North Korea at it again

After a hard days sitting on the sidewalk, there is nothing better than retiring to my tent, heating up a cup of snow, propping my feet up on my dead friend in a blue body bag, and chowing down to a tasty meal of bird. Just living the American dream.

• Upvote 1

"This man, a former Republican candidate from Oregon, now has to stand in line to get coffee made from snow."

I'm confused. Was this video beamed back from the future? I know that this is the primary goal of the current administration, but I didn't think we were there yet.

Video is North Korean, voice-over is not a translation, but satire:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/how-americans-live-today-north-korea-fake-video_n_2868121.html

An English-dubbed version of an apparent North Korean propaganda video that went viral online this week turned out to be a big joke.

The video, titled

features an English voiceover purportedly translating the original Korean narration. The phony translation describes hyperbolic scenes of Americans being forced to live in tents and eating melted snow in order to survive.

The man behind the farce? British travel writer Alun Hill, who doesn't speak a word of Korean.

Hill told The Huffington Post over the phone Wednesday that the video was sent to him from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency, which said the film depicts the failure of European democracy.

Although the video was published by a range of media sites, including Mediaite, Wired, BuzzFeed, The Week, Slate, The Daily Caller, Yahoo, Telegraph and The Washington Post, it seems none of them discovered the original video on Alun Hill's YouTube page.

There, Hill clearly titled the video "

." The video is also listed in the "Comedy" and "Entertainment" sections on YouTube, rather than as "News."

There were plenty of other warning signs.

The first frame of the short film features Korean text that Hill jokingly translates as "How Americans Live Today," when in reality it says, "Capitalist Society Growing Darker," according to a HuffPost translation of the text.

Furthermore, the Korean narration of the video at the 1:29 mark, describes snow and cold temperatures. But Hill's satirical translation describes Americans eating songbirds to survive, which his translation describes as "yummy."

Earlier Wednesday, Slate changed the headline of its story, while Wired writer Spencer Ackerman told HuffPost in an email that he took his story down just hours after publishing it. At the time of writing, the URL for Ackerman's piece directs visitors to a "page not found" error message.

Ackerman apologized on Twitter for misleading his readers.

0311-world-okoreagames_full_600.jpg

Here is the other half of the picture that they cropped out:

Sylvester_stallone-rambo-2-machine-gun.jpg

I'll give them 10 points for the Hollywood pose, but 0 points for tactical effectiveness since they're firing with their eyes closed, from the hip, without any cover or concealment, in lime-green polka dot pajamas in a brown field.

Now the peasant militia in ghillie suits with what look to be grenade launchers... That's a little unnerving, but it doesn't look like any of them actually have ammo and they clump up like an AYSO soccer team, so a single M249 gunner with a nutsack would probably have a field day.

By the way, a nutsack is a 100 round assault pouch.

So apparently the ROK had a cyber attack this week: http://news.yahoo.co...-015253680.html

According to the article it was linked back to an IP address in China but due to the targets selected (banks and media companies) the culprit is thought to be good 'ol N. Korea - or N. Korea sympthathizers located in China. China apparently goes after esponiage type material in their attacks.

Anyway, what struck me was the picture of the "Cyber Terror Response Center". While illegal, and if executed by a state actor, arguably an act of war - I don't see how you can really link not being able to access your bank account to terrorism (due to the lack of violence). Now, if you were standing in line at the ATM next to a suicide bomber and could not withdraw cash because you were dead - that would be terrorism. Is cyberterroism possible? Maybe if you used hacking to actually kill people.

I think that word gets thrown around so much by national governments that it is dangerously drifting from its actual meaning. Which, according to our government is: “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).

Less words more pictures!!

tumblr_lwvvlsnXe41r8e6x4o1_500.png

• Upvote 1