Gunships arriving at Cannon

war007afa

I've been there over four years and finally drew a tag this year. I would definitely say it is not easier for military. Being a resident is where you gain an advantage since NM has changed its non resident policies recently. Also, if you do put in for the draw do not expect NM to refund your money like they are supposed to post draw. The best I have received since moving here was roughly half of what I was supposed to get refunded.

I was told if you are an Afghanistan vet you go to the front of the draw.

All I found specifically for Iraq/Afghanistan vets is an Oryx hunt on WSMR that we can register for. The other military benefits are reduced fees for game and fish licenses for guard and active resident veterans and a free one year game and fish license for resident veterans who went on active duty after 4/3/03 and have deactivated.

http://www.wildlife....tunity_2012.pdf

Otherwise for Elk, there is a "Veterans Only" hunt 10-12 Nov. No such luck for deer or Pronghorn.

http://www.wildlife....ections/elk.pdf

And for licensing purposes, being assigned to Cannon makes us NM residents (second page down, #4).

http://www.wildlife....information.pdf

Edited by Rocker
  • Upvote 1

I was told if you are an Afghanistan vet you go to the front of the draw.

False.

All I found specifically for Iraq/Afghanistan vets is an Oryx hunt on WSMR that we can register for. The other military benefits are reduced fees for game and fish licenses for guard and active resident veterans and a free one year game and fish license for resident veterans who went on active duty after 4/3/03 and have deactivated.

http://www.wildlife....tunity_2012.pdf

Otherwise for Elk, there is a "Veterans Only" hunt 10-12 Nov. No such luck for deer or Pronghorn.

http://www.wildlife....ections/elk.pdf

And for licensing purposes, being assigned to Cannon makes us NM residents (second page down, #4).

http://www.wildlife....information.pdf

All true. Don't forget about ibex. Best hunt I've ever been on. Got drawn again this year, too!

• 1 month later...

Been my experience that people will even complain if you hang them with a brand new rope. It is about priorities. I have a wife and kids (kids are teen and tween), so I don't care about the local bar scene. Also been my experience that when people mention things to do, it means, "things to eat". My life doesn't revolve around what I eat, so, I don't care. You can shoot, hike, camp, fish, shoot, hunt, dirtbike, snowboard and do all manner of outdoor things here that you can't do in FL. I love mountains (the one thing I would move to this place, if I could). I hate rednecks, overcrowding, humidity, traffic and tailgaters and the beach gets old, after two days. My family loves it here and my wife is about to start working at the university. Is it the best place ever? No but its good enough for now. My priorities aren't the same and this is fine for me and mine.

Disclaimer, I may be a bit biased, as I am from "constitutional carry" Arizona and can drive home in no time.

Anyone do any Elk Hunting in NM? Seems like it would be worth the drive.

Depends on your area of interest. NM Game and fish post draw results and odds for each zone. Best areas are up north in the Lincoln national forest, or down further to the south near Ruidoso. I have drawn a bull tag two years in a row. I have not heard that vets go to the front of the lottery, but I do know a lot of people that drew out this year. I was not able to use my tag last year due to deployment, I could not get a refund and did not have better odds the following year as a result. They will let you transfer your tag to someone else though.

Depends on your area of interest. NM Game and fish post draw results and odds for each zone. Best areas are up north in the Lincoln national forest, or down further to the south near Ruidoso. I have drawn a bull tag two years in a row. I have not heard that vets go to the front of the lottery, but I do know a lot of people that drew out this year. I was not able to use my tag last year due to deployment, I could not get a refund and did not have better odds the following year as a result. They will let you transfer your tag to someone else though.

Nice. Have you tagged a bull out there yet? Thanks for the tips. Are the odds of getting a tag any better for archery only?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Can't remember where I read it, but are they starting to test and eventually convert MC130Js into Gunships replacing the H and Us?

The 18th at Hurbie is running the Wiskey program which is a test bed for pretty much everything that will eventually funnel to the AC-J.

Actually, SOCOM with help from the 780 TS at Eglin and the 413th FLTS at Hurlburt (both AFMC DT squadrons) run the whiskey tests. The 18th (AFSOC OT, who share a building with the 413th) has some involvement, but they don't run any of the tests.

The first AC-J is bring modded at Eglin now, and the program (based on Whiskey stuff) is being run by the 413th, augmented by the 18th, who will also run the OT portion eventually.

Actually, SOCOM with help from the 780 TS at Eglin and the 413th FLTS at Hurlburt (both AFMC DT squadrons) run the whiskey tests. The 18th (AFSOC OT, who share a building with the 413th) has some involvement, but they don't run any of the tests.

The first AC-J is bring modded at Eglin now, and the program (based on Whiskey stuff) is being run by the 413th, augmented by the 18th, who will also run the OT portion eventually.

Thanks for the correction, I should have worded that differently. Those silly 18th guys making it sound like they're running the show lol