Military Discounts

Guest J10B

T-Mobile has a great cell phone plan for military.  They are offering the T-Mobile One unlimited plan at 20-50% off depending on how many phones you have: 

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/military-phone-plans

I’m paying $80 for unlimited everything on 2 phones which includes free Netflix (if you already have Netflix, they take over the payments), international roaming, hotspot, etc.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, Runr6730 said:

T-Mobile has a great cell phone plan for military.  They are offering the T-Mobile One unlimited plan at 20-50% off depending on how many phones you have: 

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/military-phone-plans

I’m paying $80 for unlimited everything on 2 phones which includes free Netflix (if you already have Netflix, they take over the payments), international roaming, hotspot, etc.

Yep I get this too. Super cheap. Just gotta get used to the finicky coverage if you're switching from Verizon or something.

Yep I get this too. Super cheap. Just gotta get used to the finicky coverage if you're switching from Verizon or something.

I tried T-mobile. Lasted less than a month. Their coverage sucks. Completely inop on base it Little Rock and not good in other places.

Be sure to check T-Mobile coverage not just in places you live and work, but also transit frequently.  We looked at a stretch of interstate that we use to travel back and forth to see family and it looked like trying to get coverage in northern Siberia.  Even the customer service rep at the store shrugged her shoulders.  We are keeping our eye on the Sprint merger and how that will change their coverage.  The price plan is as-advertised, though.  No gimmicks.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, Champ Kind said:

Be sure to check T-Mobile coverage not just in places you live and work, but also transit frequently.  We looked at a stretch of interstate that we use to travel back and forth to see family and it looked like trying to get coverage in northern Siberia.  Even the customer service rep at the store shrugged her shoulders.  We are keeping our eye on the Sprint merger and how that will change their coverage.  The price plan is as-advertised, though.  No gimmicks.

I can't imagine it's going to get any better with the Sprint merger. I switched from Sprint originally, and if there's one provider with less coverage than T-Mobile it's definitely Sprint. I doubt there's a single square inch of land that Sprint has that T-Mobile doesn't already have covered, haha.

Edited by admdelta

I can't imagine it's going to get any better with the Sprint merger. I switched from Sprint originally, and if there's one provider with less coverage than T-Mobile it's definitely Sprint. I doubt there's a single square inch of land that Sprint has that T-Mobile doesn't already have covered, haha.

Sprint also operates on CDMA based networks while T-mobile uses GSM. While most phones ship with radios for both, it probably puts a significant drain on your battery to have it constantly searching both for better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone seeing this in your Verizon "My Offers"? If it really is $30 off on top of the current military discount, that's a total $45 off. I keep getting an error page when I click continue, so I can't confirm if it works.
image.png.69ab9a2a5ef352ad09541decb13188cd.png

Image isn’t working for me but if it’s a military discount on unlimited data it’s definitely a thing. I got a random text and called Verizon because I thought it was a scam. Saving $10 a month now for unlimited (previously had 8 gbs/mo).

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 months later...

The best way is to check out a book from your local library on that subject matter. You can get a general idea on the subject. But to get into the details it's always best to buy a book.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Advantage-2017-Military-com-Veterans/dp/1682472299/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1540249746&sr=1-1&keywords=the+military+advantage

Sorry if sombody else already posted this book. There are about 6 pages of replies. It's allot of replies. How can anybody find time to read 6 pages? Anyways, I hope the book helps. I read it, and found stuff like free braces, interest free loans, and free travel.

Edited by StopLoss123

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Sit On Acorns said:

Confirming that I got the extra Verizon discount to work...total of $45 off per month.

I spent 5 hours on the phone “with” them over the course of 3 days, and only 2 of those hours were with an actual person after getting disconnected several times. Still no answers. Lots of confusion. All I wanted to know is what my bill would be if I signed up with them. Would you mind sharing what your monthly bill is? Would be very much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Klepto said:

I spent 5 hours on the phone “with” them over the course of 3 days, and only 2 of those hours were with an actual person after getting disconnected several times. Still no answers. Lots of confusion. All I wanted to know is what my bill would be if I signed up with them. Would you mind sharing what your monthly bill is? Would be very much appreciated!

I used their chat function.  Much easier.  My monthly bill for two lines unlimited is $97 after taxes and bullshit. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 1:15 PM, Sit On Acorns said:

Anyone seeing this in your Verizon "My Offers"? If it really is $30 off on top of the current military discount, that's a total $45 off. I keep getting an error page when I click continue, so I can't confirm if it works.

image.png.69ab9a2a5ef352ad09541decb13188cd.png

On 8/17/2018 at 5:42 PM, baileynme said:

Image isn’t working for me but if it’s a military discount on unlimited data it’s definitely a thing. I got a random text and called Verizon because I thought it was a scam. Saving $10 a month now for unlimited (previously had 8 gbs/mo).

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 12/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, uhhello said:

I used their chat function.  Much easier.  My monthly bill for two lines unlimited is $97 after taxes and bullshit. 

