ROTC Detachment Rankings

Guest txfootball

Guest tenguFlyer
Are complete AFROTC Detachment rankings posted somewhere?

Rankings? What do you mean rankings?

All AFROTC dets considered the same. One is not better than the other. Don't worry about what detachment is ranked higher when choosing schools. Detachments aren't ranked and the result of finishing them is all the same, you become a 2Lt. They do this to give you the liberty to choose anywhere you want to persue your education. (Almost anywhere anyway)

Guest txfootball

I know they give out the Right of Line award to the best small, medium and large detachment. I am just wondering if the complete ranking of all 144 is published some where.

Dont worry about rankings of dets. Instead, itd be better to worry about rankings of schools and the education you get. As far as dets go, you should consider what youd rather have as far as size goes. Smaller dets offer a different experience from the larger ones.

Guest tenguFlyer

To put it bluntly, the det you go to isnt going to get you your pilot slot. Not being a retard and working for it will though. From what I know about Detachment awards they are not specifically awarded based on detachment success/failure and I don't believe there is a ranking for them.

Yes - that is a real award... if I recall correctly it is on the regional and then a different one on the national level. The cadets at the det dont get a ribbon or medal for it, it's just a plaque and an article in the school paper

Yes - the dets are racked and stacked on multiple different criteria

No - You will not find this list publicly as it was already stated it shouldn't matter to you when you choose your school.

Personal Experience.... I went to a det that has been on both the bad boy and good boy list in the eyes of HQ while I was there. I didnt notice a difference at either point in time and now that I have my degree I am out doing what I really wanted to do when I showed up in the first place. Hard work + Good Grades + Being Involved = Success. Note the lack of det ranking in the formula...

*edit for clarity

Edited by Chutdoggin

What is this then?

http://csufresno.edu/afrotc/news/index.shtml

I am not arguing, just asking questions to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks again

You do realize that award is complete bullshit. I had to serve casual at my Det until UPT so I was around that place for 5 yrs. The Det then compared to when I was a AS100 actually got worse yet we still got that award b/c the AFROTC commander recently got promoted to head of all AFROTC units and wanted to make himself look good. Don't even consider that factor to where you want to go to school.

Guest SpunkDagger
I know they give out the Right of Line award to the best small, medium and large detachment. I am just wondering if the complete ranking of all 144 is published some where.

Who cares? I think it is a horrible idea to pick a college based on the det. Unless one has rotc and one does not.

Who cares? I think it is a horrible idea to pick a college based on the det. Unless one has rotc and one does not.

Considering only 10-15% of the people that start ROTC actually finish the program, I'd go to a place you like.

Guest tenguFlyer

Just to clarify, there is no prestige in going to an "elite" det or anything like that. Obviously cadets/former cadets on here don't even know how well there dets were doing. And frankly, on AD, 99.95% of everybody doesnt care about where you went to school, how you commissioned, what det you went to, etc... That .05% are usually called shoe clerks by the pilots on here although occassionally they end up in pilot training some how.

Regardless, going to a better det will not impact your chances of success. Your det cannot influence any of the things that go into your pilot board selection except maybe FT performance. But for those of us that have been to FT we can all tell you the ranking system there is BS anyway and really has no bearing on what kind of leader you are so even then, that really doesn't matter. Your grades are completely on you. Your PFA score is completely on you. Your PCSM score is like 80% on you and 20% on whatever gifts your god gave you. Do well in grades and PT, and make a decent effort to be a good cadet around the detachment, and you will get your high commanders ranking. There are no secrets to it. Its not like the movies where you have a complete F*** up but his maverick personality reminds the Col of himself in his younger years and so he rates you higher. That just doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.

Go to whatever college you think will be the most fun and get a good education. Apply to OTS or a Guard/ Reserve unit about a year before graduation. Minimize the BS and still get the career you want. Feel sorry for your ROTC (to an extent) and Academy peers that you got to the same place they did without all that pain. It's worth the potential student loans.

