Military Discounts

Guest J10B

Progenex (a protein powder mostly used by Crossfitters) has a 20% military discount. You just have to email them at customerservice@progenexusa.com from your .mil address and they will give you the coupon code.

• 2 months later...

For any of you who frequent Southwest, with their new military contract, their military discounts are now substantial for last second travel. You have to call them on the phone, and the ticket is non-refundable. You can buy tickets day before travel for around $170 each way.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another bump for the American Express Platinum charge card with the $450 annual fee waived for active duty military members.

AMEX Platinum Benefits include

• $200 Annual Airline Credit
  • $100 application fee reimbursed for Global Entry
  • Gold Status With Starwood Hotels
  • Free Airport Lounge Access for You and Two Guests
  • Car Rental Elite Status
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Platinum Concierge

I purchased $200 in United gift certificates which was promptly reimbursed by AMEX. I've used the free access to airport lounges three times in the last two weeks: twice in the Delta Sky Club and once in the US Airways Club (doesn't work for United). I haven't had a chance to use the Starwood Gold benefits yet, but that's good for a late checkout option to 4 o'clock among other things. Can't say no to free money. $200 and 8 free drinks drinks so far.

This is the letter I got:

To support the men and women who serve in the United States Armed Forces, we are handling your account referenced above in accordance with the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act provides for a maximum annual interest rate of 6% per year on loans you received before starting active military duty. As of today, your account does not have a balance owed which generates interest charges so there is no eligible balance. However, we have waived the following fees on the account for the duration of your active military duty:

• Annual Membership fees
  • Overlimit fees
  • Late Payment fees
  • Returned Payment fees
  • Statement Copy Request fees

This completes our review of this account, if there are any additional accounts you would like reviewed for Servicemembers Civil Relief Act benefits, please call us at 1-800-253-1720. If you're outside the United States, call us collect at 1-336-393-1111.

We are grateful for the service and devotion you have shown to our country.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Care

Doesn't matter when you upgrade or ask for the credit...you can upgrade the card any time, even after you call them, and they'll still charge you $0 annual fee. I got over $1600 refunded all at once to cover a decade+ of annual fees with just a phone call. took a couple weeks for them to verify (not sure how they do that) and then it just showed up as credit. Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Was shopping for a bunch of stuff at the BX yesterday and found out that through the 12th (or maybe 15th) of June if you sign up for their StarCard you get 20% off what you're buying that day. Saved just over $100 with the discount and a $20 gift card they throw in when your purchase is more than a certain amount. Little bit of paperwork to take care of and I really don't plan on using the thing anymore, but definitely worth the cash.

• 1 month later...

Not quite as good as getting a shit-ton of money back from AMEX, but...

If you're in the Atlanta area with your family/kids and have some time to kill, the Georgia Aquarium, The Children's Museum of Atlanta, and the SkyView Atlanta (new, big-ass Ferris wheel in Centennial Park) offer a .mil discount for the whole family.

• 3 weeks later...

Was anyone able to get the AMEX Platinum and get your spouse a card as well, with the fee waived? I currently have the Delta AMEX and really get pretty good use out of the companion certificate. However, if I could get the platinum card with an extra card for my wife, with the fee waived on both, that would certainly be a good deal.

Any advice?