P.S. Yeah I'm enjoying some Mr. Beam tonight as well why I work on a rib dry rub...any suggestions fire'em my way, I've got a BBQ competition to win in a month.

I used to over-flavor my meat (sts) but now I like to just use a mixture of garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parsley and then pour a little beer over it a few times once it starts turning dark brown. Works well on beef but my favorite is a big hunk of elk tenderloin. To introduce a little smoky flavor I like to put some apple or hickory wood on top of the charcoal. Now that's some good eatin.

Beer: Black Butte Porter, Raging Rhino Red (Steelhead Brewery in Oregon), Newcastle, Guiness, Kronenbourg, Anchor Steam and a few others. If you happen to be up in Spokane for some reason the Steamplant has some good beers, especially their Huckleberry Beer (and I don't usually like fruit in beer!)

I'm making a dry rub tonight (STS) on some baby backs. I use paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, onion salt, and a little bit of black pepper. Sometimes I'll throw in a little garlic for a little bit different taste. And if we are in the mood for something really sweet I'll glaze the top of the rack with honey (the ribs.. or whatever else may be appropriate.....) The key is mixing it all in the proper proportions.

Guest AlphaSigOU

Beer: Almost anything German (Bitburger Pils, Warsteiner, etc.); in fact almost any beer in the world except for Budmilloors. (But I never turn down free :beer: !)

Rum: Someone call for the Captain? My bar's also stocked with Pusser's British Navy Rum and a carefully-rationed bottle of Havana Club.

Vodka: Stoli, Smirnoff.

Bourbon: Maker's Mark.

Whisky: A good single-malt Scotch, like The Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and blends such as J&B, Vat 69 and the Famous Grouse.

On the favorites: Jack Black, Jeremiah Weed, and lots of Texas wine! (hic!)

Beer: Old Style or Schlitz. No joke. Schlitz was voted best cheap beer in America about ten years ago - cheap beer being bud, miller and coors. Besides, you can't beat a nickel glass of Old Style from the tap in any of the 10,000,000 bars in Wisconsin. Trust me. In fact, I'm boiling brats in OS right now...

7 or 8 on Sailor Jerry's.

My favorite is a Canadian whiskey is an out of production blend called "Order of Merit." Aged either 15 or 16 years, depending, it is up there with Crown Royal Reserve. If anybody comes across a bottle, snag it and I'll buy it from you. Look on the 'never sells shelf' in smaller Mom n' Pop liqour stores. Currently have 9.5 bottles, gonna have to try to time running out with pulling a coronary down the road.

Bourbon: Woodford Reserve.

Edited by brickhistory

• 1 month later...

Beer: Bud Diesel

Rum: Either Sailor Jerry or Appleton. Had a reeeeaaaal bad night with the Captain in college and can't even stand the smell of it anymore.

Vodka: Goose all the way

Bourbon: Jimmy

Whisky: Jacky (Canada can go fvck themselves)

Dip: Skoal Mint long cut, but only after having a few losing years with Kodiak Wintergreen. And I have to agree with Discus. I spent way too many years working construction to spit. If you can't gut it, you should give up.

Misc.: Weed (of course), and as just a side note: had more than one vodka Redbull for the first time in my life last weekend in Austin. Over and over again. Gallons of it. Got 5 hours of sleep the entire weekend, smashed my Blackberry (against the Hilton, on purpose, because it back-talked me), fell asleep in a river, ordered $40 of pizza of which I didn't have a bite, told a girl with braces that she had "shit" in her teeth, and woke up with next to what I thought was a mermaid, but turned out to be a manatee. Never... EVER... again.

Ahhh that Austin Hilton - the stage of countless weekends of sheer tomfoolery during pilot training.

Memories.

Debauchery and bafoonery at their finest. Plus Death Metal Pizza. It's hard to stay civilizied with a combination like that.

Guest iagra

Sounds like we've got the liquor, beer, and wine pretty much covered . . . I second Vertigo's choice of Penfold's Bin 5 Cab-Sav - awesome!

I'm not a dip man, but how about cigars?

Current favorites aging in the humidor: Bolivar, Gurkha Regents & Cedaro's, Hoyo De Monterey Excalibur 1066 (consistent . . . everytime perfect draw, burn, and taste), CAO Criollo, Aurora 1495, Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary, La Gloria Cubana maduro, Cusano 18 year old's, and some other damn fine ones.

Nothing better than good beer/whiskey and good cigars.

Back home in Colorado Springs for leave, hit up my favorite beer/wine store, Coaltrain, and found their new isle of beer 'bombers'. Like a kid in a candy store!!! Never had anything from Ommegang, so I picked up their Abby Dubbel. 8.5% and deeeeeeeeeeelicous.

post-3018-12490165701_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I'm taking on Rouge's Double Dead Guy Ale.

