Lackland Buffoonery

M2

I'm surprised the MTI didn't get counseled on his use of lewd and "unprofessional" language. Seriously, we are asked (well, some of us) to kill people, and they worry about this shit? I don't think there is any plausible solution to any problem that we face on AD. When you make a suggestion, you are black-listed as someone who doesn't play by the rules, and someone who poisons the unit. At least that's how it works where I am. The best way, as I've seen, is be someone who is constantly happy no matter what. The type of happiness that you can only get when medicated, and they also have to constantly say things in regards to the core values. When a subordinate says "Sir, XX was a terrible idea, why didn't the NAF listen to our feedback before implementing this policy." The superior then responds with a smile..."Lt X, you have to realize that we need to be flexible, and we can't always get what we want..." you get the idea. Then you have the guys who think they can get to the top and change things, but by the time they do, they don't remember the buffoonery, and it all starts over again. I need a drink.

I'm so glad I have a DO who will shoot the shit with us lowly LT's and tell us straight to our faces that "you're right, LT, that shit is fvcked up, but we can't do anything about it." He doesn't blow sunshine and core values up our asses.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised the MTI didn't get counseled on his use of lewd and "unprofessional" language. Seriously, we are asked (well, some of us) to kill people, and they worry about this shit?

Dunno if I'd call that the biggest problem with the AF today... but it's definitely in the top 5. The shit that gets people spooled up in this service is, at times, beyond the stupid.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm so glad I have a DO who will shoot the shit with us lowly LT's and tell us straight to our faces that "you're right, LT, that shit is fvcked up, but we can't do anything about it." He doesn't blow sunshine and core values up our asses.

The DO is partly correct here and it is GREAT to see leadership sharing in the frustration over asinine policies, but leadership's job is to get the mission done. If something impedes/degrades that mission, it should be fought. If Lt Col XYZ will not change the policy, Gp CC concurs, and the Wing King won't override, it is leadership's job to continue up the chain, if it is that dire. Leadership is there to serve as both a bullwhip to subordinates and to shield them from higher headquarters. It is their job to fight for the little guy as well as implement formal guidance from on high. EVERY good leader I know had the balls to fight "the man" when push came to shove and stand up for his subordinates, damn the professional/career cost (though if torpedoed by other leadership, their acts were often realized and appreciated by others and they were rewarded elsewhere).

PERFECT example:

ORI time and the squadron I'm in (an MSG sq) is inspected. There are 8 findings for our squadron and 11 total in the entire group. Of the 8 findings, 6 were corrected on the spot or before the inspection was over. The other two were long-term funding shortfalls resulting in an impossibility of attaining the squadron's stated mission. Other squadrons had the same kinds of problems, but the IG folks assigned to inspect us apparently had a grudge and were out to get our commander (who wasn't always in agreement with his associated MAJCOM directorate/director). Those other squadrons with similar problems weren't written up and were simply noted in the final report, but not formally reprimanded.

The commander was "shamed" in front of his peers during the outbrief, but the results were so (painfully) obviously skewed that no one really paid them much heed. It was a running joke on base that the MAJCOM intentionally tried to sink the guy's career and how obvious it was that a grudge was being played out. The commander in question was picked up for the National War College after the attempt to torpedo his career and became a group commander at another MAJCOM base.

Another instance: a guy went up for the Major's board and the guy's commander simply lacked the necessary skills to write a proper PRF leaving out LOTS of details and giving a generally poor impression of an otherwise outstanding officer. The poor guy got passed over for 4 boards for Major. After the guy's boss moved on to "better" things, the Wing Vice heard about the situation and checked the guy out. He realized this guy should have been promoted ahead of a lot of other people. So, in 2001, despite being a 4-above-the-zone, this guy was promoted to Major because the Colonel hand walked it through every step short of entering and interfering with the board. The guy was a MAJCOM DP (definite promote)!

In short, good leaders are servants: they serve their subordinates, their needs, and make their jobs easier by cutting unnecessary red tape. They lead through their actions, not edicts/proclamations.

Ask yourself if your leadership serves you or their leaders (or even worse, themselves) and I can assure you, it is a bright line between good and bad/poor leadership.

[/leadership rant off]

.......Another instance: a guy went up for the Major's board and the guy's commander simply lacked the necessary skills to write a proper PRF leaving out LOTS of details and giving a generally poor impression of an otherwise outstanding officer. The poor guy got passed over for 4 boards for Major. After the guy's boss moved on to "better" things, the Wing Vice heard about the situation and checked the guy out. He realized this guy should have been promoted ahead of a lot of other people. So, in 2001, despite being a 4-above-the-zone, this guy was promoted to Major because the Colonel hand walked it through every step short of entering and interfering with the board. The guy was a MAJCOM DP (definite promote)!.....

Holy crap aren't promotions to Major like at 94% (even back in 2000)? Damn, did the guy write the OPR in crayon, WTF!

Holy crap aren't promotions to Major like at 94% (even back in 2000)? Damn, did the guy write the OPR in crayon, WTF!

From what I understand, the guy left a bunch of white space all over the place and gave him rather unimpressive bullets for the rest.

...might've been in crayon too, I don't know...