Gunships arriving at Cannon

war007afa

First two will be there tomorrow. Get ready for the noise fellas.

Damn I'm going to miss the beach...(and by beach I mean near an actual ocean) :bash:

But you'll love the VFW on steak night! (take the fun where you can!)

The range is way far enough way...noise won't be an issue!

Guest Vat_69

Damn I'm going to miss the beach...(and by beach I mean near an actual ocean) :bash:

You should write a letter to the SecDef about it... I kid, I kid!

Edited by Vat_69

If we can here the noise then this place will be one step closer to feeling like being deployed. (waterless beach, out in the middle of nowhere, 100+ temps, combative local gov't, and now the sounds of explosions off in the distance)

If we can here the noise then this place will be one step closer to feeling like being deployed. (waterless beach, out in the middle of nowhere, 100+ temps, combative local gov't, and now the sounds of explosions off in the distance)

Here or hear? You must be a gunner! :thumbsup:

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
I hear it's kind of like Dyess - only nowhere near as awesome.

Bring the pain!!

LOL, that's sick.

All that's missing is the reflective belts :rainbow::bohica::rainbow:

But you'll love the VFW on steak night! (take the fun where you can!)

The range is way far enough way...noise won't be an issue!

Do they still spend Saturday night parading up and down main street from the old Santa Fe terminal up to the Orange Julious?? I never really understood about the concept of "drainage streets" until I arrived at Clovis (of course, that was a couple of decades ago...but it probably hasn't changed much).

I saw a 2 ship coming in around 1600ish...

And now we get to hear about a/c performance at cvs, welcome to our lives for the past year and change.

cheers :beer:

Welcome to our lives for the past 35 yrs.

Your comparing this

42a8_1.JPG

to this?

finishedtruck001.jpg

You need to take a ride in the ol'e whistlin shithouse when the weather warms up.

:beer:

All that's missing is the reflective belts :rainbow::bohica::rainbow:

Nope, they've already got those too. Reflective belts are required anywhere on base at KCVS after dark, regardless of what you're wearing. Uniform, civvies, it doesn't matter. Hubble better be able to keep track of you. And don't think for a second that the sky cops would use some judgment and look the other way. You're walking the dog around the block in civvies after dark with no belt? BAM, ticket.

You can write me all the tickets you want gents, I'm not going to carry an emergency reflective belt in the back pocket of my jeans for the occasion that I get stuck in the BX checkout line longer than expected and come outside after dusk. Keep chipping away at common sense and morale you spineless CYA leaders.

Don't worry about the fact that you've got a probable performance related gunship class A looming on the near horizon and GUARANTEED reduced training effectiveness for its crews. Don't worry about the war efforts we're currently engaged in.

Just make sure that in the event that a car comes careening across 100 yards of open field into the playground I'm sitting in, and I fail to realize this and move out of the way, that the driver can't possibly fail to see me. And if the driver, after abandoning them during the 100 yard drive across the field, suddenly comes to his senses and acts on the visual of a radioactive person sitting in his hellbent path by swerving to avoid me, leadership can certainly be credited for the save.

When can I sign my separation papers again?

Nope, they've already got those too. Reflective belts are required anywhere on base at KCVS after dark, regardless of what you're wearing. Uniform, civvies, it doesn't matter. Hubble better be able to keep track of you. And don't think for a second that the sky cops would use some judgment and look the other way. You're walking the dog around the block in civvies after dark with no belt? BAM, ticket.

Really? I have been here almost a year and never heard that...even talked to cops at night...no tickets...plus if it was a requirement, they would have to be wearing one too.

Guest Wh4tig0t
Really? I have been here almost a year and never heard that...even talked to cops at night...no tickets...plus if it was a requirement, they would have to be wearing one too.

Yeah I havn't seen them worn at night yet.