Was there a certain code or verbiage that you used to get them to give you the discount?  

Also, I'm currently on an 8GB/month plan.  It's usually just barely enough.  Considering switching to unlimited, but I heard the speeds decrease.  Any truth to that?

My wife got some weird text back in the summer from Verizon about a extra military discount. I called because it looked like a scam but it ended up being legit. After taxes and the bs charges it’s $100 for 2 lines with unlimited everything. I haven’t noticed any speed decrease in my phone but the wife’s phone which is newer than mine has been really slow, I’m guessing it’s a phone issue since mine is normal. 

• 10 months later...

On the Verizon thing... so this is what I found.  I'm hoping somebody actually has 3 lines to tell me what your bill is.

If you're an active duty military service member, a veteran, or a first responder, you're eligible for an account-level discount when you have 1 or more phones on Start Unlimited, Play More Unlimited, Do More Unlimited, Get More Unlimited and/or Just Kids:

1 phone – $10 discount per account
2 – 3 phones – $25 discount per account
4+ phones – $20 discount per account

I need 3 lines, so I'm looking at $45/mo/line for Start Unlimited, minus $25/mo/line, so $20/mo/line + taxes/fees?  Right now my taxes/fees are ~$17.  So 3 lines for $77/mo?  That'd be awesome, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Nevermind, I was reading that as account = line.  Not so much.  So 3 lines would be about $127, I think? 

Edited by nunya

On the Verizon thing... so this is what I found.  I'm hoping somebody actually has 3 lines to tell me what your bill is.

If you're an active duty military service member, a veteran, or a first responder, you're eligible for an account-level discount when you have 1 or more phones on Start Unlimited, Play More Unlimited, Do More Unlimited, Get More Unlimited and/or Just Kids:

1 phone – $10 discount per account

2 – 3 phones – $25 discount per account

4+ phones – $20 discount per account

I need 3 lines, so I'm looking at $45/mo/line for Start Unlimited, minus $25/mo/line, so $20/mo/line + taxes/fees?  Right now my taxes/fees are ~$17.  So 3 lines for $77/mo?  That'd be awesome, but I feel like I'm missing something.

You should be able to see the discount before you confirm the plan change on the Verizon webpage. You could also just call them and they’ll tell you what the discounted prices will be.

But I do think you’re reading it wrong. It is a discount per account not per line. So with three lines you would get a $25 discount. Not a $75 discount like you calculate.

4 hours ago, nunya said:

Nevermind, I was reading that as account = line.  Not so much.  So 3 lines would be about $127, I think? 

Sounds right, my bill for 2 lines of unlimited talk/text/data is right around $100 a month. 

• 2 months later...

So let's talk Lowes and Home Depot...

I used to have nothing but great things to say about these two establishments when it came to their military discount program. In the past, I've gotten the 10% off anything and everything in their stores, even clearance items. I once got the military discount on a $500, slightly damaged bathroom vanity that was on clearance for $120. I have also gotten the military discount on multiple appliances, even ones that were on sale already.

Well, as with most good things, they come to an end. Lowes and Home Depot no longer will give the military discount on items that are on sale/clearance. You still get it on regularly priced items with a max discount per purchase up to $500. Now, normally I could say, "I understand" to this as I know everyone has to make money. However, upon strolling through both stores in the past few weeks refrigerator shopping, I have noticed that the majority of their appliances are in "sale" or "super buy" status all the time. Their "sale" prices have become their everyday prices. They'll advertise a refrigerator for $2,499 down from "originally" $3,999 and act like it is on sale, but this model will be $2,499 about 362 days out of the year and basically disqualifies you for using the military discount.

Again, I get it. They need to make money, but it just put a bad taste in my mouth. If I can't use my discount on an item because they have it "on sale" all the time, I guess I will just go shop online for the same item somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Gazmo said:

So let's talk Lowes and Home Depot...

I used to have nothing but great things to say about these two establishments when it came to their military discount program. In the past, I've gotten the 10% off anything and everything in their stores, even clearance items. I once got the military discount on a $500, slightly damaged bathroom vanity that was on clearance for $120. I have also gotten the military discount on multiple appliances, even ones that were on sale already.

Well, as with most good things, they come to an end. Lowes and Home Depot no longer will give the military discount on items that are on sale/clearance. You still get it on regularly priced items with a max discount per purchase up to $500. Now, normally I could say, "I understand" to this as I know everyone has to make money. However, upon strolling through both stores in the past few weeks refrigerator shopping, I have noticed that the majority of their appliances are in "sale" or "super buy" status all the time. Their "sale" prices have become their everyday prices. They'll advertise a refrigerator for $2,499 down from "originally" $3,999 and act like it is on sale, but this model will be $2,499 about 362 days out of the year and basically disqualifies you for using the military discount.

Again, I get it. They need to make money, but it just put a bad taste in my mouth. If I can't use my discount on an item because they have it "on sale" all the time, I guess I will just go shop online for the same item somewhere else.

Get over it.  You aren't entitled to anything.