Edited by contraildash

Back home in Colorado Springs for leave, hit up my favorite beer/wine store, Coaltrain, and found their new isle of beer 'bombers'. Like a kid in a candy store!!! Never had anything from Ommegang, so I picked up their Abby Dubbel. 8.5% and deeeeeeeeeeelicous.

Props to Ommegang for bringing some Belgian-style flavor to a US microbrewery. Their Rare Vos is OK as well. New Belgium did it too, but their Abbey and Trippel seem a little harsh to me (esp. the latter).

For my choices:

Beer: Orval, Rodenbach, La Fin du Monde or St. Feuillien for fancy drinking, Henry Weinhard's for everyday. Wish I could find Henry's around here.

Vodka: Stolichnaya all the way. Pinnacle in a pinch.

Rum: Capt. Morgan Private Stock

Wine: Whichever Monterey County variety is cheap that day. They're mostly OK.

I once had an nav I was evaluating give me a 12-pack of Rolling Rock Green Light on his tac checkride. I said, "Green Light, I get it. Pretty clever huh?" but he hadn't even realized the connection. And yes, I drank that swill. It was free, wasn't it?

Current favorites aging in the humidor: Bolivar, Gurkha Regents & Cedaro's, Hoyo De Monterey Excalibur 1066 (consistent . . . everytime perfect draw, burn, and taste), CAO Criollo, Aurora 1495, Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary, La Gloria Cubana maduro, Cusano 18 year old's, and some other damn fine ones.

I really like Padron and Padilla as well. They have some decent variety in very good quality.

Tomorrow I'm taking on Rouge's Double Dead Guy Ale.

Rouge + Colorado = I hate you...a lot. :thumbsup:

Wish I could find Henry's around here.

Didn't see any HWPR while there, but I highly recommend English Ales -- the brewery is in Marina, but you can get it pretty much anywhere around the Peninsula and parts of the Bay Area.

Guest spottsar

Beer: Craft: Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout Mass-made: Sierra Nevada

Bourbon: Woodford

Vodka: Stoli or Smirnoff... as good as the Goose, which is nothing but marketing schemes

Gin: Citadelle

Rum: had a buddy share some Gosling's Family Reserve a few weeks ago... WOW. If i'm not spending $60/bottle... Appleton's if it's the clear stuff, Private Stock if it's darker

Tequila: NO THANKS. Just the smell makes me sick.

I really like Padron and Padilla as well. They have some decent variety in very good quality.

Rouge + Colorado = I hate you...a lot. :thumbsup:

I don't blame you.

Finished my Double Dead Guy earlier..not as hoppy as I expected overall it was good stuff.

post-3018-124910877804_thumb.jpg

Currently sipping on some Extase XO Cognac & Orange for a night cap (raided the old man's wine room)

Hate me some more...

I'm going up to Ft. Collins tomorrow for a brewery tour:

Anheuser-Busch (never been to a huge brewery, brewing lager on a large scale is quite impressive to me)

Ft. Collins Brewery (they make a good chocolate stout, but it's summer)

O'Dell Brewing (Levity Ale and Cutthroat Porter...mmmm)

New Belguim Brewery (I want that damn bike of theirs)

Then Rockbottom for dinner and more beer.

...and to think, I'll be living in Germany the next three years. Life is good.

Edited by contraildash

I'm going up to Ft. Collins tomorrow for a brewery tour:

Anheuser-Busch (never been to a huge brewery, brewing lager on a large scale is quite impressive to me)

Ft. Collins Brewery (they make a good chocolate stout, but it's summer)

O'Dell Brewing (Levity Ale and Cutthroat Porter...mmmm)

New Belguim Brewery (I want that damn bike of theirs)

I have had O'Dell's before but went on a brewery tour (all the places you listed minus AB) in Ft. Collins while at IFS. I have to say that everything that I had at O'Dell's was great, espacially the IPA I had. I love most of New Belgium beer too. While there, you can get a tray with like 6 different good size samples of their beer (for free!). If anyone is ever in the the area, definitely go check these places out.

• 3 months later...

So typically you can get half decent beer at the class six for fairly cheap. Well I didn't feel like driving to base to get beer last night so I hit up the local German beverage store for the first time. I expected to pay an arm and a leg since the Euro is kicking our butt. Not so! Talk about heaven! I picked up two cases of beer for €30 or around $45. So whats the big deal? Well thats 40 1/2 liter bottles of fresh beer...so just over $1 a beer. Sorry class six...ya got nothing on this shit!