Well, I guess I need to go talk to the sky cops tomorrow and a get a clarification. Maybe there's a nuance that I'm not seeing. But if there is, it wasn't explained to me while I was having my ticket written. It was certainly represented as, "you're out after dark with no reflective belt". But I didn't ask many questions because my jaw was on the pavement the whole time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vat_69

New gunship plan: 8 modified MC-130Ws

By Sam LaGrone - Staff writer

Posted : Tuesday Jun 2, 2009 16:28:08 EDT

Special Operations Command plans to convert eight existing C-130 variants into multi-role gunships to support the wars in Iraq in Afghanistan.

As part of the fiscal 2010 budget, the Defense Department has set aside $31.6 million to begin equipping eight MC-130Ws with limited gunship capability, according to budget documents. The additional firepower will buttress the two dozen aging AC-130H/U Spectre and Spooky gunships, Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz and Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told members of Congress during a May hearing. The AC-130s are in high demand in Iraq and Afghanistan for night-time flyovers.

According to the Defense Department’s special operations budget, existing MC-130s would be modified to include “an armed over-watch capability including sensors, communication systems, precision guided munitions and a single medium-caliber gun.”

Gunship recapitalization has rated high on Special Operations Command’s wish list, according to analyst Roger Carstens, a former Army special operator, in a paper titled “The Future of Special Operations Forces.”

The eight converted MC-130Ws would have a modular weapons system allowing the plane to be easily reconfigured for other special operations missions, unlike more traditional gunships with fixed gun positions, said Special Operations Command spokesman, Maj. Wes Ticer.

The MC-130W Combat Spear flies missions that include moving assets and troops in and out of forward areas and aerial refueling of special operations helicopters.

The latest plan to convert MC-130Ws is less ambitious than an earlier proposal to field a fleet of 16 C-27 gunships. The light-cargo Spartan would have been modified to act as a more agile companion to the existing fleet.

Those plans were scrapped after the C-27 original buy of 75 aircraft was cut in half and the Army was dropped from the joint program.

The new Air Force gunship plan has similarities with a bid from the Marine Corps to create its own modular gunship.

The Corps has is soliciting a contract with Lockheed Martin to develop the three Harvest Hawks, a KC-130J with a targeting sensor, operating station, Hellfire missiles and 30mm cannon, according to a proposal from Naval Air Systems Command.

New gunship plan: 8 modified MC-130Ws

By Sam LaGrone - Staff writer

Posted : Tuesday Jun 2, 2009 16:28:08 EDT

Special Operations Command plans to convert eight existing C-130 variants into multi-role gunships to support the wars in Iraq in Afghanistan.

As part of the fiscal 2010 budget, the Defense Department has set aside $31.6 million to begin equipping eight MC-130Ws with limited gunship capability, according to budget documents. The additional firepower will buttress the two dozen aging AC-130H/U Spectre and Spooky gunships, Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz and Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told members of Congress during a May hearing. The AC-130s are in high demand in Iraq and Afghanistan for night-time flyovers.

According to the Defense Department’s special operations budget, existing MC-130s would be modified to include “an armed over-watch capability including sensors, communication systems, precision guided munitions and a single medium-caliber gun.”

Gunship recapitalization has rated high on Special Operations Command’s wish list, according to analyst Roger Carstens, a former Army special operator, in a paper titled “The Future of Special Operations Forces.”

The eight converted MC-130Ws would have a modular weapons system allowing the plane to be easily reconfigured for other special operations missions, unlike more traditional gunships with fixed gun positions, said Special Operations Command spokesman, Maj. Wes Ticer.

The MC-130W Combat Spear flies missions that include moving assets and troops in and out of forward areas and aerial refueling of special operations helicopters.

The latest plan to convert MC-130Ws is less ambitious than an earlier proposal to field a fleet of 16 C-27 gunships. The light-cargo Spartan would have been modified to act as a more agile companion to the existing fleet.

Those plans were scrapped after the C-27 original buy of 75 aircraft was cut in half and the Army was dropped from the joint program.

The new Air Force gunship plan has similarities with a bid from the Marine Corps to create its own modular gunship.

The Corps has is soliciting a contract with Lockheed Martin to develop the three Harvest Hawks, a KC-130J with a targeting sensor, operating station, Hellfire missiles and 30mm cannon, according to a proposal from Naval Air Systems Command.

When did the AC-27 get scrapped? First I've heard of it.