North Korea at it again

36 minutes ago, Kiloalpha said:

Valid.

I'm not saying they have to "agree" on anything, per se. The deal hinges on China agreeing to absorb the Kim problem, either through offering asylum or direct regime change. In return, they get fewer (or no) US forces on their doorstep and a chance to gain diplomatically (act like a superpower... show diplomacy) and economically (trade deals to gain on SK tech and resources). I'm thinking of an agreed plan to unify the peninsula (ROK/US in the south and China/DPRK in the north) by neutralizing the governments within and slowly doing what @Clark Griswold mentioned, create a unified Korean Army/Navy/Air Force w/ related Republican government.

What do we gain? One less dictator in control of nukes, a much reduced chance of nuclear conflict and an opportunity to expand our values abroad while not doing it at the point of a knife. Our forces in ROK could find other allies in the region willing to base us... or simply bring them home. 

The premise of this entire thing is that once exposed to the light of the ROK and US, the people of the DPRK will move towards capitalism and democracy. Is it a gamble? Oh yeah it is. But, I'd rather have 50yrs of cloak and dagger détente (between two superpowers) in a stable, non-nuclear Korea than a rampaging lunatic with his finger on the button that poses a threat to the world in general.

I see your viewpoint. It is heavily dependent on China. 

Sounds like we have a losing hand in your option, why should China help if they calculate that KJU will not be the first one to fire? 

If China calculates right and does nothing, sounds a lot like a US pre-emptive strike. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...