Apply to OTS or a Guard/ Reserve unit about a year before graduation. Minimize the BS and still get the career you want. Feel sorry for your ROTC (to an extent) and Academy peers that you got to the same place they did without all that pain.

Going to have to disagree with you there. Not knocking our Guard and OTS bros, but personally I think the ROTC/Academy gigs are the better routes if you're shooting for the pilot gig. All will get you to the same place in the end, but just looking at the numbers the majority of slots are allocated to those two paths. But I will admit I'm a little biased, I enjoyed my ROTC tour. In fact it's pretty much what kept me at my school, you just gotta look past the BS and enjoy the opportunities it does provide you. Just my .02 though. Now as to deciding where you want to go, I completely recommend basing that off your school preference first and foremost. Not the Det or the awards they have recieved. Especially since most if not all ROTC Detachment awards are based of the queepy admin side of the house. As opposed to the daily cadet life it provides. In fact I would even argue that aspect isn't really even taken in to consideration. I just know that I have plenty of bros here on the active duty side of the house that had an amazing college experience at schools without any fancy awards or "noteriety", and guess what...they are doing exactly the same thing I am right now. Not to say I didn't enjoy my time, I just think I would have really enjoyed goin to a large D-I school. Anyways, just some ramblings for those of you up in the air. Take it or leave it, and see ya on the other side!

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I don't think people have brought up the importance of a good cadre. I have personally seen and dealt with cadre that make ROTC more than something it should be. You can get the grades, put in your face time, and rock at PT, but if the cadre doesn't care for you for who knows what reasons they can make your chances slim to none at getting what you want.

Say for instance the det here. When I came in their was 4 cadre. The WC was a NAV and a graduate from the AFA. He was the only guy that's belonged to an air crew dealing the real business the AF was initially designed to do. He knew everything about the AF and was a very successful WSO with over 2,500 flt hours in 3 different platforms. Unfortunately, he's recently retired and been replaced by a former S&M junkie.

The other cadre was made up of fat bitter comm officers that hated their previous position and came to AFROTC to tell us to run faster and get better grades. The countless times they would try and talk people out of wanting to be pilots got extremely annoying. Every time someone said they wanted to be a pilot, they'd roll their eyes like it was an expected reply. Not mention the constant reminder that the AF mission has changed, bla bla bla.

I'm all for choosing a school you want to go to, have fun, and go for what you want, but I would suggest to anyone wanting to go the ROTC route. Go visit the det first and have a one on one talk with the cadre and maybe get a idea of what they're like. Be clear with them about what you want with your future and that you desire to be an officer but that being a pilot is what you want. Doing that in a respectful, non-toolish way may go a long way to help your stay be more tolerant and prosperous. It wasn't until my second year as a 200 that I really got to start knowing the WC and building a better relationship where we'd actually talk music, movies, and so on. It helps to be known and liked.

Good luck to anyone going ROTC. You may dig it.

Edited by yerfer

Guest SpunkDagger
the importance of a good cadre.

Yes Yes.

Curious though. Our commander now is a former eagle driver. Very well respected and would go out of his way for anyone in the det. Everyone says if you wanna fly make sure he knows about it because he will do his best to help you out.

So what happens when he leaves after our current classe's 200 yr. Are we at the mercy of a new commander who could potentially shit shaft us on what we are gunning for?

Yes Yes.

Curious though. Our commander now is a former eagle driver. Very well respected and would go out of his way for anyone in the det. Everyone says if you wanna fly make sure he knows about it because he will do his best to help you out.

So what happens when he leaves after our current classe's 200 yr. Are we at the mercy of a new commander who could potentially shit shaft us on what we are gunning for?

More or less, you are. Hopefully, your current commander will relay his rankings/thoughts on the different cadets and the new guy will go with that. But there is always the possibility that the new guy will totally disregard the old commander's opinion and do his own thing

This happens all the time in ROTC and in the real AF. You just have to roll with the punches and figure out what the new commander likes/dislikes.